coullstar

Winter/Snow tyre discussion thread

I'm such an indecisive twerp when it comes to things I've not used before :? :lol:

The reviews for the budget winter tyres are completely inconsistent, which is all we can go on really. Where I live doesn't get gritted, so for the sake of a few quid I opted for a set of Conti TS800s, which seem to do very well in all the tests I've read so far - http://www.tyretest.com/wintercar_tyres ... index.html

I'll report back on what they're like.

Oh and I went with 195/50/15, they were £59 each inc VAT & Delivery, which I didn't think was too horrendous tbh.

Anybody (Kev) know what size is best for 17" wheels... I can't go smaller due to brake clearance.

I would look myself, but I've just got home from a mental day at work and I plain can't be arsed to do anything

Sorry mate, only just spotted this....

I did look into 17" winters and 205/40 = None. 205/45 = Expensive. 205/50 = Plenty of choice, but will look ridiculous.

215/40 = A few available but expensive. 215/45 = More choice but, again, will look daft.

Looks like the most cost effective way to do this is 17s for summer, 15s for Winter.

Anybody (Kev) know what size is best for 17" wheels... I can't go smaller due to brake clearance.

I would look myself, but I've just got home from a mental day at work and I plain can't be arsed to do anything

Sorry mate, only just spotted this....

I did look into 17" winters and 205/40 = None. 205/45 = Expensive. 205/50 = Plenty of choice, but will look ridiculous.

215/40 = A few available but expensive. 215/45 = More choice but, again, will look daft.

Looks like the most cost effective way to do this is 17s for summer, 15s for Winter.

If I could fit 15s over the Brembo's I would... If I could be bothered to, I'd stick some 288mm brakes and 15" wheels for winter, but not got time to do that this year

I use winter tyres and I'm using a 195 /50 /15

Yes they do do. 205 / 50 /15 I should of had that one but it was only for the mk3 and the 195 is a cheaper option but it wasn't worth it the 195 puts your speedo out by 2.5% not to mention your fuel economy!!! Still very good tyre though for a cheapy primwell good grip no squeals fairly quite and planted through still water

Second time to Germany this year next week as of next year probably 4-5 times to go over there so got to use what they stipulate, fitting times although not set in stone are from oct - Easter and yes your insurance is in valid even if someone hits you and you haven't the correct tyres....

If I could fit 15s over the Brembo's I would... If I could be bothered to, I'd stick some 288mm brakes and 15" wheels for winter, but not got time to do that this year

I'm in the same predicament mate but fitting 288s over winter isn't much work. Just unbolting a few things and pumping the pedal a few times :D But if you haven't got the time, you haven't got the time!

Just ordered mine. Wont get them for a week. Just over £500 for the 4 and thats Nankangs as there was next to nothing left. Note thats for 225/45/17.

With all this wet weather we've been having down south, the Uniroyal Rainsports I've got on my daily have been absolutely brilliant. There wern't great on dry days in the summer but wet weather performance is outstanding. Looking at the tread I shouldn't think they'll be that great in the snow though.

They're not good in snow, you're right there :D

Just bloody remembered the speedlines don't fit over the 280mm rear brakes :roll: :lol:

They're not good in snow, you're right there :D

Just bloody remembered the speedlines don't fit over the 280mm rear brakes :roll: :lol:

How come? Calliper clearance?

Just had a pair of conti ts800's fitted to a spare set of sebrings on the daily :D had a word with a mate who works at a tyre fitters and all they could get me were some Mastersteel tyres for £65 each fitted :lol: Who i said.

Ended up ordering from my tyres after reading on here and with fitting it worked out at £150 all fitted so only £20 more than the shite they were selling.

The chap who fitted them said availability is a major problem though :roll:

Roll on the snow! Just hope they work now but then the tyres that were on are almost shot anyway so will be way better i'm sure :? plus they ill go on the nugget before it goes to the body shop as dont wanna take it in with the BBS wheels on.

The road to work this morning was treacherous... so icy I could feel the car sliding all over the road. Decided enough was enough, and I had to get winter tyres... as the road this morning "wasn't that bad" compared to when it's really winter. Decided I couldn't wait til payday either so persuaded the missus to pay for them whilst they still had them in stock.

