Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Disconnecting the MAF (Now a G62 Problem)?

Should disconnecting the mass meter whilst idling effect the running as you unplug it on a OBD2 as it does on a OBD1? Im trying to figure out whether it is at fault?

Cheers!

OBD2 should stall.

In VAG-COM's measuring blocks you'll see the live Air mass measurement in grams/second. Blip the throttle and the number should rise and fall etc. If it doesn't or there's some very weird readings, the maf is probably past it's best.

Right ok, I unplugged it earlier when I got to work and there was no change! I then fitted a spare I had and the car is running better, but Im not sure if that one isnt that great either?

The problem Im getting is rough running/idle and also the revs dropping abruptly when dipping the clutch to a point where the battery light flickers, then it picks up.

I may fork out for a new one tomorrow from GSF. I havnt had it on vagcom yet, Im trying to sort my laptop out, but Im sure Ill have it up and running soon.

Kev what sort of readings should I be seeing for the lambda?

Cheers for your help!

i would get it vag com.ed first b4 you start splashing money out on things you think may be wrong as it could well be something completly different

i vagcomed mine this morning as i thought it was running a little off and turns out the blue temp sender is buggered

i though it was the maf or a breather pipe !

Right ok, I unplugged it earlier when I got to work and there was no change! I then fitted a spare I had and the car is running better, but Im not sure if that one isnt that great either?

The problem Im getting is rough running/idle and also the revs dropping abruptly when dipping the clutch to a point where the battery light flickers, then it picks up.

I may fork out for a new one tomorrow from GSF. I havnt had it on vagcom yet, Im trying to sort my laptop out, but Im sure Ill have it up and running soon.

Kev what sort of readings should I be seeing for the lambda?

Cheers for your help!

Interesting. My OBD2 would stall out immediately if I plugged in a MAF it didn't like. Perhaps your ECU already bypassed it.

I can't remember the exact readings but something like 5g/s at idle rings a bell, and increases as you open the throttle. Should also be 1V on the MAF signal line at idle.

Be careful with GSF mafs, I've had a couple of DOA ones from them before. In fact I don't buy anything from GSF anymore if I can help it.

Right well I finally got vagcom hooked up and the maf seemed to be doing as you said, 4.5 to 5 then raising with the throttle.

It did have a G62 implausible signal, intermittent fault. I replaced the sensor with one from ECP, cleared the codes, and took it for a spin. On my return it had brought up the same code again! I know it could be a faulty connection. I checked the connector and it looked fine except one of the contacts was slightly discoloured. Should I replace the connectors or could it be a faulty new switch? :?