Sign in to follow this  
ryan_16v

Drilled ? Grooved ?

I want to replace my front disks on my KR, standard size to go with EBC Ultimax brake pads i have already bought.

So the question is just Drilled Disks or Drilled & Grooved.???

Personaly I would just go std, or if that is not an option then drilled only

Matt

Ditto that. Unless you are planning on track use then its just not worth it. The pads will get munched much quicker.

all i found with drilled /slotted etc is the noise they make under braking,but smaller diameter discs do benifit from better cooling like slotted but larger dont need it unless as said above your a track monster!

When I upgraded my discs on my 16v I used EBC green stuff pads and I got a set of front disc from a company on ebay called CRM. They where grooved and looked awesome!!!

There is pics of them in my grey16 members gallery of my old car. Great upgrade with strong spotting power.

hi, i fitted a pair of brembo max discs (which are slightly grooved) on the front of my 16v with green stuff pads and the brakes are so much better than standard but still not as good as the 280mm converstion that i wish i had done. The brembo max discs are £30 each from GSF so much cheaper than the EBC and Black Diamond discs.

doyu know the differences aboutwhat each characteristic does and what benefits/drawbacks there are with drilled and/or groove discs or are you just asking because of the cosmetic attraction?

i'm feeling lazy right now so i'm not going to type some long winded essay out, but in a nutshell.

drilled discs - the drillings are there to dissipate the heat that builds up under braking. this is good and has no real drawbacks, however......... if you use your brakes properly hard and you haven't gone to quality dics, you may find he discs start to crack around the drill holes. the drilling weakens the factory cast and cases metal fatigue under the stresses of intense heat caused by repeated hard braking. that's why porsche discs etc are so expensive (depite the added "name-premium" tax) - they are cast with the holes already in them, so no incurred weakness, no metal fatigue - no cracks.

grooved discs - the grooves help to de-glaze the pads (glazing caused by heat again) and keep them braking uniformly. the grooves also help to dissipate heat too. groves are good and won't crack like drilling, however they wear down the pads faster than a standard flat disc (obviously).

grooved and drilled combines the benefits of both above.

if it was me and you're driving really hard i would always go for just grooved and put up with the increased pad wear as a side effect of better braking when you want it. it's personal choice though at the ed of h day.

best advice is don't skimp on your brakes - they could save your life!!!

IMO the money would be better spent towards a 288 upgrade.

Whilst on the subject though, disc 'cooling' is achieved by the ventilation holes in the middle of the 2 disc layers. If you were to seperate the disc into 2 halves, you would see some pretty clever vanes in there that flick the hot air out like centrifugal pump.

Holes and grooves are mainly for removing 'outgassing' which is a layer of gas that builds up between the disc and pad under extreme temperatures, but a secondary benefit is deglazing as you say Pete. Outgassing is no longer a problem with modern pads, especially road car ones. Some race pads still use older materials that can cause gassing, which is why you still see race cars with holed and / or grooved discs.

Grooves flick the gasses out centrifugally and holes just allow the gasses to pass through the disc into the ventilation chambers.

Noise comes from the pad, not the disc and is dependant on how soft / hard the material is.

I recently put green stiff ebc pads and brembo max grooved discs and was dissapointed with the stopping power, maybe down to the fluid needing a change but they were only on par to the standard vag discs and mintex pads they replaced. Peronally I would save for a g6o upgrade, calipers and carriers with mintex pads and oe discs.