Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Check your fuel filter for corrosion!

I was doing an oil change on the VR yesterday, when I thought "I better fit that fuel filter I bought two years ago"

Anyway, the corrosion on the body of the filter was pretty awful, it had just started to rust through at the bottom where it's hidden by the plastic housing! It was damp where fuel had started to sweat through. The rust had also spread to the inlet pipe which made getting the pipe off really difficult without damaging it.

The service history says it was replaced five years ago, but it is a VAG Hengst filter so I'm wondering if it's the original 13 yr old one!

I cut it in half to see how dirty it was inside :shock: see pics below. Last time I cut a fuel filter in half it was spotless!

From the AA

The typical OEM recommendation today for fuel filter replacement is every 30,000 miles, but many professional technicians say yearly fuel filter changes can reduce the risk of dirty fuel-related problems

Mine is rusted up :(

Found it out when it went for a serviced at DG. Need to get it worted :D

Those MK3 style filters are meant to be 'lifetime' but really this means 60k miles max - any more and they can get blocked and cause the pump to whine so I'd say do every 40-50k max

The only ones I've seen rust like that are pattern parts - Thats an OEM make but maybe not genuine VW - big difference in the parts supplied to the patern markets!

Need to get it worted :D

no, that's the last thing you want :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: oooooops :brickwall:

my bad

omg, no one leaves a filter that long.....surely lol

mine is done at least once a year

I checked my service book and receipts, it says replace every 20,000 miles but it was never done at any of the eight VAG Service's it had - Strange for the stealers not to take the opportunity to extract some more cash from a corrado owner :o

Strange for the stealers not to take the opportunity to extract some more cash from a corrado owner :o

Hmmm, I would disagree with you there. More like perfectly normal for a dealer to charge you for what you expect to be a full service i.e. checking over everything that needs checking and looking to see when a longer life part was last changed and if need be doing so.

But in actual practise charge you an arm and a leg for driving the car into the workshop and changing the oil and filter and leaving you thinking everything has been 'serviced' as it should.

Strange for the stealers not to take the opportunity to extract some more cash from a corrado owner :o

Hmmm, I would disagree with you there. More like perfectly normal for a dealer to charge you for what you expect to be a full service i.e. checking over everything that needs checking and looking to see when a longer life part was last changed and if need be doing so.

But in actual practise charge you an arm and a leg for driving the car into the workshop and changing the oil and filter and leaving you thinking everything has been 'serviced' as it should.

Ditto Full VAG history on my car since new and two years ago I looked at the filter and i wouldnt be surprised if it had never ever been changed!

Ditto Full VAG history on my car since new and two years ago I looked at the filter and i wouldnt be surprised if it had never ever been changed!

Yep, been there done that, trusted someone else to look into what should be being done, but I woke up in 2005. It might sound anal but I went through all service paperwork listing what had been replace (i.e. charged for, so I was hoping it had actually been done!) recording date and mileage.

It made for very interesting reading.

I kept it up with all non Vag work I had done after. And even more anal I recorded what specific work was done on each drive corner of the car and it certainly proved that front nearside gets the most abuse over time.

I've done the same with my 'new' car, gone through all the paperwork that came with it and recorded what was done and when.

Ought to do it for the 8v too really!!!

its all part of the reason i wanted to be able to do this stuff myself, i know i have bad days at work and hate to think of someone having a bad day and working on my car

I kept it up with all non Vag work I had done after. And even more anal I recorded what specific work was done on each drive corner of the car and it certainly proved that front nearside gets the most abuse over time.!!!

First coner to the Pothole/Draincover generally and the one you lean on hardest when enterng/ on a roundabout... Generally 1st of the 4 tyres to wear out too!