Sign in to follow this  
gogsboy

Quality and price of garage work...

Ever since our mechanic got killed in an accident I've yet to find a garage who actually gets it right, there is always something!

Is there something that garages get wrong when doing rear pads/discs on VW's?

We always seems to get them back with a stuck caliper/s.

Just picked car up and brakes are rubbish, even with new pads on the front, rear caliper stuck/binding, I only drove 6 miles or so and the disc was on fire! Front discs seem to be quite hot too.

What should the labour time/ charge be for rear discs/pads and front pads? Wouldn't mind them taking longer to do it bloody right!

give it ago yourself :shrug:

I've got a stack of joinery related tools and don't have space to start collecting mechanics tools, given the fact I'm not really mechanically minded I'd rather make sure brakes are done properly...saying that as it turns out I'm asking could I have done it worse....perhaps not but my wife uses the car a lot and my son as passenger so dont mind paying a qualifed person to carry out work.

However I don't expect to come out a good few pounds lighter but with a car worse than it went in!

bloody inconsiderate mechanic :ignore:

NOt sure how you mean that as he was not just a mechanic, he was a good friend!

That's beside the point, I just mentioned that as he was always spot on and knew his job well and was a perfectionist

bloody inconsiderate mechanic :ignore:

NOt sure how you mean that as he was not just a mechanic, he was a good friend!

That's beside the point, I just mentioned that as he was always spot on and knew his job well and was a perfectionist

sorry mate its the way your wrote it, sounded a bit strange like your car was more important than the mechanic which made me think you were joking........no offense meant.

good luck with the brakes.

Im not very mechanically minded, Ive done my brakes, I was worried upto a week after but its been a while now... :lol:

Im not very mechanically minded, Ive done my brakes, I was worried upto a week after but its been a while now... :lol:

I'd rather not risk my lack of knowledge after the other half and the wee man ;)

I would do two spanner haynes stuff as you normally don't need much in the way of tools, brakes is generally the next level up and requires the right bits and pieces, wind back tool being one of them I believe amongst other things

there easy with the right tools and powerfull hands

Establised garage should have both the above but still managed to send me out with a problem.

So not easy to the experts, what could they have done wrong, is there a knack in winding back the caliper or something, could they have damaged the piston part, like said was not sticking beforehand, just the discs were shabby and pads where getting low.

weird! must have been on the verge of seizing or something and when he wound them back they stuck.

I just did my rear brakes, they're awesome now. It's really quite easy to do theoretically, but in reality you have rusty rounded off carrier bolts to contend with. NOT fun, but a blow torch and bolt grips see's them out!

weird! must have been on the verge of seizing or something and when he wound them back they stuck.

I just did my rear brakes, they're awesome now. It's really quite easy to do theoretically, but in reality you have rusty rounded off carrier bolts to contend with. NOT fun, but a blow torch and bolt grips see's them out!

When they called to say car was ready, they mentioned one was difficult to do and I asked if it needed anything and they said no as they had cleaned everything up and was all free etc.

You would think a test run might have been the done thing?

What time would you expect to do such a job in?

Rounded off bolts etc...that would be another worry as I don't own blow torches and the like and doubt a circular saw would be much cope :D

With my blow torch and bolt grips it was 3 hours max. So i'd be expecting a garage to do it in 2-3. And a road test should always be done after they do anything to your brakes, and by the sounds of it your problem would be pretty noticeable.

I got my blowtorch in homebase for just over £20 btw.

With my blow torch and bolt grips it was 3 hours max. So i'd be expecting a garage to do it in 2-3. And a road test should always be done after they do anything to your brakes, and by the sounds of it your problem would be pretty noticeable.

I got my blowtorch in homebase for just over £20 btw.

They charged 2.5 hours but I know for a fact they never worked on the car for that long, its impossible plus you can tell from the log in/off times for the test, time it failed to time it passed.

Only way could be 2.5 hours would be including a labour charge for an MOT

It was very noticeable, I could feel the drag, as I picked the car up later they had left sharply after I drove away so just had to carry on to get home.

How far north are you, gogsboy?

I know of two garages here in West Lothian that I trust with the Corrado.

We're north and actually not long moved even further north so it's not so handy at all.

There is another guy I trust and his prices are spot on, just he is busy all time and location not so good with us moving.

He charges you what he works on the car not if a book says it should take x amount of hours but we rush it in half the time we will still charge you the book time

How far north are you, gogsboy?

I know of two garages here in West Lothian that I trust with the Corrado.

Who, out of interest? I do 99% of my own work except for MOTs obviously, but it would be nice to know some decent garages around here anyway.

2 blokes on one allen key works for us :D , and yeah we have got the right tool its like this screw device for the rears it winds in the calipers and pushes them at the same time.

no masshed hands :epicfail:

Raddoman