g0ldf1ng3r

g0ldf1ng3r's VR6

30 minutes ago, fla said:

That looks absolutely stunning! Was the sunroof switch surround a single piece or stitched?

thanks m8, it wasnt cheap but i am very happy with it

i think the sunroof switch part was covered with a single piece & then cut out where required

i used a local place by me called B&M Trim - ive used them a few times & their work is superb

1 hour ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

thanks chris

errr id thought about putting a black one in as i have a black one in the 16v but i think it was out of a golf as the style is different

i kinda quite like the accent the grey gives the overhead though, might look too black if all black

Yes looks nice, I have a black one and the same style as that if you change your mind.

Just now, ChrisL said:

Yes looks nice, I have a black one and the same style as that if you change your mind.

ohhhh now that is tempting ha ha ha

what would you like to relinquish of said item?  just in case 😉

9 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

ohhhh now that is tempting ha ha ha

what would you like to relinquish of said item?  just in case 😉

🤣 I don’t know mate, £55 posted?

thread title changed this morning as the day finally came when i parted with the 16v

my driveway looks thoroughly empty last night with just the R53 sat there all alone

im pleased to say that the 16v has gone to a good home where the new owner is a friend & plans to bring it back to how it deserves to be, fortunately he also lives very local & i will be helping & advising him on his journey

on a good note i dropped a new alternator over to my mechanic on the weekend & he said the VR6 underside is pretty much stripped & they will be collating the parts to go off for blasting & powder coating this week.

i also finally dropped the modena's off to the painter & am aiming to get them back, rebuilt & tyres on ready for the geometry to be set once everything is back together

had a nice big box with not much in it at all from Heritage today so thanks to my friend i now have a pair of new gutter roof trim

Look forward to the updates on the VR6 and sounds like you have some tasty things coming up. A shame the 16v has moved on but I suppose also a relief in someways with one less old car to care for (I have the same issue - corrado vr, mk3 golf 16v and mk2 golf 16v - like them all but 1 is going this year). 

On 1/9/2023 at 9:54 PM, Cressa said:

Oooo the new VW roof gutter trims are very nice

true m8 they are very nice indeed but DAMN they are expensive for what they are

but at least it will add to those finishing touches

On 1/10/2023 at 11:13 AM, MJA said:

Look forward to the updates on the VR6 and sounds like you have some tasty things coming up. A shame the 16v has moved on but I suppose also a relief in someways with one less old car to care for (I have the same issue - corrado vr, mk3 golf 16v and mk2 golf 16v - like them all but 1 is going this year). 

yes m8 it is a bit of relief too as i really didnt want to end up breaking it for parts

plus unfortunately i dont have the time, money or inclination to restore another, im 13 years into the VR6 but apart from bottom end rebuild this is the last big stage

have you decided which one to part with?  it is indeed a lot of hard work trying to keep on top of 3 cars!

i did barter with myself in terms of if i sold the 16v i would use the money to floor my downstairs at home (which will be my house pretty much finished) & also treat the mini to a few more tasty bits - it is currently a 5.5s 0-60 & i would like to get it to 5s if possible with some more weight stripped out & maybe a little more power 😄

Those Mini's are ace and the supercharger noise keeps it feeling special. My brother had one years ago and replaced it with a turbo one which wasn't the same (still handled nicely though!). R53s are a good investment today too.

I think it's the mk3 16v that is going. I have a chap interested in it as it stands - MOTd (next week hopfefully), fully refreshed on the frames + powdercoated, bushes, bearings, engine gaskets and coolant bits. Bilstein B12 + a Miltek exhaust. Refurb'd/powdercoated calipers and new brake lines. Shell has zero rot but needs paint on the bonnet and roof to finish off. It's only done 78k and if you believe the "investor" hype that's a good number (my corrado is 155k and mk2 162k) but ultimately I don't think the mk3 is as good as the Corrado or the mk2 as a weekend type car. It won't be a profit but it's another one saved and I mostly enjoyed the process of the work. 

Like you with the Corrado I have done loads and the bottom end is something I haven't touched yet either. No issues touch wood yet but if it does it does. The car irratated me in 2022 and i did attempt to sell it but every time I drive it I love it so I think also like you I'm in for the long haul. I have had it 5 years and all running gear has been replaced (like the mk3) and top end rebuilt + 263 cams + chains and cluch. I had it painted and the job was good except for a couple of areas I am not happy with and I plan to get them resolved this year and the mk3 can pay for it so it doesn't hurt so much. I was lucky enough to get myself some audioscapes for it and some LHD console dials with a RHD fasic convesion plate. Short of some black recaros it is almost perfect for me so can live alongside something else in the garage for many years happily. 

The mk2 I bought as a bit of knee jerk. It was oak green, a 16v and had super expensive (OZ Futura) alloys I sold and got myself a reasonable mk2 16v as a result. The engine is a 2.0 ABF under the kjet so power to weight wise it is on par with the Corrado with cams or near enough. It also needs a little work on the scuttle and the arches have been rolled at the back & cut at the front so I'd like those repaired. Out of the Corrado and the mk2 it's probably the Corrado as drivers car that pips it so I may end up shfiting the mk2 on as well and getting something more modern and less old car hassle eventually. Although I also have found audioscapes pods and an immaculate rainbow interior + have already powdercoated the frames and done the bushes, brake calipers and brake lines so it will probably be hard to shift that on too from an attachment point of view. I think as I have the space for 2 indoors it's probably ok but I wouldn't mind just have 1 old VW in the longer term and try something else out... an early 996 calls me occassionally but also others things like a Megane RS (mk2 ones), Toyota GT86, edition 30 Golf, Mini R53s so we'll see.

But yes good to narrow down the cars as progress slows overall and it gets a bit frustrating. Look forward to the updates on your VR6 and like what you have done with it. The new wheels are going to look great on it - 5 spokes for the win, 5 spokes splits even better.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:09 PM, MJA said:

Those Mini's are ace and the supercharger noise keeps it feeling special. My brother had one years ago and replaced it with a turbo one which wasn't the same (still handled nicely though!). R53s are a good investment today too.

I think it's the mk3 16v that is going. I have a chap interested in it as it stands - MOTd (next week hopfefully), fully refreshed on the frames + powdercoated, bushes, bearings, engine gaskets and coolant bits. Bilstein B12 + a Miltek exhaust. Refurb'd/powdercoated calipers and new brake lines. Shell has zero rot but needs paint on the bonnet and roof to finish off. It's only done 78k and if you believe the "investor" hype that's a good number (my corrado is 155k and mk2 162k) but ultimately I don't think the mk3 is as good as the Corrado or the mk2 as a weekend type car. It won't be a profit but it's another one saved and I mostly enjoyed the process of the work. 

Like you with the Corrado I have done loads and the bottom end is something I haven't touched yet either. No issues touch wood yet but if it does it does. The car irratated me in 2022 and i did attempt to sell it but every time I drive it I love it so I think also like you I'm in for the long haul. I have had it 5 years and all running gear has been replaced (like the mk3) and top end rebuilt + 263 cams + chains and cluch. I had it painted and the job was good except for a couple of areas I am not happy with and I plan to get them resolved this year and the mk3 can pay for it so it doesn't hurt so much. I was lucky enough to get myself some audioscapes for it and some LHD console dials with a RHD fasic convesion plate. Short of some black recaros it is almost perfect for me so can live alongside something else in the garage for many years happily. 

The mk2 I bought as a bit of knee jerk. It was oak green, a 16v and had super expensive (OZ Futura) alloys I sold and got myself a reasonable mk2 16v as a result. The engine is a 2.0 ABF under the kjet so power to weight wise it is on par with the Corrado with cams or near enough. It also needs a little work on the scuttle and the arches have been rolled at the back & cut at the front so I'd like those repaired. Out of the Corrado and the mk2 it's probably the Corrado as drivers car that pips it so I may end up shfiting the mk2 on as well and getting something more modern and less old car hassle eventually. Although I also have found audioscapes pods and an immaculate rainbow interior + have already powdercoated the frames and done the bushes, brake calipers and brake lines so it will probably be hard to shift that on too from an attachment point of view. I think as I have the space for 2 indoors it's probably ok but I wouldn't mind just have 1 old VW in the longer term and try something else out... an early 996 calls me occassionally but also others things like a Megane RS (mk2 ones), Toyota GT86, edition 30 Golf, Mini R53s so we'll see.

But yes good to narrow down the cars as progress slows overall and it gets a bit frustrating. Look forward to the updates on your VR6 and like what you have done with it. The new wheels are going to look great on it - 5 spokes for the win, 5 spokes splits even better.

ha ha the charger doesnt half scream!  i had it serviced not long after buying the car.

with all the mods on it it is major ASBO when you drive it hard, never fails to raise a smile.  the handling is superb too with the only exception being lift off oversteer if you get your corner entry speeds wrong

ive softened the blow of selling the 16v with a nice shiny new Airtec intercooler for it.  hopefully with that & dropping some more weight i can get it to approx 1 tonne & a sub 5s 0-60

good luck with the Mk3 then, i think i would agree with moving that one along seeing as you have the corrado & a Mk2

ha ha jesus our corrados are very similar with what we have done - i also had 263's dropped in during a top end rebuild with chains, clutch & lots of other stuff.  i converted early audioscapes to late & have recently managed to grab myself a set of VDO gauges & an early model facia plate for them in the centre console.

even the paint part ha ha ha! mine was also painted recently but has a couple of areas im not happy with when looking very closely

interesting that you found a console facia conversion plate, ive never heard or seen of one!  where did you locate that?  

i seriously cant wait until spring & the underside is complete & modena's on - they are the only wheel ive ever really wanted on it & they are turning out pretty damn special

Yea we are quite similar plugging away at our rados! Yours looks a fab with the kit. Shame all the old pics have gone from the forum as makes it hard to place cars to names for newbies.

The fascia plate came from Ed Hawkins on Facebook. I think he is corrado16v in here - he had a for sale post recently- black vr6 with 16in speedlines and lots of mechanical work. The plate was 50 quid and comes with instructions on where to cut..... that said I havent installed it yet.

The 263s change the car dont they. Lots more midrange and an added lump at the top. The cars can get frustrating at times but my fairly recent view is to look at what you have achieved and be proud and no car is perfect.

I debate on the mk3. I do quite like the shape and where am I going to find a rot free, 3 door, 78k, big mechanical refresh, low owners 16v again. I only need to get the roof and bonnet painted (bonnet more so) and it should be low maintenance for 5 years at least on my mileage. The curse of the attainable VWs and even worse when you've put a lot of effort into them. The only winner is the buyer. I do think to other cars but have had VW/VAG in my blood for at least 20 years I dont think id be happy elsewhere long term. Plus I like the variety of multiple cars.

The r53 sounds a right riot. Could add details to this thread? I'm interested and I'm sure others will be too. Im going to do one on my corrado, mk3 and mk2 to try and bring some extra content and maybe new members.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

thanks matt

when i brought the 16v for the 1st time about 22 years ago it was the Kamei kit on it which made it more attractive than other corrado's on the market at the time

as such i jumped at the chance for a kit for the VR6 when i spotted similar on a for sale ad, a chance email later & a deal was done - IMO it really does bring out the best in the lines of the car design

ive never seen or heard of that adapter plate.  i have seen some pics of the early facia i have gotten hold of but ive no fitting instructions & not quite sure how the facia is meant to hold in place.  plus it has small tabs on the underside which will need removing at a guess.  i have put the install of it to the back of the queue as i need to prioritise the new Cat1 for the agreed valuation

i do indeed love the 263's & other bits!  plus the remap that vince at Stealth did is night & day difference to the OE map, feels a lot more responsive & linear power application.  it was a pity i hadnt gotten the longlife SS fitted prior to mapping but hey ho.  did you get yours mapped after the cams were put in?

you are right corrado's (and other cars) can become frustrating BUT even after nearly 23 years driving one it is the only car i look back at every single time i get out of it.  there is also the benefit that with them being older cars we can actually work on them ourselves

hmmm maybe you should keep the mk3 then, taking into account all the factors you mentioned. we both know that kind of level of work is both timely & costly.  I am hopeful that my dad & i this year may start down the journey of getting his 911 back on the road after many years & i imagine that will need running gear etc as well as an engine refresh.

m8! the R53 has to be some of the best, most fun 2 grand ive ever spent!  it was heavily modded when i brought it & was also well spec'd from factory with Aero kit etc. 

ive stripped the back to metal & wires & seeing as i never listen to the stereo in it im going to strip all the HK amps & speakers etc out as well.  if i can get it to a tonne it has some mega power to weight ratio.  my best friend has also said that when her current bucket seats hit their track expiry date i can have them so their will be a fair weight coming out there & hopefully only a rear bar going in for the harnesses

i will drop a few pics on here but she does looks used & abused as im lazy with it & dont clean very often, she my ASBO bitch & she loves it ha ha ha!!

haha used and abused examples are still enthusiast toys - post away! 

I'd take a Kamei kit if one came up but I guess I will waiting indefinitely 😄

I did have it mapped at Stealth too with a Miltek Non Res - 220hp and 212 ibft torque which is consistently spread amongst the rev range. The VSR/Shriek on stock cams gives similar torque levels as 263s up to 3500rpm but then drops back off to more stock levels whereas the 263 cams hold the torque all the way up to 5500 (or similar) and also give an extra 30hp so are a very worth while and cost efficient mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_r3Mx1i2-E&feature=youtu.be

These are the centre console dials - the plastic bit is 3d printed by Ed and the dials are LHD ones but with the lhd plastic shaped bit cut away. 

Screenshot 2023-01-16 171657.png

i will get some pics done when i fit the new intercooler - i might even do a little video as though it is not one of those horrible crackle maps the Miltek doesnt half pop & bang on throttle lift off 😄

ahhh so it is your VR from which i had a little mapping envy lol 

to explain, i recall seeing your mods & final stealth map gains & was a little jealous id not been able to have the SS exhaust on mine prior to remap, mine made just shy of 210bhp & 209ft/lb & i still think about a new stealth map to see if i could get the 220bhp you got now it is on

good stats to know about the VSR & 263 comparison.  im at the point now where the only other thing i may possibly like would be a VSR but they are way too strong money for me - ive never really been that big a fan of the recaro front seats if im honest

nice to see yours on the rollers!

& thanks for the console info

Yeah you'll get the 220hp/ 210 ibft on Stealth rollers, you probably already have it with the Exhaust. A friend up in North Wales also had the cams and already had a SS exhuast + BMC and got the same numbers as me. 263s are such a good combo for road driven Corrado. I'm sure it makes the engine note a bit more aggressive and a little bit of burbles on the exhaust on overrun? I didn't ever have the SS exhaust with stock map. I love that you can drive around at normal speeds/throttle and the car is quite civilised but when you plant it barks like hell.

I do like Recaros but unlikely to stump up the 2k it would require to buy and would have to be a lot further on my other cars to justify. Stock leather is a nice place to be with the more luxurious door cards. Mine had cloth in original but I bought the leather. VSR is a nice mod and with your cams you'll get even stronger gains too.

We'll have to meet proper one day. I'm south of Cambridge but fancy a trip to caffine and machine or something when the weather improves.  

And pop and crackle is nice in ears - my brothers R53 had a SS exhuast too. I like Miltek - got one on the Corrado and also managed to find one for the mk3 as well... took a year of searching and had to buy it in sections but only cost £140 in total! 

not really been on here for while as i lost my job, other than popping on to sort spam & dodgy posts etc - not the best timing when the VR is having a full underside restoration but hey ho

not had the blackberry since nov but have seen several times & it is coming along great, i will upload some pics when i get chance

i have finished the modena refurb too, tires arrived last week & am hoping to drop them off & do some test fitting in the next week or so

i really can not wait to be able to drive it again but dirt is not going to be a friend of mine lol

oh no sorry to hear. Hope you've managed to find another job? 

Either way a I hope it becomes just a minor blip in your life and things get back on the straight and narrow soon. Appreciate it must have been dark times 😞

Sorry to hear about the job, I'm sure something better will be round the corner. Maybe share the industry you're in and if there's someone on the forum in the same perhaps they could help?

thanks matt & hasan - kind words & as always shows the kind of mentality many of those who still remain here 🙂

TBH life is good with the exception of the job situation but i did start a part time courier job on monday, it is going pretty ok so far

regarding the industy, i had my own business with a contract at a local vape shop.  i am planning on going solo with my line of vape flavours though & they all used to sell well in store so fingers crossed i can get that going

anyway back to the fun stuff - much has happened on the modena's & the many hours of work ive put in on them has paid off, here is a treat of some pics of the process (everything except the paint was done by myself)

20210413_135222.jpg

20230217_151814 (1).jpg

20210609_131316.jpg

20230222_220426 (1).jpg

IMG-20230217-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230217-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230217-WA0003.jpg

20230304_142009.jpg

20230226_211324 (1).jpg

20230226_211350 (1).jpg

20230226_215549 (1).jpg

20230217_171542.jpg

i wanted to keep the colours in line with those which you could buy a corrado in so went for 1994 vw candy white & 1994 brilliant black metallic

bolts from SSR hardware in neo chrome anodised

finished with GTech wheel armour & also their dealer only crystal coat which a friend who details at porsche got me

i will mail myself the underside pics ive got & get those up here soon

The wheels have turned out epic! Wow.

Good luck with future endeavours. I've always fancied giving couring a go one day. My step dad retired from the police at 50 and does a day a week for a fruit and veg place. Can be tough but being out and about, preferably not during rush hour, seems a nice place to get some exercise and some freedom. Be careful with the speed limits is the only take away I have.

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using Tapatalk

👌 Those wheels look fantastic,  amazing work. I rate the g-technic products in keeping them easier to clean. Perhaps just have them In Your bedroom to look at . Great wheel porn 

😄

On 7/5/2023 at 7:55 PM, _Matt_ said:

The wheels have turned out epic! Wow.

Good luck with future endeavours. I've always fancied giving couring a go one day. My step dad retired from the police at 50 and does a day a week for a fruit and veg place. Can be tough but being out and about, preferably not during rush hour, seems a nice place to get some exercise and some freedom. Be careful with the speed limits is the only take away I have.

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using Tapatalk

thanks matt

many many hours of polishing but well worth it & they are the only wheel i have ever wanted for the VR, i could just never find a set in 16's & on the extremely rare occasion some popped up i couldnt afford them

to say im excited to see them on is an understatement but ive got to work out spacers & running height yet......i hope to hell they dont rub too bad

the delivery work is all in the local area where i am from & you do small postcodes each day, 105 parcels took its toll on me today lol

11 hours ago, Cressa said:

👌 Those wheels look fantastic,  amazing work. I rate the g-technic products in keeping them easier to clean. Perhaps just have them In Your bedroom to look at . Great wheel porn 

😄

thanks cressa, appreciate your kind words - im really pleased with how they turned out & yes they are almost too good to see the elements but then the same could be said of the VR underside lately! 

you could eat your dinner off the colour coded raptor under body seal & its all shiny new bolts & parts everywhere you look 😄

i will do my best to get some pics up of the underside restoration this week