Sign in to follow this  
KARMANN

tuning engine

Am very tempted, need to see what my oil pressure problems are being caused by over the weekend before I decide as I might have to spend all my available cash on repairs rather than mods :(

Phil, oil pressure problems can be put down to a couple of easily fixed things usually.

The oil pump pickup being blocked, bits of crud that develop in the engine due to missed/late oil changes or bits of gaskets etc from top end rebuilds.

If the oil changes have been neglected then there is a good possibility that the big ends have suffered excessive wear. These cost 10 quid from GSF and you need a sump gasket too.

If you are taking the sump off to check the pump, then you might as well change the big ends while you are in there.

The bottom end, crank and bearings at least, of a 9A 16V are similar to a G60. Which I am sure you know come with 160 hp as standard. I cannot think of anyone who has an unchipped and pullied G60, which means the bottom ends are good for much more than 160.

I doubt whether fitting some cams in your motor, will do any damage. If they did, another 9A motor would be pretty cheap as there are a few of them around. I got everything from under the bonnet of a 9A Passat including the box for 140 quid.

If you need any torque settings for the pump or big ends ask and I'll look them up for you.

If you take the pump off, it is important to torque it back up correctly, so as not to distort it and do it, and the engine any damage.

Gavin

also andy the 9A bottom end is know to be the best for modifing etc inmy opinion aswell

VW Motorsport used the ABF....sinse they go to the effort in the gearbox.....why would they not use a different bottom end if it was weak?

I'd bet VW motorsport also used a different crank, con-rods, pistons, valves and had it running with a different capacity when they used that block! :wink: :roll: :lol:

Cheers Gavin.. I had the oil pump relaced just before christmas so am somewhat p1ssed with these pressure problems.. replaced both pressure switches yesterday in hope that it would be a simple fix but NO my C is out to get me!!!

The chap at G & S was telling me that if the pumps just been done it may be that it wasn't tightened up enough or even with the correct amount of torque they have been known to come lose... so it's heading back to the garage in the week to get sorted (I hope)

If the buzzer is going off it could be a instrument pod defect. You could do to monitor the oil pressure with a gauge, just to make sure you are not chasing your tail.

Gavin