Sign in to follow this  
radojunkie

power failing from powerful subs

right, i have two stage 3 rockford fosgate 12inch subs producing 500rms a piece and an 1050w mtx audio amp, my problem is that most times i drive anywhere longish distance, the power drains from my battery and i cant start the car when i want to leave. the battery is in good nick having a power check on her, and has been running fine since i have stopped listening to the system. Prob is i want to listen to the system :lol:

do i need a capacitator? if so how many farads for my system? or would a seperate battery be the better option?

cheers pete

Might be a good idea to uprate your alternator ..

1kw of amplification will pull about 100 amps, and the standard alternator isn't going to come close to that. You can get a 120 amp alternator as fitted to VR6s with aircon. Track one down. Profit.

A power cap will store energy to provide the amps in a spike of

power so really a split charge system is best with a power cap and

like above a better alternator

Yeah a power cap is just a power smoothing system, it won't actually provide any EXTRA power, it'll just prevent the instantaneous load on your car electrics from causing the car to stall.

(It baffles me why high powered ICE still runs on 12v, it would be so much more efficient to run a 48v system (um, four times as efficient in fact). 100 amps of current costs you a ton of heat and resistive losses to the amp from the battery.)

I ran 2kw of amp juice on a 1 farad power cap which is half the amount needed but worked fine. I am selling the power cap by the way as you know.

cool beans never even thought of a new alternator! thats now been put on the wishlist with a power cap! any particular brand/make you think is best?

I run 1.5k with just a halfords batt upfront. When booming and driving the amp never sees below 12.0v which is okish really. I think you should start off with a bigger and better batt up front, then think about alts. Tbh, you'd get away with just adding a batt in the boot with a split charger. :D