Sign in to follow this  
radojunkie

alloy wheel manufacturing

does anyone know what grade of alloy is used for most alloy wheels?

if there is a standards agency in britain for producing a set?

and any sites which maybe helpful for producing one off custom alloy wheels, i.e. places to buy the alloy etc.

The best place i know to get compltely custom wheels machined for a one off is braid in spain, they are not cheap though and are horrendously bad at getting back to you. I've had better resuls calling them, if you do that, get a name and direct number and email address send a sketch or 3d model to them, ideally with diameter/width/offset/finish etc and the type of wheel i.e., 1,2 or 3 piece.

Most engineering companies will CNC machine centres to fit of the shelf rims. Know anyone who can use SolidWorks or ProE or the like? A little bit of finite element stress analysis and.... custom billet wheels.

that site is top notch, my mate has a cnc machine and some programs, any idea what material is used in alloys, aluminium, custom alloy, magnesium??? and what sort of prices they would be to make a 16" face?

I'd use an alloy of Alluninium, Magnesium and Silicon then heat treat after machining. Any aircraft or marine grade billet is good, hard yet workable.

As for price it is entirely up to you, 128 reflex curved spokes will be a lot, 5 plain spokes less so.

You'll need to specify the material before the design stage and stress analysis is essential, you can end up with light, fragile wheels or heavy, over-engineered ones if you don't know where all the weak points and points of high stress are.