Sign in to follow this  
MArrado

Big Disaster

Have sent the corrado into the garage today to get a noisey wheel bearing replaced, brake pads and oil change. all went well and the mechanic was just taking it for a spin when it came to a halt and wouldnt move. He says that they tried to rock it but it was stationary like it has seized! they;d had it running in the garage and t still has all the oil in and has not been noisey or smokey and he said that there was nothing unusual before it stopped. its a vr6 that has done less than 90 thou and they're going to look into it tomorrow for me after they've somehow got it back to the garage. Thought it was just worth mentioning here in case anyone else had come across anything like this before and i could point them in the right direction or at least a good place to start.....hope its not the engine. :gag:

sounds dodgy, does the engine run?

Hope you get it sorted without too much cost.

If it is the engine, I have one with 92K and FSH that ill be selling at a very resonable price, and im localish - Sorry for the shameless plug!

hard to guess what it is but id say prepare yourself for a nasty bill.

should have done the work yourself!!!! :lol:

not too sure but dont think it will start or even turn over, he said that his initial thought was that it had lost all electrical power. will find out more tomorrow and will be keeping my fingers crossed. only really needed the wheel bearing doing at the garage otherwise i would have done the rest but thought it would get it out of the way as its getting a bit nippy out these days!!!....it may not be related to the bits i had done i suppose. I'll wait and see what i hear tomorrow and let you know about the engine, but really hoping that i wont need it! :wink: thanks.

nah only joshin.

id hazard a guess at coil or alternator to be honest, but like i say impossible to be sure without a good nosey.

fingers crossed for you

cheers, just gutted as the money was going to general tidying and a wax oiling before winter really kicks in! anyway, its all part of the fun i suppose :?

nah only joshin.

id hazard a guess at coil or alternator to be honest, but like i say impossible to be sure without a good nosey.

fingers crossed for you

how does coil or alternator give symtoms like its seized up ?

Sort of my point, it doesnt. Id like to think most mechanics can tell you if your engine is seized or not pretty sharpish.

Hence im guessing at electrics. Sure we'll find out soon enough though.

Hi folks, Thanks for the suggestions so far. Have had the starter motor disengaged in case that had got stuck on and blown but its not that.

Went down and had a look with them yesterday - The gearbox seems to be changing gear okay (while stationaly and the clutch seems to be working alright....) but even in fifth the it wont turn the engine. When trying to start it it 'ticks' once like the battery is flat but presume this just because the starter cant turn the engine.

Am taking it round to the another garage where they will be doing the engine transplant so might find out more when they start to strip it but am obviously concerned about the same thing happening to the new engine. could it be a failed oil pump and just coincidental with the other oil change?

The guy said it was just as if it had run out of fuel and came to a stop and its resting point was on a side street not a stretch of open country road so will have been at pretty low rev's.....i think

im keeping a list of any other suggestions to pass onto the mechanics so thanks again.

...............we're not talking about that :)

Have been going there for years and they're good guys so the benefit of the doubt is with them.

...............we're not talking about that :)

Have been going there for years and they're good guys so the benefit of the doubt is with them.

benefit or not, everyone is human and everyone can forget, i wouldn't rule it out.

Can the engine be turned by hand, or large spanner? have you got the car to move with it in gear? could be that something has dropped in the inspection hole and jammed everything up.

hi

my vote is forgetting to put the oil in!! mistakes happen im afraid.... check the oil, if its really clean and doesnt look like its circulated a dirty engine then id be passsing the bill onto them whether you trust them or not... it happens.although you imagine the warning light would get noticed!! another possibility is forgetting to tighten the sump plug and its deposited the oil somewhere, or even the filter not tightened or the drain left off! either way check the oil!

hope im wrong though!

andy

hi

my vote is forgetting to put the oil in!! mistakes happen im afraid.... check the oil, if its really clean and doesnt look like its circulated a dirty engine then id be passsing the bill onto them whether you trust them or not... it happens.although you imagine the warning light would get noticed!! another possibility is forgetting to tighten the sump plug and its deposited the oil somewhere, or even the filter not tightened or the drain left off! either way check the oil!

hope im wrong though!

andy

Bare in mind it could also have been towed to its last resting place!

Well surely if the engine wont turn 'by hand' then its got to be seized and therefore points to no oil?

Yeah, It'd be a bit too coincidental in my mind ._.

Though I do hope it is actually nothing serious and/or it is cheap for you to repair :D

Best of luck.

brief update - never did get to the bottom of the 'mystery seizure'. have got a new engine in the car and even tho there are a few issues its getting me to work every day which is all i can ask. have got the old engine to take apart at my leisure so might find something out if its pretty obvious like a wheel bolt stuck in there :wink:

with all the other things that have needed doing i'll soon have a completely new car.......................

running lumpy when cold - it did this in the previous car when i had it and despite only swapping the engine and gearbox (and non of the air bits) it still does it. Am going to swap the coil pack in the next few weeks, maybe the leads - have already changed the blue sensor which made little/no difference and have swapped cold idle valve.....runs really badly with the lambda plugged in as well so just run it without (as soon as it passed its emissions) .... not too high on the list of problems tho as ive got a collapsed wishbone bush, wheel cambers that just look faaaaaar too aggressive despite just having them done and wheel bearing noises coming from god knows where.

still all worth it when the sun shines tho eh!

cheers for you interest any way...usually have to keep all these expensive issues a secret from the other half

Thats part of the air intake isnt it? and i used the induction kit and piping from the seized engine and that ran fine.....until it stopped for good. could do with checking it with another one ideally before forking out the 60 odd quid for a new one...just dont know anyone with a VR that is local. suppose i could try one and take it back if there is no change...will my local car parts place do this? supose i might get away with it with slight embelishment of the truth.

once it gets up to 80 degrees oil temp then its fine but up until then if i give it too much pedal under load then it misses, pops and judders - overfueling?

will keep changing bits to narrow the options.