Sign in to follow this  
Jez

The Engine Mounts on my VR6...

...Are almost knackered, anyone know how much effort it is to change them? Also how much for decent ones?

Cheers!

VW ones aren't too pricey. Labour is about 3/4 hour at most for each mount, should be less.

How can you tell? One was completely knackered on mine, but the other two are fine.

It's just the front one I think. You can feel it juddering when changing gear and pulling away. Will need sorting, it's getting annoying now.

That's not necessarily the engine mount, most VRs have that (it's a "feature"). Stick the hand brake on, lift the bonnet, start the engine and gently apply some torque through the front wheels in 1st and reverse gears. If the engine moves much you need new mounts. You'll know if something's wrong...

Climb under the car, get a 13mm ratchet and undo the lower engine mount cup. Then get a 6mm (could 7mm actually) hex ratchet and remove the lower 'doughnut' portion of the front mount. Inspect it around the steel bush bit in the middle for signs of cracks and tearing. If it's looking decidedley sheddy, bin it and replace it ASAP because if the metal bush parts company with the surrounding rubber.....your engine goes North very quickly, taking the bonnet out with it.

The mount above that is just solid rubber but replace it if it's collapsing or softened noticabley.

Or, do you yourself a massive favour and bin the VW rubbish and fit a Vibratechnics instead.

K