Kevin Bacon

Tie rod flip kit

Would I benefit from one of these kits at all with the drop of Koni TAs and H&R set up?

It will be good to see how you get on with them Supercharged. How much of a drop do you have?

When do these kits become useful? Say 50mm drop plus? Or just when you've lowered the car more than the thickness of the steering control arm on the hub?

I would say probably about 50mm yes. The ideal would exactly the difference in the rotational centre of the balljoint between placing it on top and below the arm on the hub.

Curiosly most of the balljoint extenders only seem to be about 25-30mm long, so they don't actually keep the relationship between balljoint and tre the same. Not sure if thats by design or not though.

Yeah, both mine are around 50mm and have an equal gap between the wheels and arches (so looks spot on IMO) but the wishbones point very slightly upwards.

The Corrado suspension was kind of lowered as standard so a 35mm drop on H&R's will leave the wishbones parallel - 35mm is a significant change so I'd say it's worth doing.

Yeah it is a shame about the lower BJ extender not being doable on the VR platform. I suppose you could make a spacer where the 3 bolts attach the BJ to the wishbone? I.e. make say a 20mm thick spacer, bolt that to the wishbone, and then bolt the BJ to that. It works in my head, but probably wouldn't in practice :lol:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthr ... 482&page=3

DSC01070.jpg

Right, got the sleeves fitted - really don't know when I will actually fit them to a car though tbh...

A Pillar drill was used with a nice and sharp Dormer drill bit, the carrier was clamped nice and tightly and the drill went through it like butter at a slow speed using coolant / cutting oil.

Fit was very tight but just used a big vice to push the sleeves in.

very nice!

i never knew that you were part of the "dark side" modding fraternity Mr Supercharged - thought you were an OEM-all-the-way man!

Good work Steve!!

So the sleeves drop in from the top I assume so that the BJ can be removed again at a later date without the sleeve coming out with it?

Are they ally or Stainless?

They should really drop in from the top so that the Sleeve's shoulder will prevent it from pulling out when removing the TRE.

so get the inserts, flip the rods and fit the PMW extenders and jobs a gooden?

is it too much to hope that this would be the same on a mk3?

Ah you mean the BJ extenders, nope, not compatible with the VR6. It doesn't use the pinch bolt arrangement. Only way to do that on the VR6 is make up a spacer to bolt the BJ onto.

ok so just looking at a balljoint, i guess it wouldnt be as simple as getting a sleave machined up, thats threaded to take the balljoint, then tapers and is threaded to bolt up to the stock position? or would extended that begin to interfere with the back of the disc?

Have been pointed towards this thread as I'm having track rod issues. Basically because my car is rather low the track rods seemed to have fouled the chassis at their closest point as they tilt up. Would this sort it?

Mechanic said my car was dangerous because of this and if it is fouling properly then I guess it is. So is there a kit for a late 16v that I could use?