Sign in to follow this  
Kajkagen

VR6 engine in G60 - Direct swap possible ?

As the title says.

As some of you know my beloved VR6 interior burned down a couple of months ago :mad2: . I still have the car though, and was wondering if I could buy a Corrado G60, and swap the engine out with my VR6 engine/gearbox without troubles? (G60s are chaper than VR6s here in Denmark)

In other words. Are the VR6 and the G60 the same car, with just different stuff under the hood? - if not, please describe what problems I would encounter converting the G60 to VR6 :shrug: .

Kind regards

Dennis from Denmark.

I have tried to find threads regarding this question, but can't, so please link them if they are out there.

Hi Dennis,

If you can find a '92 G60 then I believe the shells are the same. I think of mine as a G60 with a VR6 body.

I'm sure all the mechanicals ie. suspension, brakes, ABS pump and pipework etc. are different, plus the interior of the G60 would be an early type, but the shells would be the same.

I don't know if any of the mounting points would differ between the two though.

The reason I'm not buying vr6 interior is, that my corrados exterior isn't perfect, and it would cost me the same amout to pay tax and registration fees for my (at the moment unregistered) vr6 here in Denmark, as it would cost to buy a registered G60 here.

I don't understand what you guys are saying... please make it more clear :help: .

When I have a Corrado VR6, am I able to convert a G60 to a VR6 just by swapping the bits and pieces, without having to modify the G60 chassis eg. by welding and other stuff?

Hi

It depends on what your definition is for bits and pieces.

The shell is the same on g60 & vr6 you wont need to modify this in any way.

the subframe which the engine sits on is different & amybe the engine and gearbox mounting too.

The hubs and driveshafts are different and other things like ECU wiring coil wiring etc.

I think the subframe is bolted on so no welding required.

If the fire burnt through any of the fuse box or other wiring then you will have to change this too.

Its probably cheaper to buy a 16v for this conversion or another vr6 would be easier.

hope this helps