sixpotter

New fan blower killing thermal fuses 94 VR6 - help! pg2

As above, got progressivly louder and is now almost stopped and only works on 4. Replaced the foliage cover seal so no more water is getting in but what parts are needed to replace the blower motor, are they the same as a mk2 Golf? Can they be regreased and cleaned or is it better to replcae for new?

*Post edited blower now fitted and blowing the thermal fuses*

Have seen a used mk2 one on the bay so will have to chuck a bid on that as its coming up to chrimbo and all that.. how long to change? If its an a hole of a job I won't wanna do it twice and will have to bite the bullet for new...

The resister pack just clips in but if it's only working on speed 4 (unresisted) then chances are you will either need a new one if it's blown (£20 from VW) or the Thermal fuse replacing

This costs 57p from Maplins and requires soldering

Yep, you need a pair of pliers as well to act as a heatsink - obviously it's a thermal fuse so you don't want to blow it whilst soldering!

New fan fitted, no more helicopter noise or burning smell :D ...however I made a hash of the new fuse it is just too fiddly for me I think I popped it :?

What is the replacement part from VW?

Have now soldered 2 new fuses in the last one didn't blow and worked on all speeds... for one day and now its back as it was on 4! What would happen if I uprated the fuse - would it mess the fan speeds up? Is there another fuse in the fusebox to back up this one?

Cheeeeers

Can't help you here but if you edit your original post subject to something like ' New fan blower killing fuses - resistor pack u/s?....Help! Page 2'

then anyone now ignoring this may have another look!!

mines doing this too - blowing thermal fuses whenever its on speeds 1, 2 or 3. I've modified my resistor housing so i can just pop the fuses in and out without soldering, but still need to take out the glovebox :( Fan is not noisy, runs fine on the first speeds for about 10 minutes (i usually always leave the fan on speed 1) and then blows. any ideas?

is the aircon fan the same as the non-aircon fan?

---------- Post added at 8:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:26 PM ----------

just checked, they're different:(