Sign in to follow this  
mk4po-low

Flushing coolant system

Im a newbie to corrados, just picked it my 2l 8v last week, engine is running spot on but the coolant system/bottle looks very dirty, i want to flush the whole system and clean out the bottle, does anyone have any guides on how to do this or any tips?

cheerd

I have flushed a coolant system before due to oil contamination from a broken oil cooler and I have used caustic soda. This will get your system as clean as it can be. But word of warning, this stuff is corrosive so wear gloves and do not run car with caustic soda in the system. In fact I would not leave it longer that 10 - 15 mins in the system as it chemically reacts with alloy. So you don't want to cause yourself any probs. You def wont have any rust in the system after this clean out

as a gentler alternative you can get soda crystals from a hardware store - they're mixed with a magnesium carbonate (i believe) so the alkalinity is reduced, but pH is still around 11, so as Rustynuts has said, dont leave it in there for too long! And make sure you flush it out VERY thoroughly :)