g0ldf1ng3r

g0ldf1ng3r's VR6

Top stuff! - big relief on the over-pressuring ;)

hopefully yes - i am edging on the air of caution until i have it back & done a few miles

plus i need to take out a fair bit of the dash anyway as whoever put it back in at Stealth did not account for wanting to remove the stereo, as the wires have be routed so tight i cant even get my hand in behind the head unit to unplug the RCA leads

remembered the MOT was due on the VR this week - hopefully i can actually get her back next week with a fresh ticket

at least i managed to keep her off the salty winter roads for the majority of the time this year lol

valver hit 180K on the way home last night - i really need to get the cam belt changed as i have no idea when it was done

has anyone done a 1.8 16v cam belt themselves? is it a tough job or pretty straight forward? am thinking of trying to find a step by step guide

well the VR is back

& damn id forgotten how quick it is! lol

Billet 4's not fully bedded in yet but initial feel is that they are going to be awesome :D

the is a ignition key width of clearance between the outer edge of caliper & inner edge of wheel face lol

idle playing up even after a couple of short runs so may treat her to a new one if it doesnt start to behave

cold with no matrix on the way to work this morning but my heated seat behaved thankfully

had a look at the VR on saturday

fitted the new ICV in about 15 odd minutes - thanks to those who gave advice on it, 2 bolts out & the rear ignition lead plastic swivels to just about give enough wriggle room

started her up & she fired first turn of the key with no issue - idle fixed :D

let her warm & then took her round the block, running was back to perfect & thankfully the rear brake that was making one hell of a noise last week was silent....phew

thus couldnt resist taking her for a run, she needed one for the battery but i also needed one as damn ive missed my VR! once up to temp a boot of the right foot gave me that huge dump of adrenaline whilst my ears reveled in the beautiful sounds. queue lots of giggling, shaky hands & oh the trouser tickling burbles it produces LOL

took it easy on the brakes as still not many miles put on the 4 pots but then gave them a few sharp tests on sunday - holy cow what a difference to standard calipers!! they bite very quickly & very hard indeed.

they will take a little getting used to as the retardation really can throw your body forwards as you apply more force on the pedal. the poor gf nearly hit her head on the windscreen at one point as she wasnt expecting it lol

it is very satisfying to finally have some stopping power that i can rely on as blimey it doesnt half get up to big figures quickly

time to get on to the to-do list soon methinks

mmmm you have to love the combination of a summers type day, windows down, sunroof open & the VR howling.....satisfaction guaranteed :D

oh, & im loving the big yellow calipers poking out from behind the black speedline against the blackberry body!!

looks like the 10mm spacers needed for the 4 pots has produced a slight rub on the outer tire wall & i can see a little rub on the arch liner

doesnt look too bad & cant be hitting the crusty wing edges as they are still there lol

think i will raise the KW's up 10mm at the front, not that i want to as it looks lovely at the current height but the new stopping power is well worth it if i do

the valver sailed through her MOT with no advisories last friday too - just needed the new part worn's i put on the front & then a track rod end rubber on the passenger side - good girl!! :D

Haha!

Did you raise the front in the end? Mine has worn through the arch liners, but I just can't bring myself to raise it....

Haha!

Did you raise the front in the end? Mine has worn through the arch liners, but I just can't bring myself to raise it....

howdy Mic

worn through!! blimey, do your rub badly?

no ive not raised it yet - keep putting it off as i bet my KW's are caked in crap despite the clean a while ago &, probably as per yourself, i really like the way it looks now lol

the scuffing on the tires doesnt look too bad but it is making me use the new 4 pots with some heavy braking to avoid going over bigger bumps too quickly - which isnt a bad thing apart from for fuel as i get to hear the BMC & exhaust sing as i get her back up to speed :D

the HiSpec's keep growing on me too, i figured this morning that i need to hold on much more tightly when hitting the brake hard now lol

Where do they rub? 12 o'clock?

no they rub about 1&1/2 inches from the inner edge of the wing but the tire is not catching any of the metal edge of the wing

no they rub about 1&1/2 inches from the inner edge of the wing but the tire is not catching any of the metal edge of the wing

Cant picture it, photo?

I was wondering if you could pull the arch out a little levering off the tyre gently with a piece of timber? 5mm or so wouldn't be noticeable?

Cant picture it, photo?

I was wondering if you could pull the arch out a little levering off the tyre gently with a piece of timber? 5mm or so wouldn't be noticeable?

thanks Dox

it is a tough one to get a pic in which you can make the perspective out but this one may give an idea

as for leveraging the arches.....errr i dont think the lips would take it as they are a tad flakey lol

Could you remove the arch liner and heat it up to deform the plastic? Hot air paint stripper type gun?

Could you remove the arch liner and heat it up to deform the plastic? Hot air paint stripper type gun?

yes that is an option but not really one i want to take

TBH it is me being a bit lazy - the VR has KW coilovers so raising it up is no issue other than the hassle of cleaning the upper threads so the screw thing will wind ok

the front height just looks so nice with the wheels pushed out a tad

Or "Get yoself sum camber innit bro"?

ha ha ha

camber for VW's in my eyes is for rear wheels only & on vans or bugs

my bridgestone RE002's run lovley on the VR & i wouldnt want to get some nasty uneven wear

Lets see some side shots of your car, then we'll vote to "Raise the suspension" or "Mod the arch liner"

You could maybe add a bumpstop to the top of the damper to restrict movement?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/bushes-bump-stops/powerflex-universal-bump-stops

ha ha ok Dox i will take some & post them tomorrow

again, i like your suggestion but the V1's are already a bit stiff on our crap UK roads (put the VR on a proper smooth tarmac & they are awesome though) & the addition of a bump stop would reduce travel even further

i guess im being picky as i doubt a 10mm raise would really be that noticable lol

balls - i came to work in the valver today & totally forgot i was going to post VR height pics, grrr

Lets see some of the valver then

Dox i love your enthusiasm!!

the valver is still on its factory suzzy's so is kinda 4*4 lol

but i will pop out when stops raining & take a couple & post

Dox i love your enthusiasm!!

the valver is still on its factory suzzy's so is kinda 4*4 lol

Both of mine are, ones buried under loads of Audi spares in the garage, the other sitting outside wearing 3 speedlines and one solitude