fla

covering steering wheel - leather or suede?

I recently bought an Isotta steering wheel which needs a serious refurb. Its the Evolutione (have a look on the Isotta site for this if you want). Now i'm thinking about either recovering it in nappa leather or suede (turning the leather over). PLUS, the bottom section i'm thinking of doing in cream leather. The cream is slightly darker than that of the seats. Opinions? Should it be all black nappa, nappa and cream leather, black suede and cream leather? Choices eh?? Dont want it to look chavvy or cheap though.

I recently bought an Isotta steering wheel which needs a serious refurb. Its the Evolutione (have a look on the Isotta site for this if you want). Now i'm thinking about either recovering it in nappa leather or suede (turning the leather over). PLUS, the bottom section i'm thinking of doing in cream leather. The cream is slightly darker than that of the seats. Opinions? Should it be all black nappa, nappa and cream leather, black suede and cream leather? Choices eh?? Dont want it to look chavvy or cheap though.

2 tone black and cream.... Nice 8)

suede is nice but using it will wear quickly unless you drive with gloves so i would say go for a retrim in a nice quality leather. if you're ever passing a bmw dealers check out the m sport steering wheels on the new bm's they have real nice chunky wheels with good quality leather.

interesting. i'm retrimming it myself, no major rush, and i've got some nice leather pieces i'm going to cut up and use. Just need some nylon thread, good needles and some leather adhesive.

interesting. i'm retrimming it myself, no major rush, and i've got some nice leather pieces i'm going to cut up and use. Just need some nylon thread, good needles and some leather adhesive.
I'm planning to do the same. Found a VR6 steering wheel in a boot sale for a tenner in not too bad a condition late last year. Did you every go ahead and do this? Or..... does any one have a template for the leather pieces so new leather/alcantara can be cut to the right shape?

Shameless thread hijack, anyone else thinking of doing this, I have a nice cheep one for sale ripe for refurbishment! :)

Shameless thread hijack, anyone else thinking of doing this, I have a nice cheep one for sale ripe for refurbishment! :)
Yes, i saw that Sean...... and i was just about to hit the buy it now button, until i saw the lack of leather at around '1 o'clock' on the wheel! That would take some repairing!! Probably best to get that one totally re-trimmed as i don't think a repair would last long.

Thanks by the way Sean for your input regarding my recent (109 relay) problem. Turns out were spot on about it being the ignition switch which i got swapped out on the 23rd December. Took the Rado down to Dorset on Christmas Eve and it went like a rocket...... and no probems since!! Cheers!

Not a problem buddy, glad it's sorted and you're trouble free (whispers that last bit quietly!) Lol.

Yeah the steering wheel needs completely retrimming tbh. Though if it was in good knick, I wouldn't be offering it for a tenner!

Not a problem buddy, glad it's sorted and you're trouble free (whispers that last bit quietly!) Lol.

Yeah the steering wheel needs completely retrimming tbh. Though if it was in good knick, I wouldn't be offering it for a tenner!

I'm just finishing off mine now. Have to say, i'm really pleased with it. Sadly, i don't have a 'before' picture, but i'll be posting up an 'after' picture very shortly.

If you can imagine this as a 'barn-find'...... covered in mildew and a few cracks here and there...... as to what it's like now, you'll understand why i'm really pleased with this.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82938[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82939[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82940[/ATTACH]

First off, i let the bugger dry out for a couple of weeks in the airing cupboard as it was still very damp when i got it, then i got some leather cleaner on to it to take off most of the mildew. Then another two weeks in the airing cupboard!

I got some of this stuff...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Filler-Paste-to-repair-Holes-burns-Stratches-Cracks-Colour-Neutral-/272077808689? and the seller does this in black.

Found a cheap hair-dryer at the charity shop to help with the drying process, and set about it on new years day. Filled the cracks with the paste and did this layer by layer to build up the repair, sanding down each layer with 1200 grade sand-paper, then repeating the process until it was all finished. Gave it a complete going over with the sand-paper one last time then attacked it with some Dylon Black Shoe Leather dye. I dried this out in a cool oven for half an hour or so, then left it overnight.

Picture 3 is the worst of the damage which was a little too deep for the paste to fill, so i did this with some fast-setting expoxy resin glue to start it off, rubbed that down, and then finished it off with the paste.

This morning, i went over it again with the Dylon and again popped it into a cool oven. The second coat of dye dried much quicker than the first then, believe this or not, i set about it with common or garden Kiwi Boot polish!! The results you can see above......

In reality, just a couple of hours work, spread over a day and half to allow for drying and what have you. So pleased with this, and it's going on the Rado just as soon as i can. I'll probably leave it a couple of weeks to totally settle down, then i can get shot of the 16v steering wheel i have on the VR6 and replace it a proper one.

Edited by VR-Sixy