Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Recomendations for an Estate Car?

Think its my age but starting to see the practical advantages of a decent estate car. :cuckoo:

Looking for something that will take a bootfull of campng gear, bikes, be reliable over long distances, economical to own and run but still be fun to drive. Is this too much to ask?

Had a quick look around at Skoda Octavia's, Passat Estates and Audi's, even the newer Mondeo :sleeping:

But would appreciate some real world advice from anyone thats got one or owned and run one? What engines should I avoid and any problems with them?

Cheers. :notworthy:

Passat Estate for me mate.

I've got a 52 plate 1.9TDi sport with a remap and it's about 180bhp and getting 50ish MPG on the motorway. Can't fault it. Snowboards, the dog, bikes and stuff (with the back seats down). Just eats stuff up.

I don't own one but heard that the Renault 1.9TDi is an engine to avoid. I believe it comes in various flavours, from about 2004 onwards.

I've got a 110bhp 1.9tdi Audi A4, great cars in just about every aspect other than space, they're not big enough for an estate car IMO, also the multi link suspension set up is a bit of a pain in the ass, but other than that they're brilliant cars. The passat's basically the same thing but with a bit more room (I think?) so that might be a better option.

i still have my skoda 1.8t 4x4 octavia available mate, the boot is the biggest in its class, and makes the a4 feel like a coupe in the rear.

simple re-map and it will be about 210bhp and 220lb

98 Passat 1.8T is what I have and the boot is massive. Mine has uprated suspension and a remap so it makes it better to drive. Just got 37mpg from it on long drive but round town its not that good. For economical motoring the diesel is the one to get however I hate tractors so didnt buy one.

I use it for the racing and pack all my crap in the back, its perfect. My brother has a similar aged A4 Avant I could only get 2/3rds in what I get in the Passat.

Yeah as KADVR6 says the rear leg room in an A4 is as small as a coupe! My A4 replaced an older Audi 80TDI avant and that was MUCH bigger, it was a great car and I wish i'd kept it tbh!

I love my Mercedes 200TE. You can pick up W124 Merc estates now from about £700. Old yes (mine is a H reg) but it's just such a good drive (handles well, wafts along at 80MPH no problem) and in terms of load space, it's incredible. I managed to put a big Sun Microsystems 4U server on a pallette in the boot without even needing to drop the seats - and then was able to fit the four IT people in the car to unload it and rack it when we got to the data centre!

As people always say, the last well built Mercedes Benz for some time - it's an absolute tank and parts are cheap, and the Mercedes Benz dealer network seems really good - even for old sheds like this! :)

Mine has the weedy 2.0 petrol engine which is not that quick and quite thirsty - the V6's are a better buy. It's probably too old for you if you're thinking about newer Passats, etc but it really is a great car so had to get in a bit of praise for it!

passat is a good load lugger but an A6 Avant so much better built and has loads of nice touches inside the cabin, and a huge amount of rear legroom, definitely worth the premium over a passat.

i have a 1998 merc 250td automatic, 150pony's/ 200+lb.ft but its a heavy car so can feel sluggish when trying to get somewhere quickly, the turbo also generates some smoke when it gets kicked down but that's normal, besides that has done me proud for last few years and like Jim i've found there's a healthy supply chain for cheap servicing and bits, boot takes anything, had four boards, 3 buckets, towells and wetsuits as well as 3 guys all fitted nicely on sunday :D

am actually intending to change soon, looking at a4's mostly, but the 2.0T A3 'sportback' has got me thinking :scratch:

its a 2001 model 1.8t 4x4, i have replaced the coil packs also fitted a brand new n75 valve, and fitted a new forge 007p

the car has 82k and only 2 previous owners with full service history, i cant remember how much tax/mot remaining so will come back to you tomorrow with that info, the tyre are virtually all brand new as are the pads all round.

i will take 2k for it, and not a penny less.

heres some pics mate

Cheers for the pics KADVR6.

Yep, info on tax/mot would be appreciated.

Is it the cloth interior, what toys has it got? E/W, climate or A/C, radio, CD, parking sensors, etc.

What mpg do you get?

Oh and an embarrassing question from the girlfriend, 'does it go pssshhht?' :ignore:

I love my Mercedes 200TE. You can pick up W124 Merc estates now from about £700. Old yes (mine is a H reg) but it's just such a good drive (handles well, wafts along at 80MPH no problem) and in terms of load space, it's incredible. I managed to put a big Sun Microsystems 4U server on a pallette in the boot without even needing to drop the seats - and then was able to fit the four IT people in the car to unload it and rack it when we got to the data centre!

As people always say, the last well built Mercedes Benz for some time - it's an absolute tank and parts are cheap, and the Mercedes Benz dealer network seems really good - even for old sheds like this! :)

Mine has the weedy 2.0 petrol engine which is not that quick and quite thirsty - the V6's are a better buy. It's probably too old for you if you're thinking about newer Passats, etc but it really is a great car so had to get in a bit of praise for it!

I love the W124 - my old man had a light green 230E saloon. An absolute tank - he sold it with 104K on the clock and it never broke down once. It ended up being shipped to the middle east somewhere cos it was a manual and as a result had a resale value of about £4.28 so was destined for use as a mini cab. I keep expecting to see it on the news with a guilted tissue box on the parcel shelf!

its got cloth interior, central locking, electric windows x4, electric mirrors, electric sunroof, climatronic, 6 cd changer, esp, plus other little bits.

its taxed till the end of the year, and MOT'd till april next year, but if it fails in april (which it wont) i will go halves on any parts required to pass the MOT, this does not include tyres for obvious reasons.

as for MPG, around town i can easilly get 25/28mpg, and on a run about 38mpg.

and sorry but it does not go pssshhht, but hey you can change to a dump valve if the missus wants :cuckoo:

karl

and sorry but it does not go pssshhht, but hey you can change to a dump valve if the missus wants :cuckoo:

No need to change the Forge DV- just change the air filter for a BMC, Carbonio etc and you'll get a nice sound (not too loud, but loud enough 8) ). Some people even fit the DV round the other way, which gives a metallic sound every time you lift off. Tried it for a day but got a little embarassed when every pedestrian I drove past turned around and stared! :oops:

With a decent map (Performance Torque or a DG Revo), it should make 210 BHP.