g60jaime

g60jaime's G60... recommissioning for the road

Been a member on here for a few months and owned this Corrado for a little over 5 years....about time i put some photos up.

First few driveway shots are probably a year after i got it just after i washed, polished and waxed it.

The others were taken a few weeks ago during a trip to the Nurburgring up a forest track that accesses the Karussell; it is unfortunately not as clean and shiney, it is covered in authentic Nurburgring dirt and bugs (wouldn't be suprised to see pots of this dirt for sale in the merchandise shops to go with the all the stickers etc, haha!).

As you may see the car has subtly developed in my ownership, parts replaced when needed or when I saw fit.

Any comments are welcomed...

Edited by g60jaime

Thanks for the complimentry comments, although i can't take credit for the photography, that was my girlfriend's effort.

Overdue update, prompted by the agreed value requirements for my new insurance policy with Footman James.

Car at last update had recently had full G60 engine service, Stage 4 supercharger service, 68mm pulley and chip, KW V1 innox inline coilovers fitted by G-werks.

I fitted EBC Red brake pads and grooved discs, Lupo Gti Wiper arms and blades and some clear side repeaters.

Has since had:

Grey leather heated and electric Recaro front seats

Mk4 Golf rear brake conversion, inc Goodridge hose and new handbrake cables.

Momo Team 280mm steering wheel

BBS RS 070 15" wheels.

Have got PWR chargecooler setup, Mocal Oil cooler setup and boost return delete kit to come. Any advice on these is appreciated.

My basic aim is to get it to look, and run, like a top spec G60 should have when it left the showroom in 1992.

A few new photos:

Looks superb dude, really nice colour/wheel combo 8)

I'd be intersted to see your results with a chargecooler.

Cheers, you may remember I bought the boost return delete kit from you, i think? Not fitted it yet as not too sure if I'll like the effects.

As for the PWR chargecooler I have all the bits but want to fit this in conjunction with re-doing the the cooling system. All the coolant hoses are a bit crunchy from a previous owner presumably using rad-weld or something. Would like to get Samco coolant pipe kit finished in classic black they do now, I would get the boost pipes in the same finish. Its all time and money at the end of the day!

Cheers, you may remember I bought the boost return delete kit from you, i think? Not fitted it yet as not too sure if I'll like the effects.

As for the PWR chargecooler I have all the bits but want to fit this in conjunction with re-doing the the cooling system. All the coolant hoses are a bit crunchy from a previous owner presumably using rad-weld or something. Would like to get Samco coolant pipe kit finished in classic black they do now, I would get the boost pipes in the same finish. Its all time and money at the end of the day!

I remember now!

I know what your saying about time and money, I have these amazing plans in my head but a big hole in my wallet!

Went out to the car tonight to find the passenger side carpet sopping wet, front and back. Back more so than the front.

Ripped everything out on the passenger side to dry out and try and trace the problem. Can't seem to find anything wrong.

In the past have replaced the door seals (around the door to body aperture) to fix this problem, they are sound and no sign of water running in.

The blower motor and foliage seal were renewed a few months back and are bone dry. I run a mk2 Golf (modified) scuttle panel cover to protect this area further. The wing channels are clear (poured water over screen to test, water was coming out of the back edge underneath of the front wings), nothing seen inside the car either.

I have lost no coolant and can't trace water upto the heater matrix internally. Although water has pooled down the centre of the car, but I expect this is because it is the lowest part of the chassis, the rear in particular.

Does any one have any ideas??? It'll be my job for tomorrow now, rather than detailing the thing....

Went out to the car tonight to find the passenger side carpet sopping wet, front and back. Back more so than the front.

Ripped everything out on the passenger side to dry out and try and trace the problem. Can't seem to find anything wrong.

In the past have replaced the door seals (around the door to body aperture) to fix this problem, they are sound and no sign of water running in.

The blower motor and foliage seal were renewed a few months back and are bone dry. I run a mk2 Golf (modified) scuttle panel cover to protect this area further. The wing channels are clear (poured water over screen to test, water was coming out of the back edge underneath of the front wings), nothing seen inside the car either.

I have lost no coolant and can't trace water upto the heater matrix internally. Although water has pooled down the centre of the car, but I expect this is because it is the lowest part of the chassis, the rear in particular.

Does any one have any ideas??? It'll be my job for tomorrow now, rather than detailing the thing....

