Sign in to follow this  
black66

Standard Alarm

Am I right in thinking volkswagen alarms fitted to all Corrados would have been dealer fit? If so, how can I tell which model of alarm is on my 94 VR6?

Both key fobs have 1 concave rubber button, 1 convex rubber button, volkswagen written onto them, a switch on one side and a three pronged connector on the other side.

I understand it won't be thatcham 1 approved. So in everyones opinion should I keep standard alarm and add clifford virtual key to meet my insurances needs or should i junk standard alarm and get a full thatcham one.

If going for a thatcham 1 I want to keep the full closure(windows and sunroof) and remote start sounds appealing. Any one any recommendations? Brands and fitters?

Cheers

Dave

that will be the scorpion alarm,and i read somewhere that if it was fitted before a certain date then it is still classed as a cat1 alarm,just that its been delisted

ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT SYSTEMS

Those Issue 1 Criteria systems fitted as standard on vehicles whose production date will extend beyond October 1998 will

remain compliant until a significant facelift or model change triggers a regrouping of the vehicle. At the time of regrouping, a

security system tested to the Issue 2 Criteria will be required to achieve any points benefit under the New Vehicle Security

Assessment. Any vehicle undergoing a significant facelift or model change, such that regrouping is required, that is still fitted

with and Issue 1 Criteria security system, will be deemed non-compliant and score accordingly. This may well affect the

grouping of the vehicle.

AFTERMARKET SYSTEMS

Insurers should continue to support any premium discounts extended to customers, if the aftermarket system is designated

Issue 2 Criteria (the prefix TC2, TE2 and TU2 will appear in the Thatcham evaluation number) or was fitted to the vehicle prior

to October 1998, and appears under the listing of systems judged to comply. Discounts should not be offered for any systems

listed as Issue 1 Criteria tested which are fitted to vehicles after October 1998. This can be verified by consulting the list and

noting the Thatcham evaluation number prefix, i.e. TC1, TE1, TU1 and by checking the date on the Installation Certificate.

The OE Scorpion fob looks like the attached pic.

I've got the Thatcham certificate of conformity for my OE fit alarm, and all the instruction books etc. - I'll dig them out tonight if you want any info from them?

You can write to Scorpion if you know the approx. original fitting date/Alarm serial no. etc. and get them to re-issue the certificate to the present owner.

Stormseeker,

Thats exactly the same key fob. Any intructions and info you have would be brilliant. Do you have the address for scorpion? That'll save me some money if I can get a certificate.

Would i find the serial number on the module that sitsn behind/next to the glove box.

Thanks for all your help!

I would love a photocopy (or even a digipic) of the certificate. Mine also has the factory alarm/immob, but I have no documentation, nor even the original keyfobs.. :-(

I would love a photocopy (or even a digipic) of the certificate. Mine also has the factory alarm/immob, but I have no documentation, nor even the original keyfobs.. :-(

From memory - the certificate is issued individually for each alarm instalation - it details fitment date, who fitted it, what dealer it was at etc. etc.

I'll deffo dig mine (well, the previous owner's! as I haven't yet got my arse into gear and updated it yet ... :oops: ) out tonight and scan it...

Nice one mate, so at least I now know they *were* certified and can show my insurance someone else's certificate if they ask...! LOL :)

TBH so far I've not had too many problems. I told the insurance company that the car had a CAT1 alarm/immob from new, but I didn't have the certificate and they were fine with that.

I'm sure other insurance companies might be more anal about it...

(I'm just about to fire up photochop and stick my VIN and reg on that form so I can fax it to someone... ;) )

(I'm just about to fire up photochop and stick my VIN and reg on that form so I can fax it to someone... ;) )

:-) "All donations gratefully received"! :lol: ;-)

I told the insurance company that the car had a CAT1 alarm/immob from new, but I didn't have the certificate and they were fine with that.

)

I bet they sing a different tune, if your motor gets nicked and you try to claim!!

I'd get yourself summat else fitted to be safe. Even if its a transponder immobilser. That way you can use your factory fit to get in the car.

Gavin

I bet they sing a different tune, if your motor gets nicked and you try to claim!!

Fair point! When I had my little crash (!) last Sep. - which was my fault - the insurance company sent round a "claims investigator" to interview me. Initially I thought this might be beacuse the other party was claiming for personal injusry (whiplash) and they wanted to get a statement from me about what happened.

But after seeing the documentation this guy was filling in, it became clear that they were really looking for a way to get out of liability. This guy went over all the documents I have for the car with a fine-toothed comb! MoT, V5, Insurance, purchase receipts etc. He even asked me when/where I had the car MoT'd, and if I was with the car when it was done! The he went over if the car was modded - wheels/tyres, engine bodykits etc.

There were two big boxes on the front of his wad of forms that I got the feeling he was just dying to tick...

1. fraud suspected

2. insurance invalidated

SO it pays to be safe - due to the number of fraudulent claims and fiddles/conmen around nowadays they're looking for the tiniest excuse not to pay up....