Sign in to follow this  
Frostee

Flywheel Question on G60

:!: Hi All,

I have my Corrado G60 J-Reg appart at present and I am replacing the Clutch due to previous owner neglection, and I have some question's

(1) Is it worth taking off the flywheel to get this lightened and balanced ?

(2) If so where can I get this done (I live in Basingstoke)?,

(3) What's the benefit of doing this ?

(4) And what sort of pricing am I looking at ?

(5) One other thing, what is the maximum power the standard G60 clutch can take?

Message to John 8/16VG60 cant remember which alias you were, if you still active on here can you give me your number as I would like to speak to you regarding getting my charger rebuilt and ported and chipped. You might remember me as you helped me out when I bought some lowering springs for me G60 and I gave some beers for doing so, A lot has been happening so I have not been around for while so please post your details to me hotmail account (mailto:[email protected]) if they have not changed then just let me know on here as I still have your old number.

Thanks again to all who reply to this thread.

Putting your flywheel on the Atkins diet helps in two areas:-

Better throttle response

Better engine braking

You can even get alloy ones if that takes your fancy.

Not sure about the max rated torque for a G60 clutch but I believe VR6 ones fit straight in and few people ever need any more than that.

Kev

ridgeway racing do an exchange basis lightened flywheel for 80 quid which is very reasonable I think!! cant remember their web address off hand but I'm sure someone here will point it out for you!

:!: Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input so far, I am wondering if anyone can confirm that the VR6 clutch fits straight onto the G60 Lightened flywheel if so i will go for the VR6 one if this is a better clutch. I found ridgeway and they quote a price of £80 for a new lightened flywheel replacement so I have left a voicemail for them to give me a call. If anyone can let me know if the VR6 will fit it would be much appreciated. Doe's anyone also know if the main crankcase oil seal behind the flywheel is common to go as i might replace this too as I am in there at the moment.

Again thanks to all who reply to this thread.

BR

Roger.

:-P Thanks Toby, I spoke to GSF and they also confirmed that the VR6 is a straight fit so I have asked them for one, luckily for me they supplied me the wrong one to begin with by accident :lol: so I had to get this changed anyway, you were also right it is a cheaper one than the G60 unit. I can't thank you lot enough, this forum is such a valuble resourse of information.

If I fitted a VR6 clutch to my G60, would I get less of a loss from BHP at flywheel to BHP at the wheels??

Depends if it slips or not! Takes a lot of grunt to make a new VR clutch slip noticably!

Kev

I heard the 16V flywheel is lighter than the G60's and would fit straight in giving better throttle response... does that sound right?

The VR clutch is supposed to hold 190 hp as std as opposed to 160. In theory it will have a higher clamping force to do that.

I wouldn't go pullig your own clutch before it starts slipping, even with only 216.

Gavin

:-P Thanks Toby, I spoke to GSF and they also confirmed that the VR6 is a straight fit so I have asked them for one, luckily for me they supplied me the wrong one to begin with by accident :lol: so I had to get this changed anyway, you were also right it is a cheaper one than the G60 unit. I can't thank you lot enough, this forum is such a valuble resourse of information.

Do they ever give you the right part ? I always have to go back and tell them they have given me the wrong bit! :x

Sometimes i think about just going in there and asking them to give me anything they like! and i'll come back an hour later after my car is in bits on my drive and get the right part! :D

They are almost useless!!!

I have found the best standard clutch is an LUK item it cost 73 quid and it with stood the punishment of 3 years of abuse from me ie countless high revving launches at santa pod. Now that I ve got it out it looks as if it needs changing so I am going to change it before I put the engine back together. I highly recomend the LUK clutch as being one of the best std clutches around!

The VR clutch is supposed to hold 190 hp as std as opposed to 160. In theory it will have a higher clamping force to do that.

I wouldn't go pullig your own clutch before it starts slipping, even with only 216.

Gavin

What do you mean? Do you mean that the standard G60 clutch is up to the job of 200+bhp? I wouldnt be able to afford to change my clutch unless it went or It would dramaticly reduce the loss of power to the wheels. Cant see a reciept for a clutch in my service history so its probably due to go soon.

I highly recomend the LUK clutch as being one of the best std clutches around!

They're what VW put in them at the factory and agreed, they are very good!

Kev

:) Hi All,

Just to let you guys know I got me clutch replaced for a VR6 one, it is almost identicall other than the clutch plate tensioners as they are thicker and look a lot stronger, other than that and including the thrust bearing its the same, the clutch plate is nice and thick too so should last a few years hopefully even with 200+ HP going throught it, I highly recomend that if you are going to replace the clutch on your G60 then fit the VR6 one as the one I took out doe's not look anywhere near as tough as the one that is going in i.e the VR6. Finally if the VR6 produces 190BHP in standard configuration so naturally you would expect this clutch to be better than the G60 in standard form.

BR

F