James.

Scotts of Sloane Square Campaign

Great work James, looks brill under there.

Have you got your heat shield clips on correctly? Daft things to spot but its a place I'm used to being at the moment!!

Great work James, looks brill under there.

Have you got your heat shield clips on correctly? Daft things to spot but its a place I'm used to being at the moment!!

Thanks Chris. I'm really happy with how it looks underneath. It's such a joy to be working with clean parts for a change.

I wondered how long it would be before the eagle eyed spotted the upside down shield clips though !

The mounting points have corroded through, so I put them on a couple of turns whilst I fabricate some bigger alu discs to sit between the clips and shields.

After much frustration I managed to install the front arb bushes and droplinks. What a swine they were.

Then we moved to the back end, and again after much jostling got the rear beam bolted in place.

Finished the day by bolting the steering rack in place. Rack brace and rubber mount are obsolete in the UK so I broke out the refurb A game.

After what feels like many a false start, I feel progress is finally being made. The fact I've nearly emptied my cache of VW bolts is proof of that.

...Pull up to the bumper baby !

Managed another full day in Campaign world today. Carrying on from yesterday. Jumping between jobs as there were a few things being painted/refurbed.

First up I gave the brakes a coat of silver as it was warm in the (dons a dreadfull Liam Gallagher accent) sunsheeinne. Had to keep bobbing back indoors as the silver paint was whipping up real good style. To the point where I was beginning to resemble one of those Silver painted men usually found on the costa brava.

Whilst back indoors I jumped on the rear bumper. it's a big piece of trim, and would give me a little "completion boost" if I could get it installed before the end of the day. Started off by keying the surface, ran over it with some pre paint and let it dry off. Hit it with primer, then once dry laid on the clear. I was tempted to keep the primer "as is". But decided (right or wrong, only time will tell) to give it an extra layer of protection.

r bumper unfinished.jpg

r bumper painted.jpg

P1070090.JPG

r bumper fitted.jpg

Exhaust surround ( Cheers Adam) was zip tied on till I can grab some bigger rivets next week. I may re-do this yet. We'll see.

P1070034.JPG

Finished by installing the powder coated frame and legs with their new bolts. I've moved the brackets up a little this time, as I prefer a small amount of clearance between rear apron and bumper.

Whilst all this spray malarky was going on I gave the subframe an internal buttering of cavity wax. I bought half a dozen cans of Wurth for small money a while back and today got the chance to use it. It's quite thin, but I've read good things about it so yet another item for the long term review panel.

P1070086.JPG

As if by design, my new tyres for the eight valve turned up today (Uniroyal rainsports). So whipped the fronts off in record time and dropped them off with the lads at the top of the village for swapsies tomorrow morning.

Lastly and most importantly, gave the garage a well over-due sweep out. Oscar even dropped in to lend a hand. Seeing the Campaign on the fridge (Forum calendar this month) last night, must have reminded him about what's hidden under the dozen or so bedsheets in the garage. I tend forget myself sometimes.

Edited by James.

If you need a hand refitting the subframe just ask ;) fiddly bugger that is.

James - great progress. I am seriously looking forward to it's debut - will it be Tatton or have you something more spectacular planned?

will it be Tatton or have you something more spectacular planned?

Hi Dave. If by "spectacular" you mean having a jaunt out with Oscar and his mum to somewhere like West Kirby or the trough of Bowland then yes. But if you mean cheap fizz and party poppers then you've got the wrong guy. I might risk a large Hendricks "when" it's finished, but it's like painting Blackpool tower. The day after it's finished, you start again.

Currently we're aiming towards Tatton. I'm going to try real hard to make it happen. But I have so many other things going on in my life...

Today would have been a peach of a day for us to enjoy her as well.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

If you need a hand refitting the subframe just ask ;) fiddly bugger that is.

That's very kind of you Paul. Wrestled it back in place eventually. The subframe was easy compared to the rear beam though. Getting the trolly jack under and supporting that beast was like balancing an egg on a knife edge. My arms still ache.

I've just finished reading this thread, took me two days mind you but what a great story including the burning bush scenario.....:salute:

I await the next installment with baited breath and a fire extinguisher.....

Inspirational James, I might finally get off my backside, roll the sleeves up and get on with mine!

....any tips? ;)

Inspirational James, I might finally get off my backside, roll the sleeves up and get on with mine!

....any tips? ;)

....any tips? ;)

Thank you for the kind words.

Depends on what and/or how much you want to take on. But yes, you could either - A: set yourself a deadline and stick to it. Or- B: be like me and have it on axle stands and ignore it for six months at a time. Personally I'd always suggest you take route A.

What would you like to know ? I certainly can't profess to know it all, but I know a bit.

Drop me a PM sometime.

I've lots of new pictures since my last post ( days at the beach, record collecting, etc etc ). Sadly none of them are Corrado related !

Your post ( and I thank you for it ) has reminded me that I have unfinished business.

So last week, I decided to peel the clammy bedsheets from the fuel cell. From whence it was set aloft the dear old girl. Drop some restored energy in to old parts, to peruse Vagcat for new trinkets. And see where it takes us.

DSC_0098.JPG

DSC_0101.JPG

I've been away from the old girl for far too long. And I miss her.

Viva le VR6.

Edited by James.

It's the unofficial law, to own one of these rare beasts & take a long time about restoring it to former glory your name must be James...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the unofficial law, to own one of these rare beasts & take a long time about restoring it to former glory your name must be James...

... or at least to have a name beginning with J ;)

Well keeping it tucked up and safe has served you well, I wouldn't be surprised if it's doubled in value since it last saw the road

I've lots of new pictures since my last post ( days at the beach, record collecting, etc etc ). Sadly none of them are Corrado related !

Your post ( and I thank you for it ) has reminded me that I have unfinished business.

So last week, I decided to peel the clammy bedsheets from the fuel cell. From whence it was set aloft the dear old girl. Drop some restored energy in to old parts, to peruse Vagcat for new trinkets. And see where it takes us.

I've been away from the old girl for far too long. And I miss her.

Viva le VR6.

... or at least to have a name beginning with J ;)

Sorry indeed Mr B!

How funny is that, looks like we were thinking alike Hasan.

About March time I told myself that after mid-may, work on the dusty VR6 will resume.

IMG_1296.JPG

Oscar finished his SATs a few weeks ago, so we've been working on the VR6 since. Early weekday and the odd Weekend morning for the past couple of weeks. Ordering up parts in a bid to make good.

IMG_1298.JPG

So we started by fitting the fuel tank and its associated straps/pipework. Ordered and fitted new front/rear bearings/hubs. Same again with track rods/ends/boots. Re-fitted the boot carpet/speaker pods from the installation of rear suspension years ago.

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

The car's become a shared passion for us. So I've ordered more bits whilst we're still excited.

IMG_1792.JPG

Edited by James.