Sign in to follow this  
pumbaa

How to fit a Pipercross airbox in a valver

I've bought one of those pipercross foam air filters in a steel frame cage, I understand that it replaces the lower half of the standard airbox but what do I do now with the vaccum pipe and the other hose that once went into the standard airbox?

Any help is much appreciated.

Kunaal

never fitted one, but i suspect you have to ditch them both, the larger pipe is a warm air hose from the ehxaust manifold, the other is a vacuum line that opens a flap to let the warm air into the airbox

i'd be very interested to know wether you think this makes any difference performance wise

also, in that your ditching the warm air feed you'll obviously see a reduction in mpg, though to some degree you'll be pulling hot air from the engine bay instead

Bro i wouldnt bother, i had a stroeve induction kit (similar concept to the pipercross) and tbh it was useless. Drilled airbox cost me nothing and sounds immense in comparison... I noticed no difference in performance either if thats what you're after.

Right then, i wont be fitting it!!

Thanks for the response. Guess i'll try and flog it on fleebay

Cheers,

Kunaal

I used to have a pipercross cage job on my old valver, I was a fan of it. Takes literally 5 minutes to fit so you might as well put it on and take the C for a spin.

You'll never feel the difference but it should add a bit, anytime I fancy checking if I've fitted anything of any use I pop out and time a handful of 30-70 runs in third gear, good range across the revs and no parameters to really factor in like traction and speed of gear changes etc

...Sad I know :cuckoo:

Ok, so mixed reviews...... i might give it a go then and see if i like it.

Any idea on how much it will affect my mpg?

Thanks

Kunaal

Ok, so mixed reviews...... i might give it a go then and see if i like it.

Any idea on how much it will affect my mpg?

Thanks

Kunaal

I prefer a panel filter in a standard box with the snorkel pipe removed, but...

no harm in trying something that will probably have a fair bit less restriction to gettting the air in.

Oh, and just block the vac pipe off.

Warm air from the manifold to the air box on the standard box only really makes a difference in the winter, and then it's only the warm up of the engine, so you might lose a few mpg for the first mile or two.

hey dave, interested in the warm air feed/ mpg issue, is this only used on warm up then?

i don't have an engine to check at minute so can't recall, does the vacuum line run to the ecu or to some other valve?

& pumbaa - try it out i'm curious :grin:

cheers

Try it out dude, u might like it!! I ended up drillin the crap out of my airbox and removing the snorkel, sounds alot better imo.

nah mate i mean curious (ie sceptical) about the pipercross jobby and any better throttle response over a K&N

tbh i personally wouldn't drill an airbox again either - sounds nice granted :D

ive got a piper panel filter/airbox on mine, im not sure if it gains any power, but sounds better...... 8)

Right, i tried to fit it. Got it all in and started the car. Sounds alot nicer :D but its not really a very good replacement as it doesnt fit very well, so i removed it.

It fits under the metering head fine but it has a rectangular flat base, which the old airbox didnt have so it doesnt sit correctly in the old airbox's place.

One corner of the airbox is alot shallower than the rest to accomodate the rise of the wheel arch. This means the pipercross filter doeant sit in the old airbox's space very well and moves about (a little too close to the alternator for my liking). I tried to cable tie it to a fixed position but wasnt really happy with this solution so removed it.

If anyone has some kind of better fitting instructions it would be useful, otherwise this probably isnt the best mod. Sorry i cant report on any performance gains/losses.

Kunaal

My stroeve was similar, didnt really fit at all. It was too big and the metering head (had no cover on at the time) dented my f*ckin bonnet!! Drill your airbox and enjoy the noise dude. :D

*IF* you can find one, the metering head/ airbox can be replaced with one from a volvo 240t which is a yanky version, or (i'm told) the volvo 760 - these have an integral pipe which you can then stick a cone filter on.

i've drilled one 16v airbox in my time, but wouldn't personally do it again. basically that nice noise you get is resonance from the induction system as the inlet valves open, as part of the induction system that resonance helps 'cram' more air into the cyclinder, one function of the airbox is to help reflect that resonance back into the system - drilling your box or having a cone filter without a cover lets some of this resonance escape - my opinion from reading round this subject :dorky:

where the rectangle frame meets the inner arch , ive simple chopped abit away so it fits perfectly like the old box...i also put abit of fabric Velcro (the fussy side) on the corner to stop it rubbing through on the body...guess its down to preference really.