coullstar

Winter/Snow tyre discussion thread

I'm stuck on 17s, my 15s won't clear the brakes, and suggestions on tyre sizes to look for as I'm struggling.

If you've got 312s then surely swapping to 288s for the winter would be very easy though?

I've gone for 185/55R15's as they're slightly narrower than standard and therefore slightly increase the ground pressure, in turn increasing grip (theoretically!).

They fit fine on standard VR6 Speedlines as I had one trial fitted to a Speedline to make sure it wasn't too 'stretchy' - was absolutely fine. In the end I've opted for a set of 6x15" Bora steelies purely because they were free and I'm not bothered if I kerb one - although the tyres make kerbing in snow a thing of the past!

Incidentally, Wendy, they are Vredestein SnowTrac3 tyres - definitely recommended :)

Vredestein invented Snow tyres, so they should be good :D

It's good to see someone else is so enthusiastic about their snow tyres. They should be added to the "All time great corrado mods" list :D

I nearly put mine in a ditch this morning. I got a bit too c0cky round a hairpin bend and it started veering towards the ditch. I backed off the gas, told the car "don't you dare go in there" and it pulled itself back in line again. That will teach me, LOL. Limits of lateral grip well and truly found :D

Prior to that I spent 90mins making unnecessary journeys and having a whale of a time overtaking 4x4s up dual-carriageway hills etc etc, so as a word of advice, take it easy round the bends. Snow tyres are more about shorter braking distances and at that they are staggeringly good :D Just watch for idiots sliding into the back of you!

I brought 4 Vredestein snow trac 3 tyres on Monday. Just waiting for them to arrive. Thought I'd have a look on the website to see what their delivery time was, looks like the prices have been hitched up again.

Purchaced mine on Monday at £84 each, checked tonight and thay are £124.40 each!

Glad I brought then when I did!

How does all of this affect insurance? Have you all fitted V rated tyres to your VRs? Also, does fitting non-standard sizes to your 15" wheels not have insurance implications?

I've been hearing that some insurers actually INCREASE the premium for fitting winter tyres - seems insane to me.

Got another pair on my rear end today too! same as fronts Conti TS800 £152 fitted at Kwik Fit :clap:

Was meant to get mine fitted yesterday in Edinburgh but i still cant get out of my carpark, thats 8 days now,bet the battery is dead too, :crazyeyes: BUGGER :crazyeyes:

Finally got them fitted, and I know I've been raving about them before I even fitted any this year, but MY GOD!

I think they probably have more grip in the snow than my summer tyres do in just rain. After going to the local independant tyre garage this morning and getting them fitted for £20 in the guys back pocket and a few beers (as opposed to the £10 + vat per corner that they "quote"), I then went in search of a snow shovel. That involved Homebase, B&Q and Halfords carparks, and I just could not get stuck. I tried, I tried hard... I even managed to drive 5 metres into thigh-high snow before the car wouldn't go any further forwards... but reversing back out again wasn't a problem.

The look on peoples faces as I ploughed at 20mph into foot-deep untouched snow in B&Q and then just abandon the car get out and walk in was priceless... one of them said "you'll never get it out now", I told him "just watch me"

I then got back to the car, continued forward through the snow and got out without a problem... much to the annoyance of the BMW X-5 who couldn't even get out of snow half that deep hehehe

I'm now not at all worried about getting stuck in the snow, but I'll still try and get work to put me up in the hotel all week, cos cooked breakfast and free hot dinners every day will save me money on food and lots on petrol.

I even managed to drive 5 metres into thigh-high snow before the car wouldn't go any further forwards... but reversing back out again wasn't a problem.

:lol: i would do that too!

Out my Manual, recommended winter tyres for the VR6 are 185/55/15. On 6Jx15 rims. Inflated to 2.7/2.4 BAR. (Half load)

I think a Monkee's song slightly reworded is appropriate here - "And then I saw her grip, and now I'm a believer!" :D

I dunno if it's just the Conti TS800s, but anyone else find the traction when reversing and braking in particular is bloody impressive? I remember last year cycling through 1st and reverse gears trying to dig through to the tarmac below, but going nowhere. But with the winter tyres, just stick it in reverse and it grips like a summer tyre on a dry day. Truly remarkable.

Same with the braking. I still brake gingerly coming up to junctions etc but find myself pulling up far quicker than expected. The ABS hasn't grumbled once yet!