Thats an annoyance. Check the moisture membrane behind the door card - if it is not sealing, even slightly, when it rains water will; definietly get in through there. I've removed the original membranes and replaced with some heavy gauge clear sheet over the open areas rather than one big piece over the door card. You'll still have the black mastic-type seal on the door - give it a wipe with some white spirit and it'll become tacky again making it useable to stick the membrane on again. Its not hard or particularly time consuming, just need to find a space between the showers!

sounds like you've checked the usual suspects. Could it be sunroof drain channels blocked?

Id sit in the car with someone running a hose.

Nice wheels .. what size tires and wheels do you have ?

Ta! They are 15" BBS RS 070's, 7" wide, et15 all round, if I remember correctly. They have 15 45 195 Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres on them.

Fla & PROVR6:

I did some investigating (whilst washing the car) and am pretty confident I have found the culprit. It seems to be, (as do so many other wet passenger carpet problems), the hole in the scuttle for the blower motor. Suprised as I did the foliage seal only a few months ago.

The water seems to be coming not down the cabin air intake ducting as I suspected but instead it seems to be getting under the foilage seal, wetting the internal foamy gasket that butts up to the scuttle skin from the interior side then soaking the underlay insulation. Its all ripped out now to dry out fully. Have used some Geocell "The Works" to re-seat the foliage seal gasket.

Will test in 24hours or so time. Might leave the Jetex pollen filter off as that was saturated where water had been running off the scuttle.

So, car failed MOT today on one thing:

CO emissions = 8.14% (max 3.50)

Anyone offer up any suggestions? The car is booked in for diagnostics on Monday, they couldn't suggest anything without it. Car is equipped with Cat as standard.

One thing I did notice on the report was that it had been tested as:

"Non-catalyst euipped vehicle (metered check)" rather than the previous years:

"Catalyst equipped vehicle with closed loop control".

Don't know what the outcome would be between the two. Ironic as was about to purchase and fit a stainless 2.5" decatted system to go with the 4-branch manifold I have in store. This itself would might carry problems come MOT time by not being fitted with a Cat, as I understand it a car registered from August 1992 onwards equipped with a Cat must be tested with one fitted. Mine was registered on 3rd August 1992, when I asked Darren at G-Werks he said it is a bit of a grey area as a classifying a car by registration date rather than production date is a bit unfair due to the time it may have been sitting on the forecourt etc???

Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm going to speak to the Tester tomorrow to see if they have tested it incorrectly or not? For now I'm going to use the search....

Well after being put aside for two and a half years SORN because of the MOT failure work to get her back on the road is just starting.

The whole cooling system is being renewed, including Samco Classic Black pipework, radiator and heater matrix, header tank, slimline fan.

Mocal Oil cooler being fitted and junking the water jacket.

PWR charger cooler being fitted in replacement of the standard intercooler.

A 4-branch manifold and new exhaust system is in preparation, with solid front engine mount.

Audi S2 G60 twin pot brakes for the fronts, with Goodridge braided brakelines everywhere else.

Plans to renew all bushes with Polybushes.

There are plans for a Cam, probably a Newman item.

Over the winter she needs paint to fix small rust and lacquer problems. And the BBS will be split and built up with 16" inners and outers from some OZ Vega' I've had in storage since SORNing.

Best get busy, but no rush ultimately.

So the last few days have seen the head taken off, revealed blocked water veins in the block, manky head gasket, bore wear commensurate with 119,000 miles (but all even), numerous leaking gaskets to manifolds and rocker cover, 3 of the 8 hydraulic lifter seized.

Got a G60 specific Newman cam and new lifter set, taken for fitting to the head to Modus http://modusengineservices.co.uk in Langton Green/Tunbridge Wells. But first they'll be doing a full reconditioning of the head, plus include port matching of the inlet manifold.

Got a Hella OE radiator last weekend too...

Does anyone know what this mystery block of iron that weighs a ton is about was bolted to part of the front subframe to gain access to the exhaust manifold?

Needed?

It's a counterweight used to dampen out vibration on the subframe caused by the engine. In theory you shouldn't notice vibrations from the engine bay through the steering wheel. Or your arse!

Lovely looking car mate!

It's a counterweight used to dampen out vibration on the subframe caused by the engine. In theory you shouldn't notice vibrations from the engine bay through the steering wheel. Or your arse!

Lovely looking car mate!

Yeah you can see it was a designed piece for the car. Does it have a noticeable effect running it without? In other words, if I don't refit it will it be noticeable?

Thanks for your compliment, it'll be having some paintwork over winter to bring it up to scratch thanks to lacquer peel.