Sign in to follow this  
taurus

Noise from rear brakes

I get a strange noise coming from the rear brakes on my '95 2.0 16v. It's not a squeaking or grinding noise but more like a metal on metal honking sound, sometimes quite loud!? It only ever does it in reverse and when the car has been driven for a while so the brakes have warmed up!

I have checked the brake pads and they are all nearly new and the handbrake is adjusted to 3/4 clicks. The only way i found to stop it is to spray WD40 on the discs (not the best idea)!

Are my discs warped, any ideas?

Cheers

Nick

why did you spray wd on the disks? this potentially contaminates the pads...bad idea!!!

try taking the pads out and filing down the leading edge, or if its doing it in reverse the trailing edge of the pad at an angle.

if your disks are worped or have runout badly ul feel brake rudder.

I get what is possibly the same thing now and again...

It sounds like a brake drum binding, a hollow type of noise...Only does it in reverse.

Everything back there is newish so unsure what's causing it.

Neil.

very odd i have this too and was on my list of things to investigate prob nothing that copper slip cant fix and as said some filing :D

Yeh that's it, sounds like a brake drum! When you say copper slip do you mean copper grease? Cool, i'll try filing the pads aswell then.

Nice 1 chaps

i think its just the runners where the little metal sliding plate goes thats where you want the copper grease and a little where the caliper touches the pad

should fix the problem :D

I had a 'groaning' noise from my rear brakes when reversing - and tracked it down to the handbrake mechanism on the offside brake not releasing - not exactly seized, but stiff enough to not release. A spray with WD40 and a few hand-brake on/offs fixed it.

Just a thought.

Nice 1 guys, filed down the edges of the pads, copper greased the back and sides of them and lubricated the handbrake pivots so if that doesn't sort it don't know what will!

Will let you know the results after a week or so of driving.

Nick

I'm also getting the same problem with mine, I certainly get some strange looks when parking. I'll try putting a leading edge on the pads at the weekend but if anyone finds a solution in the meantime could you post a thread.

Thanks

Matt

I too get this noise. I'm not too far off taking it to a garage as its really pissing me off and I look (and sound!) a tit whenever I'm in reverse.

Yeh sure was embarrasing! 1 (or all) of those things have definately reduced the problem, still get a slight noise though so maybe more filing, copper grease and wd40 next time i'v got the wheel off! Cheers guys.