Sign in to follow this  
UKG Grant

ABS Light

Hello, I have a K reg corrado vr6, it failed its MOT today as the ABS light was not working, any ideas on what this could be, i have not had a chance to check yet as its dark, but any common problems that are know would be great for me to check!

any ideas would be great

Cheers

Grant

if the bulb is not illuminating when ignition is turned on it could be the bulb filament gone, which is very small, if you take it out and diasassemble it you can check the bulb to see if it has gone!

myn went on vr, make sure you get the correct one,use the part number satmped on it, as there are many diffrent types.hope this helps

excellent mate cheers! bulb was my first place to look, thought it might be an LED though but il check that first and work back from there i suppose! :) any other things to check/look for would be great!

Has the light ever come on since you have had the car?

It's not uncommon for sellers to remove the blub to hide abs faults :shock:

I cant say i have ever noticed, if i fit a bulb and it is on constant im guessing il have to go somewere to get it sorted?

Hopefully it's just the bulb gone but if you do connect it and it's on constant then you do have a fault somewhere.

fingers crossed.

ok, took the light out to discover it was not plugged in. after plugging it in it is now on constantly, would this be a fault code that needs removing? or mabye a sensor not plugged in correctly or a loose conection?

any ideas welcome!

Quel Surprise!!! I hate it when people do things like that :censored:

Mind you, I patched up a massive crack in a wall with polyfilla to sell a house once :lol:

You need to get it on VAG-COM diagnostics to fault code the ABS ECU.

The 3 most common ABS faults I've seen on the VR6 are:-

Wheel speed sensor faults

Pedal position sensor fault - You'll feel the ABS kicking in at slow speeds and randomly, even with very light pedal pressure.

Differential lock valve (the crappy pseudo 'Traction control' system) fault - Snow and ice drives it crazy.

And if you get this, you may need a new ABS pump (well over £1000 new):-

ABS pump outlet valve faults (1 - 4)

Have a scoot around the car and make sure all 4 ABS sensors are plugged in and the connectors are secure etc. Although all the connectors have gold plated pins, double check for corrosion in case the orange rubber connector seals are missing.

Make sure the ends of the ABS sensors don't have any metallic debris on them as that can mess up the signal to the ECU.

The fronts have a connection on the turret towers next to the top mounts.

The rears have the same connections, but they're under the rear seats.

Check also the ABS ECU plug hasn't got corroded. It's behind the kick panel in the passenger front footwell under the shelf.

If everything looks OK physically, get it on the diagnostics, reset the fault codes. Any persistent faults will come back on the fault code screen immediately.

excellent mate! very good info there :) gives me a nice list of things to check, im hoping its just a connector of some sort, odd that its been unplugged though, which is what makes me think its something worse. arwell il find out tomorrow :)

cheers for the help! :)

Now that's a blinking useful post!! - I think we should campaign for Mr Haywire's version of Bentley!!

Sorry to hijack but my ABS went squiffy just after Christmas during the (guess what?!) snow and ice.... That'll be a suspect differential lock valve then! Or some crap on one of the sensors.... Job done, now I know what the problem is it hardly seems worth bothering to sort it :lol:

Incidentally, does anyone know what cable works with the latest release of Haywire?? - I could do with downloading it for easy reference...! :lol:

excellent mate! very good info there :) gives me a nice list of things to check, im hoping its just a connector of some sort, odd that its been unplugged though, which is what makes me think its something worse. arwell il find out tomorrow :)

cheers for the help! :)

Where abouts are you based? There may be someone local to you on here with VAG-COM who could hook it up and check the codes.

Just noticed teh other day that the abs light has never come on on my raado abs never kicked in thoe, went and had a look at the lamp and a s predicted not pluged in :censored: so now i need to investigate sooo mad about it.

Just noticed teh other day that the abs light has never come on on my raado abs never kicked in thoe, went and had a look at the lamp and a s predicted not pluged in :censored: so now i need to investigate sooo mad about it.

Yep, if that ABS light doesn't come on with the ignition the alarm bells should be ringing :shock:

Dont wory they are of all the things i checked on the car when i bought it some how i missed that, never mind mistakes happen and all tbh it was the best cond i had seen when looking lol thus why i bought it :?

ill have a dam gd look at i electrician by trade amongst another profession lol so feel confident in testing about for the fault just wonderd thoe if you know weather a faulty naughty sensor will make abs light stay on? or is it only pump probs that make lifht stay on?

Quel Surprise!!! I hate it when people do things like that :censored:

Mind you, I patched up a massive crack in a wall with polyfilla to sell a house once :lol:

You need to get it on VAG-COM diagnostics to fault code the ABS ECU.

The 3 most common ABS faults I've seen on the VR6 are:-

Wheel speed sensor faults

Pedal position sensor fault - You'll feel the ABS kicking in at slow speeds and randomly, even with very light pedal pressure.

Differential lock valve (the crappy pseudo 'Traction control' system) fault - Snow and ice drives it crazy.

And if you get this, you may need a new ABS pump (well over £1000 new):-

ABS pump outlet valve faults (1 - 4)

Have a scoot around the car and make sure all 4 ABS sensors are plugged in and the connectors are secure etc. Although all the connectors have gold plated pins, double check for corrosion in case the orange rubber connector seals are missing.

Make sure the ends of the ABS sensors don't have any metallic debris on them as that can mess up the signal to the ECU.

The fronts have a connection on the turret towers next to the top mounts.

The rears have the same connections, but they're under the rear seats.

Check also the ABS ECU plug hasn't got corroded. It's behind the kick panel in the passenger front footwell under the shelf.

If everything looks OK physically, get it on the diagnostics, reset the fault codes. Any persistent faults will come back on the fault code screen immediately.

all there i think mate :)

Wish I'd seen that before my last MOT! My abs had been disconnected, so the garage reconnected it and the light came on (orange light of doom...). they ended up replacing two wheel sensors because of the fault codings but I bet they didnt check any connections for corrosion etc etc!! Bar steward...

that awnsers that one then lol fingers crossed for crapy sensors cnt b botherd with pupm agro lol, if ones gone ill replace em all, save further probs