Sign in to follow this  
sixpotter

Cheapest KW V1's

ive had my v2's for 3 years driven all year round and they are still going strong. I wonder if i can order the softer springs separately,wouldnt mind trying them on my car over winter when i raise it.

Zak - yeah I'd be interested in some softer springs too but not sure they will do them for the V1's as they are non adjustable...

They do handle well but the ride is just a bit too hard for day to day use (on crap roads) compared to standard.

Coilovers are always going to be a compromise though.

Standard 9" length 2.5" ID springs guys, (rears I'll measure later) which you can buy from anywhere and they're fairly cheap. Branded names like Eibach obviously dearer, but nearly all springs use the same silicon steel at the end of the day. Just avoid REALLY cheap schitt.....

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/COILO ... index.html

325lb Front, 228lb rear works well for me. Nearly all german kits come with 400lb front, 275lb rear, which is too hard for UK roads IMO, but some folk like it hard!

let me know how you get on, very interested in this now!!

your on V3's arent you Kev?? would this make a difference??

The V3s have different damper valving and an additional adjustment (low speed bump) but otherwise fairly similar to the V2.

It used to be that the heavier VR6 got different damper valving to the lighter 4 cylinder cars (Bilstein and H&R used to do that) but they don't seem to bother anymore. I don't like non adjustable damper kits (i.e. KW V1) being supplied for both VR6 and 4 cyl cars. It'll be optimal for one, but not the other.

V2s and V3s are OK as you can tailor the damping to suit, but yeah, any spring will work on any damper, so long as the ID and height are the same. Obviously mega strong springs could over whelm fixed damping but you wouldn't want those for road use anyway!

Yeah Tweeks have good stocks of a lot of stuff, shame they're a bit pricey!

If you go for a cheaper brand like PI, they're still very good, but just don't have the 'Eibach' tax added! Don't forget to ring KW aswell as they might do you a set for good money also.

Bump, before I change my mind and keep it tractor height!

phone gwerks, im sure they'd better i if they know youre buying there and then!

Sod it credit card out £595 at Jabba on the back to 95 prices 3 days left.... anyone found cheaper for the innox ones?

i don't think they are the innox ones, i bought mine on the back to 95 prices and it cost me £630 i think from gwerks. i would seriously advise you to splash out though, i was in a position to sell my corrado as it didn't have the same appeal to me as the old one and now i absolutely love it!

Send a email. Robs working on some stuff at gwerks today and tomorrow. He will call you to arrange. We will also have stock at e38

Demon tweeks seem to have the largest range of springs, going rate for a set of 4 is around £140 including the vat. I'll be ordering mine around mid september.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductList.asp?cls=MSPORT&grp=MP119&pgrp=M009&tlgrp=MS002

Zak did you ever get the softer springs for your KWs? Would be interested in some for mine, the roads round here are just too shite for the standard spring rate!

Not yet, its on the things to do list but i'm pretty busy at the moment. It will happen when i switch to some winters, i'm still rolling around on my rs's :lol:

Spoke to KW UK today and they can supply 60nmm x 170mm springs for the front (rather than the usual 70nmm x 170mm springs) and 40nmm x 200mm springs for the rear (rather than the usual 50nmm x 200mm springs). [These are VR6 rates btw, afaik the 4 cylinder models come with the softer rates but this may have changed]. They also told me that to go softer I would need to change the spring length. Waiting on a price at the moment.

I was pretty confused with the conversion of spring rates as I was assuming the spring rates were in newtonmeters which seemed to make 70nm springs convert to around 620pounds/inch and I couldn't work out why springs would be measured in a torque measurement. I found the following on VW Vortex which was quite helpful so here it is for anyone else wondering about conversions:

"Units mean things and spring rates are NOT listed in newtonmeters (which is more correctly a torque, ie lb-ft) they are decribed by force needed to create a deflection. The force could be pounds or newtons. The deflection is listed as any normal measurment of length, i.e. millimeters, inches, etc.) and Spring Rates are listed as unit of force per unit of deflection, thus F/D or pounds/inch or N/mm.

thus the conversion of 1 N/mm is equal to 5.710pounds/inch

1N = 0.2248 pound (force)

1mm = 0.03937 inch

1N/mm = .2248pound/.03937inch = 5.710pounds/inch

A Spring rate of 70N/mm = 399.7pounds/inch

A Spring rate of 60N/mm = 342.6pounds/inch

A Spring rate of 50N/mm = 285.5pounds/inch"

At last - a guy who knows his dimensional analysis! :clap: [brings back "A" level maths/physics]

I propose we keep all future references to spring rates in N/mm, for consistency.

Presumably the 170mm dim is unloaded spring length?

Picking this thread back up as I want these this payday, they have probably shot up now due to end of sales and new vat but its the only month I'll be able to do it! GWerks will get a call Thursday as will a few other places.... I want Innox ones too. Will try some ebay sellers as well for best prices.

Has anyone ordered a set recently?