Sign in to follow this  
drunkmonkey

Airbox Mod

You can take out the snorkel in the air-box very easily but I found this just created too much of a boom, nice induction roar but it was way too load for my tastes.

To do this just take the air box out and pull the snorkel out,same process to put it back in.

Iv got that done to mine, also if you fancy butchering the box you can add another cut at the corner of the airbox nearest the charger.

G-Lader is correct when he sais its much louder, its not a neddy 1.4 corsa with stupid ass exhuast tho. It sounds really nice. And obviously provides more air

DM

You can take out the snorkel in the air-box very easily but I found this just created too much of a boom, nice induction roar but it was way too load for my tastes.

To do this just take the air box out and pull the snorkel out,same process to put it back in.

Ah the good old snorkel, didn't realise G60s that those aswell. It's real name is Helmholtz resonator and is a precise bore, length and shape to quieten induction pulses.

Removing it from my VR's box did the same....just too loud, almost ricey embarrasingly loud!

The standard box is better than people give it credit for imo....

K

Cheers guys!!

I was looking to get an induction kit as i do like the sound they make, but someone told me that the panel filter is a better option.

Do you lot have a pipe from the air box to the grill ??

Cheers guys!!

I was looking to get an induction kit as i do like the sound they make, but someone told me that the panel filter is a better option.

Do you lot have a pipe from the air box to the grill ??

Nope, I've taken out the carbon canister and put in a pipe to the lower part of the bumper where the brake cooling ducts should be. I get a lovely cold air feed directly into the bottom of the airbox, and it looks standard to the untrained eye! 8)

you could run a pipe to the grill, but it's a bit tight for space around there, and the carbon hole is in the perfect location :wink:

Henny, how does that alter the noise made,does it become boomy? Does it sound like there's an induction cone being used?

Like the idea of the extra air flow but not at the cost of too much more noise

Henny, how does that alter the noise made,does it become boomy? Does it sound like there's an induction cone being used?

Don't know about the G60 but if you do the CC removal trick and don't plug the front airbox hole, it makes an almighty racket.

Dunno how it sounds... my engine's still in my garage at the moment :roll: I've not run it without the carbon cannister yet, but I'm sure there's plenty of people here who'll tell you how it does sound with this mod. 8)

Thought I'd pop the pic up if that's OK with you as there was an slight issue with it :lol:

Looks good.....do you like the induction noise then? Good heat shield, definitely needed in the VR. Looks a lot like the Neuseed P-flow....

Kev

Haven't taken out the "snorkel" or resonance pipe from my airbox yet, but folks on the Germa Rado forum have already observed that it:

a) increases the sound no end :shock:

b) increases fuel consumption :( , and

c) reduces bottom torque slightly, some stated they noticed it quite badly.

Soooo, I'll have to try it myself, I guess, but I don't really feel like wanting to give up bottom end torque 8)

Tempest

Don't take the Helmholtz resonator off, you'll hate it and yes it does reduce bottom end urgency.

I've put a standard airbox back on my VR again and made me realise what I've been missing! Oh well, at least I got the induction nonsense out of my system!

K

"Helmholtz resonator" is that what the snorkel is really called? 8)

I've had mine (snorkel) removed a while now. Just fitted a cold air feed today. :lol: Goes from just inside the air box, through the hole for the carbon canister and ataches to my towing eye. Not the best place to take air in, slightly obscured by the bumper, but has to be better than not having one? Will do untill I cut a hole in my spliter. Havnt been for a spin yet so dont know how the cold air feed has affected it.

"Helmholtz resonator" is that what the snorkel is really called? 8)

Yep that's it's official name :lol:

It's job is the lengthen the inlet tract (better torque) and it's shape, dimension and bore are precisely calculated to reduce induction roar and induction pulse vibration, which you can feel in the car believe it or not.

More induction noise doesn't = more power, quite the opposite in many cases. The extra noise fools the brain into thinking the engine is more powerful.

G60s actually have two resonators, one in the bottom half of the box too :lol:

VR6s have a very short one in the bottom box and the same as the G60 in the lid.

If you junk the resonator in the top half of a VR box, you get a nasty vibration at high revs and it sounds like a TVR, allegedley, but to me it sounds bloody awful.

The standard setup gives a totally different engine note, sublimey smooth with a bassy undertone.....lovely!

Turn2's intake is different as it sports a mega long inlet tract and it's not as noisy as normal K&N 57is or chopped OE airboxes....

K

OK so will fitting a K&N also reduce the bottom-end touque in the same way as de-sonrkling the box ?

I've got a K&N and it feels a little bit lazy when I floor it.

Of course it can rev off the clock, but that's not the point.

I'd prefer more bottom-end power.

I've just refitted a standard, uncut airbox, with the helmholtz resonator on my g60 (previously I had a butchered standard box on there). Has made it much quieter. One thing though - there is virtually no gap between the rear of the headlight and the entrance to the box. I'll have to get some pics tomorrow, but surely there should be more than half an inch gap to cope with the amount of air these need to flow at high revs :shrug:

Holy thread resurection Batman!

It is a very tight gap between the back of the headlight and the airbox intake, you do get air flowing around the headlight but it is not the best piece of design.

Don't take the Helmholtz resonator off, you'll hate it and yes it does reduce bottom end urgency.

I've put a standard airbox back on my VR again and made me realise what I've been missing! Oh well, at least I got the induction nonsense out of my system!

K

I think that's pobably the mis-statement of the century. Induction nonsense worked its way out of your system yet Kev? :lol: