Sign in to follow this  
fla

oil temp fault - how to solve?

Since diagnosing the apparent high oil readings on my car as being the clocks, how do i go about getting this rectified? Is it a case of going to VW, or can anyone advise the wiring route to check actually in the clocks? Or in fact nay other alternative? I dont look at the oil temp now as it makes me paranoid....

so have you swapped in another set of clocks to prove that?

Do any of the other gauges behave oddly, if so, perhaps it's an earth or voltage regulator problem in the clocks.

The only time I've ever seen oil temp reading issues is with dodgy earths on the engine/head, even the senders are pretty reliable.

yep. I've changed the oil temp sender and remade the spade. Using other clocks the temps were totally different. In fct when Zak & Leon came over it was showing 108C, water at about 80C, but you could feel that the oil was nowhere near 100. Today i had the original clocks in and it was perfect - up to 98 max at all speeds, then i gave it some welly and it went up to 110 all of a sudden and stayed there for ages. So perhaps when it goes to redline it jams a signal in the panel. It never did that with teh other clocks no matter what i did.

The other option is to get the mileage adjusted on the 'correct' clocks and fit those. How would i do this? Through VAGCOM perhaps?

yep. I've changed the oil temp sender and remade the spade. Using other clocks the temps were totally different. In fct when Zak & Leon came over it was showing 108C, water at about 80C, but you could feel that the oil was nowhere near 100. Today i had the original clocks in and it was perfect - up to 98 max at all speeds, then i gave it some welly and it went up to 110 all of a sudden and stayed there for ages. So perhaps when it goes to redline it jams a signal in the panel. It never did that with teh other clocks no matter what i did.

The other option is to get the mileage adjusted on the 'correct' clocks and fit those. How would i do this? Through VAGCOM perhaps?

there are,or at least there use to be firms that can adjust the mileage for you.

certainly can't be done with vagcom.

Were the clocks that you were testing with from the same model of corrado?

Maybe there is some sublte difference between early and late clocks?!?