Bullfinch

VR6 Storm Classic Green - back on the road

used to live in tilehurst before london ,still visit mates in reading,last time i was back i could not believe the changes in the place!,bet great hollands estate never changes though :lol:

Talking about timing chains.. I ve got mine booked in for monday at D G. I just want to get it over and done with and not having to worry about it. I know the chains should last its the tensioners and guides that are the weakest link in the chain.

MOT passed :clap: . Bring on the 2010 upgrades.

Items to do:

1 Full alloy wheel refurb

2 Timing chains, tensioners etc

3 KW V1's

4 Anything else I can justify :lol:

MOT passed :clap: . Bring on the 2010 upgrades.

Items to do:

1 Full alloy wheel refurb

2 Timing chains, tensioners etc

3 KW V1's

4 Anything else I can justify :lol:

OK - job no.1 is underway. Dropped the car off at the alloy wheel refurb place today. Should be ready for collection on Weds. If they turn out well I'll post some picks and a link to the company's website. I'm hoping everything goes OK after my bad luck in the grand national today. My horse refused to start. :scratch: King John's Castle needs to be turned into cat food right now :lol:

Right - job 1 was completed a couple weeks back and the alloys are now like new - very shiny and still look like OEM 8) . I'll get some pics up soon.

Saturday morning I drove up to DG (116 miles in 2 hours) - A404, M40, M42, A38, A448 I think. It was a lovely sunny drive, I had to dab on the brakes around the M42 as an unmarked R32 had pulled in a 7 series viewtopic.php?f=17&t=87499&hilit=R32+police+cars.

I arrived to find an impromptu Corrado meet going on - there were about 8 cars there I think. Anyway it was good to meet Swompy and Pete-Griff and get a lift in Pete's M5 to the railway station.

Car is now in for the full monty - timings chains, clutch, vibratech engine mounts plus a little bit of bling - shot blast clean of engine manifold. Hopefully it will all go to plan but with Corrado work nothing ever seems that easy. As I get some piccies I'll post them up, if I can work out what they show :lol: .

Here's some photos showing the chains, tensioners and clutch work being done at DG.stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC03987.jpg[/attachment:3u1qgsgp]Corrado92.pdfDSC03989.jpg[/attachment:3u1qgsgp]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC03991.jpg[/attachment:3u1qgsgp]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC04013.jpg[/attachment:3u1qgsgp][attachment=4]

I would try and supply some meaningful comments but for a non-mechanic like me that's hard :nuts: .

Dave said the top tensioner pad was saved just in time - I think that's the cracked bit in pic 4.

All being well I can pick the C up this Saturday at the DG open day - it will be like winning the raffle and going home with the star prize :clap: .

Snap . . . . that isn't the sound of the tensioner snapping!

I mean my Flash Red VR6 is with DG this week for the same treatment. Drove up Saturday morning (M25, M40, M42 - 137 miles 2 hours) and then enjoyed the Polo Courtesy Vehicle on the way back. They sent me similar pictures too . . . .

See you on Saturday - we can compare invoices! :eek:

I picked my car up exactly 1 year ago today. In that time I've done more miles than expected (4,000+) and probably spent more money than expected on maintenance and upgrades. Now which of those would I have predicted a year ago :lol: .

I went to Stoner today and parked up in the main field next to a nice looking LHD VR6 which was up for sale.

Stoner Park 2010.jpg[/attachment:13i5mg67]

must agree thetre.. the car is looking very well mate :D bet your glad the crappy mantainance is over now tho! :)

I invented a new game for rain drops to play having attempted to tart up my engine bay. The irony is I've hardly used any water - just a cloth, a brush and some fairy liquid water so far. My issue relates to the fact I've polished up some of the body coloured parts underneath the bonnet - these include the two side channels on the front wings. Hence the rain drops now glide quickly down these channels but when they get near to my battery they then jump down onto the cover, in turn this has become saturated and as my (unprotected) headlight looms were adjacent to the cover they in turn have had a lovely dowsing today - hence random headlights have been going on. A kind of Corrado mousetrap game for rain drops :lol: . I've used a separate thread to ask for advice on waterproofing the looms but I'd like to know how to stop the rain reaching the battery cover. At present I've blocked up the hole in the "Durdle Dor" foam/rubber piece situated in the channel near to the top mount to try and divert the rain drops higher up. In the picture the red line marks the direction of rain drops.

but I'd like to know how to stop the rain reaching the battery cover.

This has worked for me for the last 12 years. Never had a damp battery cover since.

Black foam draught excluder. Bit hard to find these days in black. Runs from the windscreen deflection plate down to almost the headlight. Being black it isn't noticeable.

This has worked for me for the last 12 years. Never had a damp battery cover since.

Black foam draught excluder. Bit hard to find these days in black. Runs from the windscreen deflection plate down to almost the headlight. Being black it isn't noticeable.

What a good idea. There are bunch of various foams in different profiles available from here:

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=1

And originally it dripped into the battery flooding the cells, main reason for the mod. But these days, with sealed batteries it more about protecting the poorly painted bodywork around the battery area.

+ 1 Great Idea !!! Battery area is always wet after raining. Will be doing this mod :)

What a good idea. There are bunch of various foams in different profiles available from here:

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=1

Too much choice! - which do you reckon would be best??

RW1 - I salute you :notworthy: . Such a great top tip. Unfortunately as you mention black is a rare colour so instead I got some dark brown rubber draft excluder from Homebase.

Here's my new modification - lets hope it works :clap: .

That will do just dandy mate. Love the way you've even copied the kink at the headlight end. :lol:

Now where was that patent application .......

Got this mod done yesterday... Got some "Mr Cosy Draught/ Rain Excluder" :) from a local DIY store...costing £1.75p for 5 meter strip (only in brown :( though ) for the price it was really good stuff. Had loads left decided to do both sides of the engine bay instead of just the battery.

Last DIY job done today (foliage seal replaced). It will have a good clean in the morning before a 60 mile trip down to its wintering grounds in Sussex. A week today I'm off to Brisbane for 3 months so I will be Corrado-less until late Feb :( . Plenty of plans for 2011 (DG re-map, KW V1s, BMC) but things may change. For other folks 3 months has become 3 years!