Sign in to follow this  
Album56

Crossover G60 ?

From what I can makeout my 92 J reg G60 has late exterior with early interior although the steering wheel is the later one I think. Its pearlescent aqua blue & has the red supercharged badge on the back & G60 on the grill. There is a silver deliniating line along the higher crease of the body from front to back both sides that Ive not noticed on other rados.

Was this a special model or just one of the many subtle variations that came out over the years does anyone know?

Regards Mick

Sounds like someone stuck them on to me. I have a '92 G60 same spec as yours and mine doesn't have that, never seen it on any others, and i've seen a fair amount of late G60s on this forum.

No rados left the factory with any form of pinstriping as you described.

Thats very odd, I have owned the car since June 93 so if these were'nt factory fitted they must have been put on in the 1st year of its life which doesnt seem likely, they are quite subtle & look factory fitted.

I'll try to get some pics on here tomorrow..

No rados left the factory with any form of pinstriping as you described.

Thats very odd, I have owned the car since June 93 so if these were'nt factory fitted they must have been put on in the 1st year of its life which doesnt seem likely, they are quite subtle & look factory fitted.

I'll try to get some pics on here tomorrow..

It could have been used as a dealer demo model for a year, there are a few examples of some 'odd' 'rados around, there is a genuine Storm driving around that was owned by VW UK motorsport for a while. Nice going on the 20 years :)

Nice going on the 20 years

Hmmm, I think it's more like 16 unless I'm mistaken and it's now 2012!

Yep, as Yan says... not factory.

The only Corrado I have seen with pin stripes is the JH81 prototype.

I've seen 1 or 2 over the years, obviously fitted by the owners though, I can only imagine the person who had your car before you for a year added it?

It'd be nice to have some details of your ownership though, like how many miles you've done and what's been replaced etc etc, there aren't many people on here who've had their cars from such an early age!

Thanks guys, yes I fell for the corrado when I saw a leftie nugget yellow model parked in Bournemouth in 90 or 91 I think, dont even know what model it was as I knew nothing about them but the perfect coupe lines were like nothing I'd seen & it left an image burnt into my memory, at the time I didnt own a car, due to money problems I'd sold my Cavalier CD for peanuts & was struggling to pay debts so I didnt imagine that I would ever own one. Anyway in 93 having cleared the debt I unexpectedly came into some money & by then I had decided that the G60 was the one, a friend at work told me that a local VW dealer had 2 G60s for sale, got him to run me out there & yes there was a pair of beauties, both were immaculate 1 year old examples, one was low mileage pearlescent dark red colour for £13.5k & mine was high mileage 22k for £12.5k. After negotiation I got her for £12,250, the best 12grand I've ever spent by a long way.

The car is amazing, in 16yrs I've done 111,000 miles of pure motoring joy, it has been my daily & suffered years of short journeys without any apparent problem apart from batteries only lasting approx 4 years. I replaced the plugs the other day with some new Bosch W6DPOs & while I had the old ones out I couldnt help but peer in with a torch expecting to see a carbon encrusted piston crown in one of them but what I saw was a perfectly clean piston with a clearly visible number engraved in the crown, I have been using Optimax/V power for a few years , certainly seems to keep the motor clean. I 've had the usual door handle/radio aerial/sunroof problems which I've fixed over the years, & the back box replaced once on the exhaust, a couple of wheel bearings, water pump/thermostat replaced, alternator refurbed.

I am going to get over to G werks v/soon for a G lader refurb , Oh & I have replaced fuel lines under the bonnet & vacuum lines & the coolant flanges on the head. Its runs just as well now as it did 16yrs ago as I said an amazing car.

Regards Mick

About the pinstripe I have some pics but dont know how to download them to this forum, if anyone can explain in simple terms how to do it I'll put them on here.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMG_2854.JPG[/attachment:20ftnypk]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMG_2854.JPG[/attachment:20ftnypk]

As you can see the pinstripe is getting worn a bit, seems to be some sort of stick on but it follows the contours/line of the body perfectly as if at least made for the rado but I always assumed they were factory fitted because I couldnt imagine anyone putting them on a new car.

Regards Mick