coullstar

288 v 312

I got through 3 sets of Audi 312 discs (they all warped) before throwing the towel in and getting the Brembo ones. I only used the Audi ones because I know someone who works there and got them cheap, but you'd think OE discs fitted to a 1400kg Audi TT 225 would work well on a VR6 wouldn't you?

Pagid 'Fast Road' used to work well but I think they're discontinued now, or called something else.

Don't laugh, but I fitted these to the Girlfriend's Polo GTI - http://www.brakeworld.co.uk/brakeworld/ ... bw4008.htm

Her Mum gets them really cheap through her work (she works for the company who make EBC's and other firm's discs and things) and they cost us something like £12 for 4 pads. They are the 288/312 pads, but with a wear sensor. They do non-wear sensor ones too. I think RRP they're only something like £25.

The pads I took off the Polo were Ferodo 'Sport', but these cheapos had an even better initial bite and so far I haven't faded them under normal (read sensible) driving.

They also do the rear pads, which I use in my Corrado and her Polo and they work just aswell as anything else I've used, and cost me about £8 a set :D

http://www.brakeworld.co.uk/brakeworld/ ... bw4074.htm

So to get this all straight, are people saying, don't bother with any upgrade unless you're swapping to 4pots, but if you need new standard discs, get brembo discs from a motor factors?

dont bother with an upgrade from 288 to 312. an upgrade from 280 to either of those will be noticeable but not life-changing in the way that 4-pots will be.

dont bother with an upgrade from 288 to 312. an upgrade from 280 to either of those will be noticeable but not life-changing in the way that 4-pots will be.

Yup, thats what I'm saying aswell.

And if you do decide to go to 288/312, then use Brembo as oppose to OE

Black Diamond + Ferrodo was always a good partnership in my MK1 days. You think VR6 brakes are bad, MK1 brakes are actually lethal in standard form!!!

Never used Tarox pads or discs, so can't comment on those mate.

The DS2500 is probably one of the best all round pads in existence. They have a consistent 0.5 friction (oe pads are around 0.35) and the dust doesn't destroy wheel laquer like some other intermediate pads.

A little more on that coefficient of friction. It's a measurement of how 'aggressive' the pads are in terms of bite. OE pads are low to stop pensioners putting themselves through the windscreen. Race pads tend to be more aggressive. The scale is 0.1 to 1. 0.1 being ice on ice and 1 being sticking an iron bar through wheel spokes. So the Ferrodos are a good half way house and they maintain it regardless of temp.

I've got some 0.65 Pagid race pads at home. They're noisy, the dust has a radioactive half life and sets fire to hedgerows and they are terrible from cold, but get some heat in them and you'll get whiplash if you stand on them!!

I've got some 0.65 Pagid race pads at home. They're noisy, the dust has a radioactive half life and sets fire to hedgerows and they are terrible from cold, but get some heat in them and you'll get whiplash if you stand on them!!

HAHAHAH!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it! Just love it!!! Wouldnt expect any less from you :cuckoo: :tongue:

Right, DS2500 it is! Where from?

Not to pester ya mate, but any reply via email to my PM ya lazy sod!! Some opinions I need from ya, I'm waiting to get via the email! I promise I wont email ya back if it helps! :lol:

Right, DS2500 it is! Where from?

Not to pester ya mate, but any reply via email to my PM ya lazy sod!! Some opinions I need from ya, I'm waiting to get via the email! I promise I wont email ya back if it helps! :lol:

Anywhere mate, just stick it in google :D £150 ish though :?

Yeah I'm still working on the reply. Wait until you see what an essay it is on email compared to a PM!!!

A good place to get DS2500 pads is Circuit Supplies, near Leighton Buzzard. Ask for Tim.

If you are able to collect you save on 'postage costs''. The pads are sent 'post-free', but if you collect there's a discount, lol.

Other then the DG option does anyone know a place to get a good spacer from, I know 6mm washers will do the trick but I wanted something neater

and the extended bolts too if anyone knows...

The DG one would be perfect except the shield is no good to me as I'm fitting 4 pots

Daft question, but I upgraded to 288 calipers last year but fancy tarting them up to nice red ones. Been on here :

http://www.biggred.co.uk/caliperpricing.html

and think I will splash out and get them done for me, but what calipers have I got? Golf Mk 3? I thought they were Mk 4 to be honest but may well be wrong. Are there different types of 288 calipers?

You probably have the ATE 288 calipers from the 9/95 on Golf 3 VR6 to MK4, TT etc. The 288 caliper was then changed to a Lucas one, but these aren't as common as the ATE.

yeah my missus's 06 Polo GTI has Lucas 288s on it, but my old 288s of a Highline were ATE, and yep, they're interchangable. The hoses might be a little different, so you might want to check that.

Cheers Kev, will have a look. Mine are off an 07 Fabia VRS, front and back

Green to match the Classic green paint (well, not really, its a bit Kermit grren bright .. lol)

But thanks for the heads up re the hoses, will have a look, started fitting the fronts last w/e, but had the usual issue with the hard hoses, so had to get new copper replacements which will be going on tonight hopefully

Thansk

Phil