Sign in to follow this  
junkie

Mk4 Golf R32

This will also apply to a standard 3 door.

Anybody know about R32's, what to look out for, when should the chains be done.

Main thing is I'm expecting my 1st child on august is it a practical enough car for a child, not really wanting a 5 door so I don't mind struggling a little with the car seat and hoping isofix solves that a little but how about the boot space, are they big enough.

All help and advice appreciated.

Believe you can check the chain condition with diagnostic software. Try searching R32OC.COM lots of useful info on there :)

Already had a quick look on there but never heard of checking with vagcom. Good to know that.

What I have found is people saying I need to sell as were expecting our 1st child lol, so really looking for advice from somebody who has had 1 with a child prefably.

My son runs an 18t with the Recaro interior and apart from the usual inconvenience of getting into the back of a three door he never really had any problems. Boot is a really good size, deep and rectangular, so no problems swallowing up push chairs etc. His son has just turned three and still uses the child seat so apart from the tricky access you won't have any problems.

The only thing to remember is that the R32's boot wont be quite as deep due to the 4WD gear, but other than that I've had a look round one and it was pretty big.

Yeah the R32's boot isn't as deep as the FWD Golf's.

The front seats of the 3 door MK4 R32 hit the roof when tilted forward apparently, so that may cause a few curses getting the baby in and out of the back. A 5 door would be better imo.

Pick up a copy of PPC as they've got a good MK4 R32 buying guide in there this month.

There do seem to be some stories about R32 chains not being as robust as they could be. Certainly on my own 2.8 24V the lower chain guide has snapped just like it does on the 12V. Bits of upper tensioner pad dropping into the sump certainly isn't an issue with any 24V, but overall the setup is no better than the 12V's. Personally I would still do the chains every 100K, regardless.

The good news is the 24V doesn't seem to eat it's bores by 100K miles like the 12V. The valves and guides seem to live longer too. That silly money long life oil partly to be credited for that perhaps?

can get my daughter in the back of my VR6 can be a litle bit tight for space some times (only cos shes in a rear facing sit), and I imagine the R32 has alot more head room space, bigger boot than the VR.

have been looking at these on piston heads for awhile, and i must amit i would be tempted but they seem to hold their value well, i would probably get bugger all for my Rado VR as well!!! ,

The big question is would you have one over a good Corrado VR6 tho?

Are they alot better to drive than the VR? are they easier to live with on a daily basis over a Rado VR? Want i personally like about the MK4 R32 is they are pretty good striaght out the box, i.e dont really have to lower it, looks good standard etc :D

I just can't bring myself to turn into a proper family car driver with a 5 door lol I'm 30 in July.

That's 1 reason I'm thinking R32 as you say they are good out of the box with the higher head height and my mrs although she liked my corrado she never ever wants 1. Having spoke to my neighbours who had a 5 door new astra then got a 3 door as they said the 5 door looked like a granny car and now have a hyundai 4 x 4 thing they said it was actually easier with the 3 door for whatever reason.

The plan is once the kid is older and were debt free she can have any car she wants and I get to keep the 32 and turn it into my toy, which inevitably means going turbo woohoo. Long way off mind but the seed has been planted.

I will look for the mag as well. Seen one on pistonheads for 8600 but with 78k on the clock hence why I ask about chains. Still a vr newbie.

I will look for the mag as well. Seen one on pistonheads for 8600 but with 78k on the clock hence why I ask about chains. Still a vr newbie.

If it's a genuine 78K and it's been well looked after, that car won't give you any mechanical bother for a long, long time.

Compared to a well sorted Corrado VR6, personally I would say they're not quite as nice to drive. Don't get me wrong, I've driven a MK5 R32 and loved it. It's incredibly smooth, ride quality is superb and obviously the car feels like it's been carved from granite compared to a Rado.....but the first corner you come to, the love affair ends for me. Far too much body roll, slightly too soft damping and the nose weight is very noticable. The MK4 is a slightly firmer car though, but that criticism is nothing decent suspension couldn't correct.

The real and most noticable benefit of any R32 and worth the asking price alone, is flooring it from standstill :D Where a Corrado will be weaving left to right and wheel spinning, the R is just a dead straight rocket ship with 100% traction :notworthy: Flooring it mid bend is also hilariously grippy!

Personally Id rather get a similar mileage 5dr Mk5 Gti for not a lot more. Mk4 R32's as standard are not worth the money IMO. Not really that fast and drink fuel like its going out of fashion.

If you want V6 and 4wd get a 4motion. Not quite as competent but less than half the price.

I def want AWD still so we were initially looking at cough Subaru imprezas.

Don't really mind the running costs I just like it nice inside, I know it won't have the balls out riding a rollercoaster ride of the corrado but I'm not buying it for that, it would be a long term plan to turn it into what I want not what vw intended, so it will do family duties 1st and foremost then will eventually be a toy. The initial family period will be sorting out the handling etc all on prep for the turbo conversion.

If honest my love affair has gone with the corrado but I think that's cos I have not drove one since April 2009 and I will always remember how mine was and will just be disappointed with another if I ever get another.

have a look at subaru legacy estates and legnums ie galant with twin turbo :D immensly uneconomical but if your looking at r32s you aint going for econmics :D imo alot better looking at respectful than imprezas :gag:

When i found my wife was pregnant got rid of her eos,and we cudnt decide on a car we both liked

so got a passat cc and its great not quite as boring as a passat but terrible on fuel big boot tho :D

The real and most noticable benefit of any R32 and worth the asking price alone, is flooring it from standstill :D Where a Corrado will be weaving left to right and wheel spinning, the R is just a dead straight rocket ship with 100% traction :notworthy: Flooring it mid bend is also hilariously grippy!

Spot on :)