Out my Manual, recommended winter tyres for the VR6 are 185/55/15. On 6Jx15 rims. Inflated to 2.7/2.4 BAR. (Half load)

39psi!! I was running mine at 36psi and the tread was starting to show signs of wearing in the middle, so I deflated them to 32psi front and 30 rear and grip has improved a fair bit. Hopefully the wearing in the middle will stop too.

I think a Monkee's song slightly reworded is appropriate here - "And then I saw her grip, and now I'm a believer!" :D

I dunno if it's just the Conti TS800s, but anyone else find the traction when reversing and braking in particular is bloody impressive? I remember last year cycling through 1st and reverse gears trying to dig through to the tarmac below, but going nowhere. But with the winter tyres, just stick it in reverse and it grips like a summer tyre on a dry day. Truly remarkable.

Same with the braking. I still brake gingerly coming up to junctions etc but find myself pulling up far quicker than expected. The ABS hasn't grumbled once yet!

I've still not sorted out my ABS sensor yet, so I have no ABS... which is great, because in weather like this it kicks in far too soon.

The tyres grip fine on the road in the wet or dry, if they lock up in the wet I just ease off the pedal slightly til the wheels start turning again.

In the snow, locked wheels build up snow infront of them anyhow, stopping you quicker than ABS... and on ice, well ya just gotta be cautious

I managed to reverse up an icy/snowy bank in the car park at the supermarket today, must have been a good 8-10 degrees slope, not a problem. I find that the grip on even ice is remarkable... this morning at -11, all the water was completely frozen, and as long as that ice is dry grip is good. When it gets close to melting/freezing point, around -3 and above, the ice starts to melt and the water/ice is too slippy, but dry ice at this temp is fine...

One thing I do hate however is freezing fog, and not just cos it freezes to your windscreen instantly, but also it has created a nightmare morning at work

It was only -1 this morning, which is positively mediterranean compared to your end of the country :D

I can't believe I've wasted so many years sliding about like an amatuer skater every winter!

It was only -1 this morning, which is positively mediterranean compared to your end of the country :D

I can't believe I've wasted so many years sliding about like an amatuer skater every winter!

-1... well bring out the shorts n tshirt!!!

Yeah I will never put summer tyres on my car again during the winter months, I still can't believe how good they've been

There is only one problem with my snow tyres !

I`am turning into the pub bore :sleeping:

I cant stop preaching how good they are ! and in my case,cheaper then summer tyres! (£155 for 4 )

Though I suspect they won't thank you when the Insurance Vultures cotton on and insist on Winters being fitted!! Maybe that 39psi has been reviewed over the years? Need a deffo figure from the Manufacturers

Though I suspect they won't thank you when the Insurance Vultures cotton on and insist on Winters being fitted!! Maybe that 39psi has been reviewed over the years? Need a deffo figure from the Manufacturers

I don't care, I think they should be made compulsary... either legally or insurance-wise

any fully comp insurance policy should provide 3rd party cover only in the event of an accident in winter where winter tyres were not fitted. That'll soon teach people, when they're having to pay out for their own repairs.

From the lack of 17" tyres available, are most people reverting back to 15's? Or are they around and just not easily found?

For the amount of miles I do, I can see me not using the C for the next 3 months or so! Just a pity its out on the road in this weather.

They won't insist on them. They'll do what the Germans do and won't pay out for claims made on summer tyres :D

Yeah a proper inflation figure would be helpful. I've just being going by 'feel' and visual clues so far. It could just be the particular tyres I'm using don't like that much pressure!

From the lack of 17" tyres available, are most people reverting back to 15's? Or are they around and just not easily found?

For the amount of miles I do, I can see me not using the C for the next 3 months or so! Just a pity its out on the road in this weather.

For me it was the cheapest option to go back to 15s! I bought a set of speedos, a 288 setup and 4 winter tyres for less money than a set of 17" snow tyres!

There is only one problem with my snow tyres !

I`am turning into the pub bore :sleeping:

I cant stop preaching how good they are ! and in my case,cheaper then summer tyres! (£155 for 4 )

Now you know what I was like last year.

They won't insist on them. They'll do what the Germans do and won't pay out for claims made on summer tyres :D

Yeah a proper inflation figure would be helpful. I've just being going by 'feel' and visual clues so far. It could just be the particular tyres I'm using don't like that much pressure!

For me it was the cheapest option to go back to 15s! I bought a set of speedos, a 288 setup and 4 winter tyres for less money than a set of 17" snow tyres!

Mine weren't that expensive, although next time I need to buy new winter tyres, I think I may do the same. I didn't this year as tbh I cba with the hassle of changing the brakes... I've had enough of brakes this year