Sign in to follow this  
thom5r

Does this mean head gasket failure?

I went to see a Corrado last week and it seems rather nice and well cared for.

However, after a big drive I was checking the engine bay and he was pointing out where the coolant was and just took the cap off ignoring my "watch out mate, might be hot". Anyway, the coolant seemed to boil up and spilled out of the reservoir before calming down again. I read a guide on ebay on how to spot head gasket failure and this was one of the signs. I figured most cars would do that and it's just caused by the pressure drop causing the water to boil.

What do you guys think?

Yup, normal...

HG fail can sometimes be spotted by white Mayo on the oil cap.. except mine showed no classic HG fail signs before going... just blew a hose off on the water pump at speed on the M11 :shock:

aye as above really. The water system is pressurised when hot, so taking the cap of the reservoir when its hot will release the pressure and spill over.

It's if there is still pressure in the system even when the engine is cold that you need to worry. But then that might just be a knackered cap. Sometimes tricky to diagnose a head gasket failure because most of the symptoms can have other causes.

Oh, and they have a guide on Ebay? Linky? :lol:

Gasket failure symptoms depend on where the gasket has gone, if it goes between two cylinders then it'll have no power, will barely pull itself up a hill (effectively only powered on two cylinders on a 4 cyl car)

If it goes between a water/coolant and oil galley then you'll get a loss of water and mayo in the oil cap and sump.

If it goes from a cylinder to a coolant galley then it can pressurise the coolant system (far more than the normal hot pressure in the coolant system)

It would most likely overheat really badly and boil over with the cap on as exhaust gasses enter the cooling system.

Mate, from what you've described it sounds fine. Get it bought! :D

Also just make sure I'm not getting ripped off: it's a 1992 VR6 with 105k miles on the clock for £2000. Generally good condition especially on the inside but bonnet could use a respray. Is this reasonable?

The reg is ********* -- reg removed at current owners request [MODS]

It seems lovely on the inside, has original first aid kit and warning triangle and rattles less than my 2002 Hyundai Coupe.

Thanks!

No worries, I probably won't be able to tell you a huge amount (most rados haven't seen a vw dealership for a while) but I'll be able to tell you if there's anything dodgey about it.

I used to work for Hyundai too! :lol: Coupes rattle like mad. Takes ages for the oil to circulate around the top end if they've sat for a while. I went through loads as company cars.

Hey! Stop badmouthing my Coupe :nono:

But yeah both inside and out were less rattly. Bring on the Corrado!

Right buddy, had a look to see what I could find. The car was originally sold by the dealer in Dunfermline on 02/11/1992. It's HPI clear so nothing to worry about there. One thing I would say is that on Dialog it was last serviced by VW on 14/04/2001 at 92,243 miles. If that's right it's only done about 13k in eight years....

I think that is correct as the guy said how it was owned by a bank manager for a while as a second car and just left in a garage.

I'll be buying it as soon as I sell my car! What good places are there to buy Corrado stuff like badges, wipers, etc?

2 very easy why to tell if the head gasket is pressuising thew water system.

One is hold a exhaust gas analysa over the open rad cap when running (for a small blow)

If head gasket is total gone between cylinder and water then if you remove the rad cap even when cold and run the engine the escaping comperssion will litterally throw the water out with the cap off.

Both ways the enigne will be using water if its gone.

I hope it doesn't because this is my car...a search for the reg shows me up here an not in the corrado spotting section...

It's for sale in the "for sale" section now if anyone wants to look at it!

where abouts are you in the country - will be well worth getting someone with some rado experience off here to come and have a look at it with you...

oh and if you're worried then do a compression test on it.

hopefully the owner won't mind and it won't take long. that should hopefully show up potential problems for the immediate future anyway...