Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Are rear brake disc shields/back plates essential?

One of my rear disc shields is badly corroded, I broke it off when removing the brake disc.

What I didn't expect is that the shield is bolted on behind the stub axle by the main axle bolts! Those bolts are badly corroded/seized so I'd rather not have to touch them, I know they are there to keep stones and blasts of water off the discs and away from the bearing seal, but has anybody run their C without them for a period of time without them, any problems?

I doubt stones etc are your problem; bike discs are bare. Question is though - how hot do they get. Ever tried touching the Shield after a spin? Then again, if the rear pistons are siezed, you'll get no heat or problems, lol.

Im also surprised at how its held on. If you dont want to butcher the main bolts, then can you make a bracket somehow?

Got a pic of your badly rusted plate?

I wouldn't like to run them without for long, especially over the winter, the rear gets so much crud thrown up at it you're bound to get problems.

I've not had rear disc shields on mine for 5 years and I've had absolutely no problems at all :D

I did once get a stone trapped between my front offside caliper and disc though, which resulted in nothing more than an annoying noise for a few miles before it ground down and fell out. So the shields do server a purpose (more so at the front for CV boot failure protection) but it's a very unlikely significant damage will occur from binning them imo.

to be fair Kev, I think you probably service/change not too mention use your rear brake components more than the average owner, rear disks tend to sit on people's cars for years.

Are front and rears still available from the stealers?

I know the rears are.

One of my rear disc shields is badly corroded, I broke it off when removing the brake disc.

What I didn't expect is that the shield is bolted on behind the stub axle by the main axle bolts! Those bolts are badly corroded/seized so I'd rather not have to touch them, I know they are there to keep stones and blasts of water off the discs and away from the bearing seal, but has anybody run their C without them for a period of time without them, any problems?

just replace it, its a pretty straightforward job, especially if you have the disc off anyway. All the bolts / washers are all available from the stealers. Best have a torque wrench when tightening the stub axle bolts.

Cheers lads.

ECP don't sell the back plates anymore, but they tell me the dealers still list them as current, £14 + vat each.

are the front ones essential too? One of mine is looking like it's on its back legs. Are the front ones easy to fit or are they a ballache like the rear ones?

Do any others fit? Seen a few different shape ones described as corrado ones. I need for a VR6 if that makes any difference.

Anywhere good to get them cheap or are the stealers the best bet?

front ones are much more essential than rear ones (I didn't run rear ones on my Corrado G60s in the 6 years I had them on the road with no problems)... the front ones are partially a safety item in case the outer CV boot splits, as they stop CV joint grease from splattering the disks and making your brakes not work... They're also easy to fit on the front (from what I remember...)

Saying that, I don't have them fitted behind my 305mm Brembo setup 'cos they were smaller than the disks! :lol:

front ones are much more essential than rear ones (I didn't run rear ones on my Corrado G60s in the 6 years I had them on the road with no problems)... the front ones are partially a safety item in case the outer CV boot splits, as they stop CV joint grease from splattering the disks and making your brakes not work... They're also easy to fit on the front (from what I remember...)

Saying that, I don't have them fitted behind my 305mm Brembo setup 'cos they were smaller than the disks! :lol:

Henny, are u aware of DG's front disc shield for larger brakes?

are the front ones essential too? One of mine is looking like it's on its back legs. Are the front ones easy to fit or are they a ballache like the rear ones?

Do any others fit? Seen a few different shape ones described as corrado ones. I need for a VR6 if that makes any difference.

I've just changed all the front suspension and found that the splash shields were falling apart so removed them. You have to remove the disc to get to the screws, you might need grips to get the rusty hex-head screws out.

I bought a new pair from VW, about £8 each but when I got them home I found they don't fit - they only have two mounting holes instead of three and one of them doesn't line up. Guess they've replaced the corrado part with an item off a newer model, gonna take them back tomorrow and see what they say.

Henny, are u aware of DG's front disc shield for larger brakes?

Yup, but seeing as they weren't around when the car was last on the road, I couldn't fit them then, and it's not moved in over 3 years (under it's own power at least!) so there's not a lot of point fitting them at the moment... I'll probably get/make some when I get an engine and gearbox back in my 'rado though... 8)

I've just changed all the front suspension and found that the splash shields were falling apart so removed them. You have to remove the disc to get to the screws, you might need grips to get the rusty hex-head screws out.

I bought a new pair from VW, about £8 each but when I got them home I found they don't fit - they only have two mounting holes instead of three and one of them doesn't line up. Guess they've replaced the corrado part with an item off a newer model, gonna take them back tomorrow and see what they say.

Let us know what they say then please mate. If the discs and that have to come off I may aswell ride it out until I need new discs or wait until I upgrade or something. Keep the labour costs down as I'm giving up touching anything mechanical now! No space, tools or time or so my garage is gonna do alright out of me I suppose.

Let us know what they say then please mate. If the discs and that have to come off I may aswell ride it out until I need new discs or wait until I upgrade or something. Keep the labour costs down as I'm giving up touching anything mechanical now! No space, tools or time or so my garage is gonna do alright out of me I suppose.

VW had ordered me the wrong ones, non-VR6 ones. They had to find my chassis number to get the right part number, guess what the price went up too, about £14 each instead! should be picking them up tomorrow.

Yeah they look like my old ones, I'd buy those mate as i'll be looking at about £34/pair at the dealer with the VAT, hopefully collecting mine tomorrow!

I havent replaced mine tbh. But they arent that expensive, Ive not had any issues