GVK

GVK's mk2 Golf VR6 'mit GT3582R turbolader'

It's a Spa copy that a lot of others use, it was cheap as a mate has binned his GT35R for a GT4088 :cuckoo:

Turbo came via C2 motorsports/Turbodynamics

Haven't updated this for ages - have had gearbox refreshed with new bearings and gone back to standard VR6 Final drive.

With the aim to do a top speed run at Brunters, my old 3.68 wouldn't be 'enough'

I've had the head off and fitted a spacer plate (8.5:1) and got the head back on, ex mani/ turbo bolted on,

Unorthodox racing (as per Fidanza) 6lb flywheel back on and new Helix paddle clutch. Gearbox bolted back on.

Once the engine is back in it'll be time to sort out the plumbing for turbo oil feed/drain, down-pipe fabrication and all the intake/boost pipe work - doesn't sound much does it? :salute:

Thanks to Matt @ C2 for all help/advise/parts supply :grin:

pics -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gvkmotorsport/

Nice thread, I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Sounds like you're very experienced with track days too, got any tips? I'm hopefully looking to get a bit of track time this year, or next year for sure

Thanks, I've not done as many track days in the last couple of years as I used to.

My advice is learn to drive on the track first before modding your car to suit (too much)

So many people try to build a race car before learning 'the racing line' and adapting their driving style to suit track driving.

Spend time with an instructor rather than modding your car, they will get you driving round the track much quicker than if you spent £500 on modifications.

I really recommend Circuit Days and Javelin who are both great track day organisations.

Thanks, I've not done as many track days in the last couple of years as I used to.

My advice is learn to drive on the track first before modding your car to suit (too much)

So many people try to build a race car before learning 'the racing line' and adapting their driving style to suit track driving.

Spend time with an instructor rather than modding your car, they will get you driving round the track much quicker than if you spent £500 on modifications.

I really recommend Circuit Days and Javelin who are both great track day organisations.

Yeah I've heard that going round with an instructor on your first few track days is invaluable. It makes sense that experience is worth more than anything else (look at how fast that German lass got the Transit van round the Nurburgring on Top Gear, I sure as hell wouldn't get a VR6 round that quickly yet)

39150_418706714817_642449817_4886949_4587432_n.jpg

Fitz nice'n'tight - heat sheilding needed for column gaiter/clutch m/c and pipes!

39809_418704354817_642449817_4886924_3742350_n.jpg

40003_418805619817_642449817_4889533_1838687_n.jpg

39910_418806269817_642449817_4889592_6653634_n.jpg

Precision wastegate, Seimens 630cc injectors

38657_419033969817_642449817_4897470_1224013_n.jpg

My 35r on my first VRT was just like that,you are going to love the fact your going to spin up in every gear :lol: you gone for the 1.06 housing? you going for all out power?

James, I'm going to run it at 1 bar boost pressure which should give the mk2 about ~400hp/tonne (dyno lottery)

Reason behind the 1.06 housing was to make it slighty *less* responsive than using a smaller housing which should give the transmission a slighty better chance of survival. :grin: Added to the fact I'm keeping the 268 cams in there, I don't think it'll be short of power at the top end. 630cc injectors are fitted so I can use another ECU for E85 and turn the boost up for a top speed run,as they're a bit overkill @1bar boost really. 630cc injectors and C2 60# software supports up to 500hp, turbo is good for 600hp.

As it's a light car I don't think the choice of a larger housing will hamper it's progress much... :lol:

Looking forward to getting it finished!

-

IMG00149-20100810-1123800x600.jpg

Non-chav boost gauge to match VDO oil pressure gauge

IMG00159-20100810-1213800x600.jpg

4" MAF housing to 'trick' ECU into supply more fuel, as per highpowered OEM vw/audi forced induction vehicles

IMG00158-20100810-1212800x600.jpg

I'm undecided about oil cooler location as will have intercooler in front of rad where i used to have the oil cooler, thought about fitting it in old battery location and then add some holes in the bonnet to vent the heat from it ( the bonnet is dented etc so it wouldn't hurt to experiment)

IMG00155-20100810-1138800x600.jpg

its coming along nicely :)

where did you get that MAF housing and cone filter form? same as mine and i could do with a new cone filter

Hey mate I just noticed you're now in Cambs, where abouts?

Loving the build by the way, but then I loved the ABF build when you had that as well..... think it's the black track mk2 thing... :lol:

I'm undecided about oil cooler location as will have intercooler in front of rad where i used to have the oil cooler.....

I had the same on mine, once the rad and front mount intercooler were in place there wasnt much space for an oil cooler (plus it wouldnt have been very effective) so I relocated mine here:

Mock up pics

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Not sure its the same on the mk2.... Welded small strips onto the bumper iron and mounted it at an angle, this has been very effective and it sits neatly behind the lower grill on the Corrado OE bumper.

Ben - 4" Cone filter/MAF housing from C2 motorsports UK

any 4" (100mm) filter will do, longer the better :D

Loving the build by the way, but then I loved the ABF build when you had that as well..... think it's the black track mk2 thing... :lol:

I'm nr Wisbech :wave:

Thanks for the pics of oil cooler - I'm being tight and don't want to buy new hoses so I'll just see where it fits and mount it where ever :lol: If I have to cut the bumper its no big deal as it's only the outer skin anyway. All the irons have been removed just left a bit each side to locate the bumper.

I'm nr Wisbech :wave:

are you still setting up in business on the other side of the country then?!