Not much selection for 17" wheels, and I ain't buying some new wheels (and new brakes to fit under smaller wheels), so ended up going for Nankang Snow SV-2 in 205/45/17... £63 each delivered. I've got a friend who can fit them for me at the cost of beer. They might not be the best, but they're certainly gonna be better than the tyres I've got. Gonna probably get them fitted to my (moderately knackered) TT Comps as I won't mind so much if I slide into a kurb with those

Just had a pair of conti ts800's fitted to a spare set of sebrings on the daily :D had a word with a mate who works at a tyre fitters and all they could get me were some Mastersteel tyres for £65 each fitted :lol: Who i said.

Ended up ordering from my tyres after reading on here and with fitting it worked out at £150 all fitted so only £20 more than the **** they were selling.

Roll on the snow! Just hope they work now but then the tyres that were on are almost shot anyway so will be way better i'm sure :? plus they ill go on the nugget before it goes to the body shop as dont wanna take it in with the BBS wheels on.

Good man. I got the same kind of response from my tyre fitter today. Sounds like they've been royally f'cked over by the UK stockists. They're charging them 30% more for winters due to supply shortages, which has to be passed onto the customer. No wonder people don't bother with winters in the UK. Same old rip off Britain :roll:

The TS800s feel bloody grippy when you run your hand across the tread!! Do the same on a normal tyre and they feel hard and slippery!

Funky honeycomb tread 8)

Img_0132.jpg

Not much selection for 17" wheels, and I ain't buying some new wheels (and new brakes to fit under smaller wheels), so ended up going for Nankang Snow SV-2 in 205/45/17... £63 each delivered.

They'll still be loads better than the best summer tyre mate..... all winters are just soft and have loads of sipes to increase traction at the end of the day 8)

Ended up ordering from my tyres after reading on here and with fitting it worked out at £150 all fitted so only £20 more than the **** they were selling.

Did I read that right? are you fitting 2 winters and 2 summers?

Not much selection for 17" wheels, and I ain't buying some new wheels (and new brakes to fit under smaller wheels), so ended up going for Nankang Snow SV-2 in 205/45/17... £63 each delivered.

They'll still be loads better than the best summer tyre mate..... all winters are just soft and have loads of sipes to increase traction at the end of the day 8)

Im hoping so as thats what im waiting to get fitted. Needed them today.

Yeah I've had first hand experience driving my dads car, he had budget winter tyres on and they were miles better than the Goodyear summer tyres on the same car, at least they were when it was below around 10 degrees, or wet. On snowy roads you could drive up no problem whilst people were struggling to walk, and going down the same roads they gave you complete confidence that you wouldn't lock up and skid to the bottom

Hopefully mine will be decent, the Nankang summer tyres I had on my old car were alright, so hoping these winter ones are too

You did mate, i know they grip just as well on the rear too but from what i read on here and other places a pair on the front make a massive difference, do you think its a bad idea to do just the fronts?

Running Hankook Icebear W310s on a spare set of pitted Solitudes (185/55s) for my winter tyres (compared to Hankook R-S2 summers).

imgp2491q.jpg

Quite some tread depth...

imgp2500.jpg

...and a lot more than the R-S2s they will be replacing (sorry about poor comparison photo)...

imgp2504p.jpg

Grip is just amazing, and for less than £50 a corner well recommended!

You did mate, i know they grip just as well on the rear too but from what i read on here and other places a pair on the front make a massive difference, do you think its a bad idea to do just the fronts?

with the opposite effect on a FWD corrado

On a FWD car with them just fitted to the front from what I'v read you could have big problems with over steer, I'll try and find the info

Yeah the vid does prove a point but as you say i think the vid doesn't really compare as a Corrado brakes mainly on the front end where as the vid shows standard tyres on the front doing nothing at all.

I guess you have to drive within your limits in the conditions we had last year and if i do get to try them out when it snows and i think they are worth it i'll be happily ordering another pair :)

And then if it's very bad and I need to drive somwhere I can borrow your car. :)

Coz i'll be on me 20 year old mountain bike passing everyone stuck behind idiots who've crashed :lol: :clap: