V-Dubstar

TT/R32 Bushes

Hey all,

Was about to press my front wishbone bushes today but before I did so compared them to the old ones...

The new bushes have a 13.4mm Internal diameter,

The old ones have a 17mm ID.

Now I don't know what goes through these, I presume a rod or bolt of some sort, but are these dimensions correct?! :confused4:

Thanks for ur help :salute:

Yep, that's correct - you don't need the sleeve with the solid ones.

Sorry, how do u mean I don't need the sleeve? What goes through the sleeve??

Apologies for sounding a bit thick in advance :lol:

WTF? I thought that thing was only fitted to the mk2? :confused4:

I've heard about it before, but never taken the wishbones off the mk2 to see if it has them. None of the Corrados had it though - they all had the larger ID bush, and I assumed that the oversize hole was to allow alignment of the subframe to the body.

I take it the R32 bushes with the smaller ID locate the subframe much more accurately on the body.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on what this sleeve *should* be fitted to please? Also how long is the sleeve? Does it just go through the bush, or through the subframe too?

Thanks!

WTF? I thought that thing was only fitted to the mk2? :confused4:

I've heard about it before, but never taken the wishbones off the mk2 to see if it has them. None of the Corrados had it though - they all had the larger ID bush, and I assumed that the oversize hole was to allow alignment of the subframe to the body.

I take it the R32 bushes with the smaller ID locate the subframe much more accurately on the body.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on what this sleeve *should* be fitted to please? Also how long is the sleeve? Does it just go through the bush, or through the subframe too?

Thanks!

Should be fitted to 4cyl Corrado's too.

I've never ever found one (a sleeve) all the times I've taken one (a Corrado) apart though!

I usually fit R32 bushes but the one time I did fit the sloppy std kind I fitted the sleeve's too, they go through the bottom part of the subframe and the bush 'locking' them together.

Personally I only ever use the R32/TT/LCR bush now.

Interesting thanks.

You say 4-cyl Corrados - does the VR6 have a different bush?

Does the R32 bush still lock in to the little C-shaped notches in the subframe?

I might have to get a couple to tinker with - I was going to use them on the V8 anyway :)

The bushes are the same part number, just no sleeve spec'ed on the VR6 (I don't know why).

The R32 bush fits the subframe best if you trim it back a little, the rubber goes right to the end (it will make sense when you look at it) making it a bit tight to get in, trimming it back makes it perfect fit (in my experience).

I've tried std v's poly (couple of different makes) v's R32/TT/LCR all on the same vehicle over the course of a few weeks and (IMO) the R32/TT/LCR are the best compromise between control & NVH.

In addition to this Poly is at it's best when it's being articulated about a (stainless) insert, preferably in one plane that's perpendicular to that insert but the rear bush is articulated the 'wrong' way! i.e. instead of using the poly as a bearing your 'bending' it.

There was a 'study' over on vortex about MK4 rear bushes (which are articulated in two planes) apparently they were wearing badly and failing, it would be my opinion that the rear wishbone bushes may also suffer from this increased wear/failure mode.

When you throw in the cost and the fact it's an OEM part, it seem like a 'no brainer'.

I've tried std v's poly (couple of different makes) v's R32/TT/LCR all on the same vehicle over the course of a few weeks and (IMO) the R32/TT/LCR are the best compromise between control & NVH.

I'd buy that for a dollar.... :D

In addition to this Poly is at it's best when it's being articulated about a (stainless) insert, preferably in one plane that's perpendicular to that insert but the rear bush is articulated the 'wrong' way! i.e. instead of using the poly as a bearing your 'bending' it.

There was a 'study' over on vortex about MK4 rear bushes (which are articulated in two planes) apparently they were wearing badly and failing, it would be my opinion that the rear wishbone bushes may also suffer from this increased wear/failure mode.

Assuming we're still talking about the rear WB bushes when you say MK4, I'd just like to add I've had my TT/R32/Man & his dog rear bushes in for over 2 years now and they've been faultless and they're still perfect. No sign of this 2 way flexing wear....

Everything improves with these bushes and the biggest benefit is the wheels no longer move back and forth under hard braking and acceleration, plus you just get a 'feel good' factor of the tyres keying into the tarmac better than before.

...There was a 'study' over on vortex about MK4 rear bushes (which are articulated in two planes) apparently they were wearing badly and failing, it would be my opinion that the rear wishbone bushes may also suffer from this increased wear/failure mode.

Assuming we're still talking about the rear WB bushes when you say MK4, I'd just like to add I've had my TT/R32/Man & his dog rear bushes in for over 2 years now and they've been faultless and they're still perfect. No sign of this 2 way flexing wear....

that was rear beam bushes IIRC

Sorry I may not have been 100% clear. As has already been pointed out the 'study' on vortex refered to polyurethane MK4 rear beam bushes NOT rear wishbone bushes.

It is true that (somewhat like the MK4 rear beam) the rear wishbone bush is, lets say - not presented in the best way to take best advantage of the materials (i.e. polyurethane) bearing properties...

Which leads to "MY opinion that the MK2/3 polyurethane rear wishbone bush MAY also suffer from this increased wear / failure mode" and my preference for the hard rubber OEM R32/etc part.

I also have had them (R32 bushes) for about 2 years as well and I think they are a 'no brainier' personally, not to mention a really good NVH / handling compromise

Everything improves with these bushes and the biggest benefit is the wheels no longer move back and forth under hard braking and acceleration, plus you just get a 'feel good' factor of the tyres keying into the tarmac better than before.

I know what they are for :grin:

Thanks for the input Simon, very interesting, just for info - here is what I found...

On my TDI converted Corrado I had major issues with a 'torque steer' type pulling effect under acceleration, I went through no end of suspension components trying to find the cause and had several allignment / troubleshooting sessions at Stealth and we couldn't really find anything wrong so in the end I'd almost decided live with it as a 'feature' of having a 340Nm MK4 engine installed in an A2 based chassis...

The only thing I had left was the poly bushed wishbones but was still after a bit more ride comfort so when I heard about the TT / LCR bushes I thought i'd give them a go with some brand new VAG wishbones. Me and a mate fitted them on a ramp at his work and even though the camber was out slightly when I drove out with them, 100 yards up the road I could feel it was 'fixed' with no pulling at all - Was even better after allignemnt on the Biessbarth and It's driven perfectly ever since and that was the only thing we changed that day as the ball joints had been done only months before.

Looking at the Powerflexed wishbones (which were fitted with the sleeve as above) I could see nothing wrong with them, no apparent wear and the bushes were seated correctly and the bolts were definetly not loose - still not sure what the issue was as the car was not particuarly low (wishbones are parellel) but I'll never be using any poly stuff again!

hey nerds ;), just for clarification on this,

its just the wishbones rear bush that can be replaced witht the r32 part, the wishbone front bush has to use the standard corrado part?

thanks.

sam. (nerd in training) :dorky: