pete_griff

Pete's M5 - Fresh Paint inbound...

Well, at least i'm back in a german motor now.

shame the evo had to go - kind of in the same way as the corrado i miss it for the fun factor (4 wheel drifts are awesome! :norty: ), however my new steed is very very nice and the more i drive it the more i like it.

recently done:

clutch and flywheel and associated gubbins (i seem to have a reputation for clutches!)

propshaft bearing, rear diff seal and associated propshaft running gear

short shift from e60 5-series

slave cylinder

discs/pads all round

air filters

fuel filter are pressure reg

plugs (lots of them!)

handbrake shoes and cables

engine, gearbox, diff oils

main rear crank seal

cleaned MAFs

cleaned airboxes

washer pump

replaced horrible wood interior with brushed ally trim (still waiting on replacement illuminated gearknob right now though...)

ALSO MASSIVE MASSIVE THANKS TO DAVE AND GRAHAM AT DG-AUTOTECH.

i took it there as i really couldn't be arsed with doing another clutch on the floor (the evo was enough fun!). really really pleased i did as the friendliness, skill and workmanship of Dave and Graham is second to none. plus they also generously allowed me to stay and help out/pass spanners etc.

CAN'T RECOMMEND DG AUTOTECH ENOUGH TO ANYONE CONSIDERING TAKING THEIR CAR TO A GARAGE

to do list:

replace rocker cover gaskets, replace aux belts, clean injectors, replace coolant, water pump and thermostat - all that will be getting done before too long.

middle term - remap, look at fitting brembos from my evo - it has plenty of clearance, so they should go on just with some custom carriers made up. can't believe it; the car has two piece discs as standard both front and rear, yet it has standard single piston sliding calipers - rubbish!

longer term - wheel refurb (they badly need it) and paintwork restoration/correction along with a very small amount of paintwork to remove stonechips and a very very small bit of rust.

only have a couple a pics, most (as usual!) aren't of the car looking shiny, but are of it in various bits.

tbh i'm going to wait until it's had it's paintwork and wheels sorted before i post up any decent exterior pics (i'm actually quite ashamed of the wheels!). still it drives very nicely (touches wood...) and that's the main thing :D

pics:

Hello mate. ~Sorry I didn't answer earlier, was in the middle of a pub quiz. Just off to bed, so I'll call you tomorrow.

Nice looking car. Looking forward to a snuffle round it at the RR day. :)

Hello mate. ~Sorry I didn't answer earlier, was in the middle of a pub quiz. Just off to bed, so I'll call you tomorrow.

Nice looking car. Looking forward to a snuffle round it at the RR day. :)

hey pal, no worries. it was nothing important anyway - just fancied a quick chinwag and to make sure you'd given me the right number. hope you won the pub quiz?!

glad you approve of the new motor, you should defo hav a go in it when you see me at stealth - and make sure you're not as SHY as when you drove the evo! (the traction control is designed for 2-year olds driving in the wet with lead weights attached to their feet!)

These things are awesome, had a pax lap with Sabine in the 'ring taxi when they used the V8 M5 in 2002 :cuckoo:

looks interesting what happened to the evo ? how did your new machienes compare to the corrado?

mort

hey pal, evo had to go (if you want reasons then PM me as i don't want to talk about that on an open forum...)

the evo was great fun, but i never thought it was that fast in a straight line (really due to the 'rado, which would have poo'd all over it!). however... in the bends and in the wet it would defy physics!

i will always have a soft spot in my heart for the rado, truth be known i would have liked to have persivered with it, but family/girlfriend etc had got sick of it by then so it had to go. i actually ofund out earlier tonight that the lad who bought my engine has the whole car up for sale somewherefor 5k - if i really had it and was financially comfortable (so not now basically!), i would buy that in an instant!!!

also i never got round to getting the rado properly setup suspension wise (had corner weighting etc lined up, but was always busy fixing things on it or too busy at work), i recon the rado would have been somewhere near the evo in the dry, but the difference would be night/day in the wet unquestionably.

as for the new motor....

when i first did a long trip in it i parked up at the other end and had an epiphiny! i literally stopped and looked around a bit in amazemet; i felt exactly the same as when i got into the car 2 hours previously. i know that sounds like a really old man thing to say, but i hadn't taken much longer, if at all than i would have done in the evo and i felt great at the other end. when i parked up from the same trip in the evo i would have a big sigh, slob around the car for a minute finding my phone/wallet etc then maybe think about moving!

