Sign in to follow this  
jimbo jones

VR6 into 2.0l 16v

What does it take apart from a good mechanic to fit fit a 2.9 VR into my 95 spec 2.0l 16v? what i mean is what else would i have to shell out on apart from the engine to make it go vrooomm?

have you seen the price of VRs recently? converting will cost you much more time and effort when you can just buy one "off the shelf" as it were..

basically consider having to swap anything mechanical or structural in the engine bay/transmission area with the exception of brake and maybe steering related stuff

Yip, its pointless converting a valver to a VR6 when VR6 Corrados are available so cheaply these days. If you want to keep the car but want more power, a 20VT is the way to go!

I want to keep the car i drive, i've had it a few years now and spent lots of time and cash on it, it's just that i have hit a wall with the power i want more but theres not much else i can do.

engine conversion is really the only way to go then... but the VR6 route is not the way to go in all honesty!! like said above 20VT is the best route, plus you can upgrade as you go to give yourself more and more power

I think that the best thing to say to yourself is 'dont build if you can buy'

I had exactly the same thoughts as you. I loved my 16v and still do. But trust me, take a real vr6 for a drive and you will be a changed man. Its such a more refined drive, not just more power.

If you are content on a dif engine then go the 20vt route, or if you wanna be a little different then 16vt or 16v/g60. But all take a lot of wedge and man hours.

agee with the above, defo no point doing a vr transplant, go the charged 16v route, but as someone a lot deeper than me said; "a 1.8t or 20vt is the heads choice.... a 16v turbo is the hearts" :D

also, i read it sooo much on here that i want to make the point that a lot of 16v owners have had vr's, and now have 16v's as weekend cars, having to make the transition from a 16v to a vr6 isn't some sort of one way right of passage for the worthy :p

or if you didn't want to go 20vt route and hankered after v6 characteristics, go for R32 running gear instead!

fsit lump after a chip and a few minor mods runs 300hp thats the future then if you want more turbos are easy interchargeable ect. :D

O.K say i did go ahead with the conversion what i really wanted to know was what else would i need to fit the VR in? Would my gearbox match up? and what about the clocks? I know i would need the wiring loom, ECU and alternator. Is there anyone on here who has done the same conversion who could shred some light on this....Please.

Oh yeah i would obviously need a new manifold but what about the rest of my exsaust? its a magnex with no cat.

O.K say i did go ahead with the conversion what i really wanted to know was what else would i need to fit the VR in? Would my gearbox match up? and what about the clocks? I know i would need the wiring loom, ECU and alternator. Is there anyone on here who has done the same conversion who could shred some light on this....Please.

Oh yeah i would obviously need a new manifold but what about the rest of my exsaust? its a magnex with no cat.

Huge amounts - everything in the drivetrain is different due to the 5 stud plus suspension... Rear beam, bushes and brake compensator, front crossmember, hubs, engine mounts, driveshafts, complete ABS system etc etc - and then you have the hassle of insuring a car with an engine conversion too.

Don't build a car you can buy! - The VR6 is a great engine but if you are going to do a conversion you're better off using something much more modern.

This is based purely on a mk2vr6 coversion, vr6 swaps are fairly cheap, u can remain four stud if u want, but a brake upgrade is recomended. U will need the vr gearbox, and a corrado vr radiator, U can use your exaust but will need a vr6 manifold, you can also use ur fuel pump set up, wirings pretty much plug and play, get yaself a corrado subframe, u wil possibly need to ding ur chassis leg(u do on the mk2), on my mk2 I've got widetrack and 5stud, but I've seen friends crudely knock together the same engine swap changing very little and everything still works fine. Mk2vr6.com has plenty of info on the swap, corrados share the same front end as mk2s so I'm hoping it's just as easy as I'm planning on doin this same swap over the winter, as I've got everything I need sitting pretty, as for insurance u can sometimes get it cheaper because some insurers will consider it a kit car. Worth enquiring, vr swap is possibly the cheapest swap with the best gains for the money and ease, and the swap cam be do e over a weekend, abfs ain't much quicker than 9as. U considered bike carbs? Less work and can tidy up ur bay a treat.

I have a g60 brake set up with braided hoses, good discs and pads etc but i would want my abs to work so i assume i would have to change all that. If i did the conversion i would want to do it properly but i think it would just cost much.

There's abs connections on vr looms, on a mk2 u do one little wire jump to make ya clocks work, other than that u simply plug in engine plugs in place of ya current engine plugs, possibly even simpler on a corrado, if u have g60 brakes already ur aswel using them and nit bothering with 5stud, there's always a better choice of wheels in four stud. U can prolly pic up a engine box loom all ancillarys rad and subframe for about 400quid.

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html Helps with wiring.