James.

Scotts of Sloane Square Campaign

It's fantastic to see a Campaign getting this level of restoration. Really great news that one has landed in the hands of such an enthusiast. Nice one James :)

Thanks as always for the positive comments chaps. Not quite confident about booking a MOT just yet, as there's a very long way to go. But have set a "lightly pencilled" deadline for the end of the year. Would have liked to have it ready for 2012, but it wasn't so there's no point rushing it now.

I was looking to restore "a car" Jim. I had my heart set on a sherry VR6 with a cream recaro interior which I spotted for sale. Just so happened that this popped up at about the same time. Glad it did now.

Andy, I'll give you a shout when it's ready for you to collect.

Hope you're not in a rush.

Thanks as always for the positive comments chaps. Not quite confident about booking a MOT just yet, as there's a very long way to go. But have set a "lightly pencilled" deadline for the end of the year. Would have liked to have it ready for 2012, but it wasn't so there's no point rushing it now.

I was looking to restore "a car" Jim. I had my heart set on a sherry VR6 with a cream recaro interior which I spotted for sale. Just so happened that this popped up at about the same time. Glad it did now.

Andy, I'll give you a shout when it's ready for you to collect.

Hope you're not in a rush.

Cheers mate, don`t rush though. Want it perfect before i take ownership...lol

If only I could find another one

So where do you think they went Jeremy ? Apart from Jimbo popping up every blue moon it seems they've gone into hiding for good. Or is it possible they've been decomissioned on a more permenant basis ?

Is it fair to assume that they're owned by enthusiasts ? And if so, is it fair to assume that they read this forum ? I don't know.

I'd dearly love to see another. If for nothing else than to cross reference some parts from mine. But as I've seen the grand sum of ONE in my lifetime, then perhaps I'm being un-realistic ?

Looking like good steady progress mate, will be doing the same to my VR underneath very soon. Long overdue but funds have now come into play at last :)

Just a massive shame it wont be before Stanford Hall.

How much to get that little lot done then?

How much to get that little lot done then?

Thanks Kip. Thought your VR was pretty much perfect. Price was like the old darts score (he says making a voice like Russ Bray) £ 180 !

Last lot was cheaper, but there were more items this time (36). Half a dozen were blasted but not painted. Plus there's a new man in charge. Hopefully when I drop the knuckles and brakes he'll be a bit kinder in the price front. Not that I'm complaining with the price and quality ! All first class.

Fair do's on price then, yeah the VR has been longing for underneath doing so cant wait to get started. It's fairly tidy as been sprayed with plastikote paint since it was 3 years old so no major issues other than surface corrosion and a decent blast and paint.

Had a little dabble with electrolysis this week. What with everything getting a good shot blast and paint I was ready to tackle the steering/hub knuckles and brakes/carriers. Thing is that I wasn't happy to have them blasted. The main reason was the possible damage to bearing surfaces and internals.

So with that in mind, I found a how to guide on the internet and proceeded to have an experiment with one of the worst parts:

I left the carrier in for about three hours. Only doing one side so I can get a better idea of before and after. To be honest, the one cleaned up was in a worse state than the untouched one.

crusty carrier.jpg

uncrusty carrier.jpg

Finished articles after a dusting of primer/high temp paint:

P1060948.JPG

Edited by James.

thats brilliant, I've got some bits to clean from my rear beam and especially the rear hubs that i dont want to blast.

Have you got any pictures of your set up? Does it cause any damage to the battery charger and would a standard car battery charger work?

I agree Chris, the results simply blew me away. The rust just brushes off, and with a light washing is ready to be prepped for paint.

I didn't include images of the setup as mine is almost a carbon copy of the one in the link above. My only difference was that I used an old piece of steel tube, bent around the inside of the bucket in place of the rebar.

Battery charger wise, I just used my old charger that I've had for about 20 years. It's got two settings, normal and boost. I used normal.

Obviously I can't comment on long term tests but the results so far are great. Just need to rig up a bigger vessel as I've already out grown bucket number one.

Left carrier number two in today whilst we all basked in the welcoming, warm arms of our old friend Summer. Fingers crossed she'll grace us with her prescence on Sunday and I can dive headlong into another electrolysis bath.

Not literally mind !

i used this method for a while and it undoubtedly gets good results, unfortunately it fried my battery charger after a few weeks.

look up a water soluble salts called deox-c powder which gets equally good results, i'm told its actually just citirc acid but it works a treat, towards the bottom of this page for results - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?50724-my-wheels/page7&highlight=aide+wheels

I knew I'd heard about Deox-C before. And low and behold it was your thread Aide. I'd already posted on the next page!

I've got about half a dozen parts, but about twelve dozen bolts to do so I it looks like there's a purchase in the offing. Can't believe the results. The battery clamp looks almost new.

How did you get on with the body schutz ? Does it blend in well ? How did you get in with finish ? Did you use a gun ?

I actually just painted the shutz on with a brush, but being honest I wasn't bothered by the finish so it hasn't got the dimpled effect like OEM. Maybe if you took your time with it and built the layers up gradually it might be possible to get it to mimic the sprayed dimple effect, certainly seems like a good product though, it 'gloops up' as you apply it, then it goes rubbery for a few weeks and now (a year later) its completely solid.

Hi James, just to let you know that the rear steel bumper insert is still available from vw heritage, my parts guy at tps got one for me and delivered it today :) shiney new metal Whoop!

Edited by KIPVW

Thanks Paul. That's very kind of you to flag this up for me. If you could furnish me with a part number and price as well please, I'll add it to the parts list.

Whilst we're on the topic of random parts of metal. Could you help with this one please. It's a shield from the front of the fuel tank. You can see the shapes where the tank straps hug it. It's a steel part but alas doesn't appear to be on ETKA. I've looked for a stamped part number, but to no avail.

heat shield 2.jpg

It needs replacing as it's too far gone to be restored. Whilst I'll try the electrolysis treatment all the same, I don't hold much hope.

Edited by James.

Hi Mate, part number is, 00-535 807 517 cost was around £30 but not 100% sure as i haven't got the reciept yet and ordered with a losd of other stuff.

No idea on the heat shield i'm afraid as my pc has packed in so no etka :(

No idea on the heat shield i'm afraid as my pc has packed in so no etka :(

That's cool, thanks all the same. If there's anyone out there with a part number or even (very unlikely considering where it's located) an excellent condition one then please, as always get in touch by posting on this here action line or on the back of a postcard or sealed down envelope.

In the mean time, back in the garage today to carry on with the cleaning of arches.

Just have to mow the lawn first (so I can earn garage points) !

was going to say your grass needs cutting, the carriers look good though.

at my mums saturday so might pop round n say hello

What a day. Cut all the lawns and decided to cut back the brambles that have crept in from the field. Was taking what felt like forever. Decided to take a short cut and pour petrol over the area and burn them into submission. In my haste, I failed to notice that I was rather close to an area that "I thought" had gone out. Before you know it, there's a big explosion and I'm rolling around on the floor with my hair on fire.

I've lost my eyebrows, eye lashes, nasal hair, a clump of my fringe, blistered part of my face, neck, and lost the skin on my lips.

A shower, lashings of E45, tea, ibuprofen and three bottles of Bud and I'm feeling a great deal better. Only just stoped shaking though.

Jo came rushing out hearing the explosion, to see me rolling around on the floor.

I wouldn't have minded having a couple of hours on the car today. That's had the cosh put on it now.

Really annoyed with myself. Lost three hours garage time.

May be out on Saturday. Give me a bell first. I'll have that bumper plate off you though.

You finished the Mini yet ?

Edited by James.

Blimey! Glad you're OK. Probably worth going to the Dr for a check up though ;)

Bit of an extreme way to get rid of your nasal hair! :lol:

Hi James,

Its a good story!!

Its beaten only by a friend of mine. He was staying in a Hotel on a work related visit. One morning after a particularly large bowel movement, he found he had a blocked loo. He found several chemical cleaners in the bathroom and liberally applied them to the toilet bowl. There followed an explosion which destroyed the bowl and redecorated the room. Id like to say that my friend found himself coated in a smelly brown substance but alas that wasnt what happened. The story however still causes me to laugh out loud.

All I can say is that I am glad on this occasion you weren't instructing Oscar on the finer points of gardening.

All the best

Alan M

Edited by bmwcompact

Thanks for the encouraging words gents. It fills me with dread when I run through what happened, and how the outcome could have been different.

Fortunatly Oscar was indoors at the time Alan, though he did dash outside when he heard the "woof". Jo thought a wood pigeon had hit the window. And she was indoors fifty feet away !

Just really annoyed with myself. A sudden rush of blood to the head, for what ? Saving myself a couple of hours gardening duty.

Think I'll spend Wednesday in the safer arms of the garage, drinking tea and cleaning arches.

Though I may nip to the walk in centre with my burnt lips and slightly oozing face first.

Edited by James.