the M5 is also much more rewarding in a straight line; it doesn't "feel" as quick as the evo as the evo was obviously all or nothing when the turbo came on-stream. the m5 just "wafts" you up to speed and it's only when you look at the speedo and hear the wind noise get louder that you realise you're being very naughty!

it is obviously a fair bit less fun than either the evo or the corrado, but it makes up for it in so many other ways. also when you turn off the traction control it will do donuts on a 5p piece! :grin:

lastly the main ethos with the M5 is that i don't have to work on it, don't have to modify it to get what i want out of it - i just get in and drive it, simple!

but for all you wondering, i still miss the corrado dearly and would heartily recommend the r32 transplant as long as you sort out all drivetrain/running gear etc beforehand :)

These things are awesome, had a pax lap with Sabine in the 'ring taxi when they used the V8 M5 in 2002 :cuckoo:

cheers pal, glad you approve. i really really want to get this thing to the ring and let sabine take me round in it (or anywhere else she want for that matter! :wink: )

i'm bloody jealous of you for getting that shotgun ride - bet it was amazing! :D

Hi Pete, a pleasure to work on..... well I would say that Graham and you did all the work whilst I ran off the the Classic Motor Show :lol:

You really must get some new pictures up of the interior with the ally trim...... I'm reaching for my pipe and slippers again :lol:

Shame I missed a ride out too.... sounds amazing even at idle :)

EDIT: DOH! Using Grahams login.......mmmmm fun time!

Nice, wood must go though. I always remember sitting in the pub with a mate that had the Gumball on TV when it all started. We starting discussing the best car to use and this is pretty much what we came up with at the time.

Hey Pete

Cannot knock the new car! Love them and fancy something like that myself but the girlfriend isnt so keen LOL

Shame you didnt get to experience a high power Evo, I know you would have LOVED 400bhp plus in yours, yet alone nearer 550bhp! :norty: :grin:

Any links to the car for sale with your old motor in it?

Look forward to seeing your new motor and your good self at the RR day :salute:

Matt

Nice one Pete! I love the way you buy a new car and then immediately tear it apart :salute:

The M5 pretty much has universal appeal on here, so I'm looking forward to more reports on how it drives and some technical bulletins :D

I'm not in the least bit jealous :censored: :D

I'm not seeing a lot of room for turbos in that engine bay, LOL!

Is there anything in the history about Nikasil or VANOS issues?

[lastly the main ethos with the M5 is that i don't have to work on it, don't have to modify it to get what i want out of it - i just get in and drive it, simple!

Except the brakes :D

sounds like a lot of fun Pete! cant blame you at all for not wanting to do any non-FWD cars clutch on the floor though!

looks like it will be even more of a weapon when you're done with all your plans :)

Awesome! Absolutely awesome. I adore these things and really want to own one in the next few years.

How are you finding parts prices, etc so far and how bad was it to insure?

Nice car mate just sold mine about 9 months ago,loved it, not a lot will beat it in a straight line ,i remember coming back from ten of the best a couple of years ago and a brand new m3 tried to pass for about 3miles and it was neck and neck every time he had a go i matched him for pace..could tell he was so p....d off eventually in his brand new £40000 car he gave in lol :D

"wafts" you up to speed
what in the same way a nuclear bomb just kind of gently fizzez into action? Modesty please Pete :roll:

What you meant to say was that it punches you straight up into the 'ok i might as well just overtake the whole line of cars then' point without really breaking a sweat.....and that 8 sounds sweet whils't your doing it. 8)

How long will you own this one for then buddy! :D

Hi Pete,

Looks a tidy bit of kit! :notworthy: You just cant help yourself, modifying already, talk about perfectionist :salute: Its a bloody good job you are handy with the spanners cos the service costs at the dealers for these things are astronomic, and if you ever need to replace that one piece exhaust you will have to take out a mortgage :shock:

I'm sure you will get years of fun from this if you keep it long enough :lol:

I second your comments on D&G, :notworthy: :notworthy: I know mine will be sorted this time, it is in good hands now :clap: :clap:

Did I miss a trick the other day Pete, have you got some 263s available??

If I ever was going to get a BMW this would be it.

The noise is all most orgasmic :ignore: :luvlove:

hey gents, thanks for the replies - glad the car is getting such a warm reception. i'm pleased with the way it's driving now it's had the suspect mechanics sorted. just gotta get those injectors cleaned and then a remap and it'll be somewhere near where i want it.

i really can't wait to get the paintwork sorted, but i recon that's going to have to wait until ater the winter (and when i've got some money again!)

Nice one Pete! I love the way you buy a new car and then immediately tear it apart :salute:

The M5 pretty much has universal appeal on here, so I'm looking forward to more reports on how it drives and some technical bulletins :D

I'm not in the least bit jealous :censored: :D

I'm not seeing a lot of room for turbos in that engine bay, LOL!

Is there anything in the history about Nikasil or VANOS issues?

[lastly the main ethos with the M5 is that i don't have to work on it, don't have to modify it to get what i want out of it - i just get in and drive it, simple!

Except the brakes :D

hey pal, i seem to end up doing this with all my cars whether i want to or not...

i bought the car knowing that the clutch needed doing, but i only found out about the brakes after driving it properly hard on the twisties fo the first time. they looked fine from the outside, but the insides of the rotors were buggered from where the sliders had seized. i'm really surprised bmw put sliders on it after going to all that trouble with the discs... (anyway, that should hopefully be all sorted after the ONLY mod the car is going to get in the form of the brembos...)

it's an all ally block, completely different to all the straight 6 lumps and afaik it doesn't have knicker-seal linings!

as for vanos, the only thing that seems to go on these (touches wood) is the little rubber o-rings that seal the oil ways and allow the vanos to retain oil pressure. they are a relatively cheap/easy fix if they go wrong. other than that, it tends to just be catastrophic mechanical failure which is obviously bad news for the rest of the engine anyway!

any chance you're going to make it to stealth this coming weekend - you'll have to take it for a spin if you do...

Hi Pete,

Looks a tidy bit of kit! :notworthy: You just cant help yourself, modifying already, talk about perfectionist :salute: Its a bloody good job you are handy with the spanners cos the service costs at the dealers for these things are astronomic, and if you ever need to replace that one piece exhaust you will have to take out a mortgage :shock:

I'm sure you will get years of fun from this if you keep it long enough :lol:

I second your comments on D&G, :notworthy: :notworthy: I know mine will be sorted this time, it is in good hands now :clap: :clap:

Did I miss a trick the other day Pete, have you got some 263s available??

hey pal, thanks for the comment - i HOPE i'll be keeping this one for some time to come now...

i know exactly what you mean about the exhaust - i'm glad for that reason alone that i took it to DG and didn't do it on the floor. the exhaust weighs about 19000000000 tons! and undoubtedly it will be monumentally expensive to replace! it seems to have lasted fairly well so far though, so hopefully it'll be going strong for a while yet...

your motor is defo in good hands at DG - wish i had the time to do something like that myself in all honesty; i love building engines, it's kind of theraputic i think!

i'm afraid i don't have any 263's to offer you - i was just thinking that it would compliment other things in your new lump rather nicely AND wouldn't loose you any points on the concours front...

it's an all ally block, completely different to all the straight 6 lumps and afaik it doesn't have knicker-seal linings!

as for vanos, the only thing that seems to go on these (touches wood) is the little rubber o-rings that seal the oil ways and allow the vanos to retain oil pressure. they are a relatively cheap/easy fix if they go wrong. other than that, it tends to just be catastrophic mechanical failure which is obviously bad news for the rest of the engine anyway!

Knicker-seal :lol:

Just did a spot of internet research and you're right, the M5 didn't get it. Possibly got "Alusil" instead but it certainly post dates the 328i's horrenous knicker-seal issues!! Good stuff then, I was always put off by the M5 because of that, but now it doesn't have it, all the better!

Sounds like the VANOS isn't as scary as people make either then, excellent!

any chance you're going to make it to stealth this coming weekend - you'll have to take it for a spin if you do...

Sadly not mate, I'm on call :( And I've just learned Stealth will be unveiling their Stage 1 VR6 Turbo kit aswell!!

your really gonna hate me mate, but how about a complete new twin rotrex set up for the BM, you could see about 650bhp with this kit :cuckoo:

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=99164

when i get home i will copy/paste all the details.

hey pal, cheers for that post. that is one lurrrrvly kit :luvlove: :luvlove: :luvlove:

i'm really not looking to modify the m5 though and plus i have zero spare cash at the mo due to recent clutch/brakes etc etc.

that's a really good steer andd the kit looks very nice, but thankfully i have no cash at the mo so i'll leave it.

and you're right - i do hate you for pointing that out to me! :lol:

cheers pal :thumb right:

And I've just learned Stealth will be unveiling their Stage 1 VR6 Turbo kit aswell!!

Cool and bugger in equal measure LOL Was hoping I would never be brought into contact with that much temptation :lol: