Sign in to follow this  
vagingit.co.uk

removing fuel filler surround?

when it rains hard, or I wash my other halfs Corrado, water collects around the fuel filler neck, it doesnt drain away, so Im assuming the drain hole is blocked.

Is there anyway I can remove it to clear the drain hole?

I tried this yesterday. I really wanted to remove the whole surround as I wanted to check out if there was any rust. I backed out though thinking I would ask this same question today!

I did manage to unblock the drainage hole though just using some cotton buds and cotton buds with the end cut of.

Matt

Undo the cap and stick some rag down there, then remove the outer circlip round the edge of the rubber then it basically just pulls off although I think you need to remove a breather pipe too.

Not on the VR6 you don't. Just pull the circlip as you say and then pull the whole rubber moulding out. Don't be shy, just yank it all out :D

One thing to note, the electrical connector on the filler neck will almost certainly have corroded off. If not, it definitely will snap off when you pull the rubber moulding out and clear away all the years of dirt :lol: All it does is ground any static to minimise the chance of your nylon trousers causing a spark when refuelling, so don't panic :D

The rust, if present, will be up in the corner where the petrol flap locking mechanism comes through the bodywork, under the two 10mm self tappers that hold the petrol tank to the arch (below the filler neck), on the panel behind the rubber moulding, and generally all around there really.