Sign in to follow this  
winchbietch

Vr6 injector upgrading - is it worth it?

Currently im running a standard abv rado with only a change of converting to obd2,

Engine was fully rebuilt about 6000 miles ago, all new and requiring oversize pistons.

Im shortly gonna be fitting 263 cams along with gruven power pulleys and New south performance gasket etc..

Question; :scratch:

Was going to get my standard injectors cleaned and tested coz god knows when they were last looked at but Is it worth just upgrading my injectors?

I will be going for a remap when done BUT -Will i see any benifits/ gains for going bigger injectors with my setup?

Or is it a needless expense and less fuel economy?

Thanks paul

At least give them a clean, I did mine over the weekend and instantly noticed an imporvement in preformance and the economy rose from my 28mpg to work to 31mpg...

I've also been told by a few people that they need to be cleaned out every 30k or so but not sure if that's entirely acurate!!

BTW Mine were on 164k and looked original and minging!

i think, tho i dont know, but surely if you upgrade your injectors the upgrades would be able to provide more fuel compared to standard [likes bigger chokes on carbs] - hence with the remap to take advantage of the bigger fuel flow....more power :luvlove:

im pretty sure injector upgrades are common with diesels as i put thoughts to it with my old golf GTTDi

apologies if im wrong but it makes sense with a sailor jerrys rum lol

You don't need to increase the size of the injectors unless you are going Forced induction.

would my thoughts be kinda right in principle tho toad?

just to ease my mind lol

Yes, technically you are correct.

But the standard injectors in the VR are well specced for the job.

Basically the injectors are rated by volume of fuel over a given timescale. Too small an injector and they can't provide enough fuel, and the engine will run lean, or the injector will be running at too high a duty cycle and wear out quickly.

Too large an injector and it will not have fine enough control for idle speeds when very little fuel is required.

Yep bigger injectors won't do sod all difference unless vastly more air is being forced through by means of a turbo or charger, in which case you need higher flowing injectors to allow for the extra fuel.