Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Detailing headlights - what to use?

Im gonna detail my headlights (painting the reflectors inside), and was wondering what people have used and if they've encountered any problems in doing so etc?

Was thinking of some sort of high temp paint?

TIA :grin:

^^^agreed^^^

dont think you hav to worry to much about heat and normal paint will take the heat that your lights give off

^^^agreed^^^

dont think you hav to worry to much about heat and normal paint will take the heat that your lights give off

The part of the reflectors you paint is sat in front of the bulb anyway so heat def shouldnt be a problem.

I had some Black garage door paint lying around so used that, it's similar stuff to hammarite. Worked a treat.

Sorry for the hijack of this thread, but was thinkin about doin the same thing to my headlights. I have also seen people detail the inner around the full beam in yellow, has anyone done this and what did they use to do it?

Thanks.

Anyone got any pic's of this mod or any pointers on what best way to go about it?

Anyone got any pic's of this mod or any pointers on what best way to go about it?

Haven't got any pics but just take your time when painting - be fussy 8)

The paint I used was Hammerite smooth garage door paint, only because I had it lying around.

Haven't got any pics but just take your time when painting - be fussy 8)

The paint I used was Hammerite smooth garage door paint, only because I had it lying around.

I think Sam is more concerned with going about getting the circular bit yellow? Could be wrong tho...

Agree with u Dave, make sure u get in everywhere but be SUPER careful :D

Ideally i wanna do both, paint the faces of the inners black and the inners of the full beam yellow. Just wonderin' what paint to use for the yellow? mmmm. Am guessin you cant mask off the lights 'cos you'd wreck the reflectors, so a carefull and patient hand is needed i guess?

Ideally i wanna do both, paint the faces of the inners black and the inners of the full beam yellow. Just wonderin' what paint to use for the yellow? mmmm. Am guessin you cant mask off the lights 'cos you'd wreck the reflectors, so a carefull and patient hand is needed i guess?

Yup, and tbh, unless u've got a major case of the shakes or somethin', u'll be fine! Take ur time, cover everywhere, move the headlight around in different angles in the light to check u haven't missed anywhere.

As for the yellow, not sure mate - was tempted to do it myself but bailed!!

So, finally gonna get round to detailing the headlights and gonna pop down to halfords or somewhere to get some hammerite. Also thinkin....C488ADO, you said you used a permanent marker to do yours, did you find it left a mattalic kind of finish? Sometimes those permanent markers leave a purply colour. Is it noticable or did it not leave that colour? :)

Thanks.

I used a permanent marker too mate, colour was fine. I bought a new Edding marker for the job. If I did it again tho Id use paint because there were a couple of areas hard to get the marker right in.

I suppose i could give it a go with the marker and i could always paint over it if it doesnt work out too well? Only thinkin 'cos i got a marker now to give it a go with! :)

Yeh man, I managed like. But there's some deep recesses along the vertical point in which ur effectively 'seperating', that were hard to get into! Good luck dude! Good opportunity to clean all the green gunk from between the glass/plastic etc!

Well finally got round to the headlights yesterday, and the marker worked a treat. I ended up leaving the recess inbetween the main beam and full beam 'cos like you said V-Dubstar, it was a bit of a nightmare to get to! But they look kickass now and I gave 'em a good clean in the process. May split them again as i wouldnt mind paintin the full beam inners yellow. mmmm :)