Sign in to follow this  
charly_vrsexy

5 stud to 4 stud

Is this a bad idea?

would it work to put a pdc adaptor to change the stud pattern from a 5 stud on the vr6 to a four stud pattern to allow for some borbet A's to be fitted, or is the likelyhood being that they will stick out of the arches loads due to the et already?

but I have them in four stud as mint and that would mean selling them at a loss only to buy them again for even more notes.

could be the only option though.

just being tight really i spose.

Unless that is the general consensus, just get 5 studs??

ahhh, you already have the wheels 8) i didn't realise that.

seems an odd thing to convert from 5 to 4 studs.

the amount it will cost for adapters all round, it will be cheaper to sell yours and buy 5 stud i would imagine

Yeh I dnt really want to convert to 4 studs however it was just a case of having the wheels already sat there.always going to be better for the car if i keep to 5 studs,maybe get deeper dishes.hmmm.more money tho.

Question: "Why did VW put 5-bolt hubs onto the more powerful, VR6 and 16v versions of their cars?"

Answer; "The power/torque/weight/speed characteristics make it an engineering necessity". Not because it looks pretty.

I rest my case, m'lud.

Your insurance company might take a dim view of your modifying the hubs from 5 to 4 studs, especially when the wheels fall off just before you mow down a bus queue....

Best wishes

RB

just an FYI, the VR6's have widetrack, meaning that they will sit differently to the valvers/g60's. Im pretty sure you need to do a bit of pulling and rolling arches to get borbets on a VR6 and thats without adding adapters as well.

Come on guys this is dead easy! The VR6 is only 8mm wider each side than the others, so it won't make that much difference. They have wider wings anyway, don't they, so it shouldn't make any difference at all!

The 4-stud hubs fit in to the VR6 spindles with their corresponding outer CV joints on the VR6 driveshafts (or just use G60 driveshafts). Re-drill the brake disks to 4-stud (like someone has just done with 312mm disks) and you're done :) There are some OE disks that fit 4-stud hubs in 5-stud spindles, but I can't remember what they're from.

The guys in the US put VR6s in G60s all the time and leave the 4-stud suspension, and their wheels don't fall off. Neither do they fall off mk2 VR6s, or the big-power G60s, 16Vts or 1.8Ts on 4-stud.

I'll even swap you some 4-stud hubs for your 5s if you like :wink: