Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Replacing the driveshaft :(

Hi chaps,

Got the car back from Volkswagen today and they've told me I need to replace the left drive shaft. They initially thought it was the right-side wheel bearing, but have since decided its the LEFT driveshaft.

They've quoted me €396 (£346) for the following part numbers and labour:

1H0 407 271 CX (does this include the inner/outer CV boots too?!)

N 905 876 02

N 911 082 01

Is this a good price? I seem to be spending loads on my Corrado lately... :gag:

Cheers.

vw do an exchange drive shaft which is complete. its around £280 plus exchange surcharge over here.

would be suprised if the drive shaft has 'gone' but more likley to be one or both CV joints.

not too hard to do on the drive with basic tools in all fairness.

stick a wanted up.

i got one with cv joints and new boots for £50 posted.

changed it on the drive too, so that was all in.

*edit if you are actually german, the english person selling it should rape you on postage to return the favour*

I've looked the part number up on www.vagcat.com and it looks that the main part is 'number 1' (part number: 1HO407271CX) so its the whole driveshaft plus the uber-expensive inner and outer CV joints and all other little bits. Gutted that its going to cost me that much, but I suppose I have to bite the bullet.

I wonder if they'll take my old driveshaft in exchange?

buy one from someone breaking one on here, will probably be about £20. Do it yourself, its a bit fiddly and you need to buy a splined bit and a hub nut socket if you don't have one but to be honest i bet it will save you at least £200 and you get to get your hands oily :D

Ah, so I could just buy the inner and outer CV joint kits and then do it myself?

Outer

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volks ... c12b8&CVJT

Inner

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volks ... 3b2dd&CVJT

Surely the actual bit of metal driveshaft can't be damaged or the car would be driving all over the damn place?! :confused4:

yes you can do it yourself and no the driveshaft shouldn't be damaged.

some useful tools to get hold of before hand are a copper hammer (to prevent damaging threads etc when tappng the new driveshafts on/old items off) and a set of circlip pliers for the fiddly little circlips on the shaft itself.

if you're getting genuine replacements then they'll come with metal ties - get a garage or a dealer to crimp these up properly as you won't have the proper tool...

Did they explain why the shaft needs replacing? Unless the splines the CVs locate onto are so worn out that the CVs are loose as hell, I can see no reason at all to replace a straight piece of metal and I've never seen that happen. Unless of course it's been bashed and no longer running true?

Had a proper result today at Volkswagen regarding the car.

Basically for sometime now I've had a odd grinding noise when turning left in the car and its mean't a bit of hassle and two/three different Volkswagen employee's stating different things. Spent about an hour today talking to the dealership and even under the car with one of the Master mechanics.

What started at €600+ (£526+) ended up being €450 all in (£394) after some pretty hard discussions, which is 3 out of 4 CV joints, plus fixing the (new) gearbox leak which Van Kronenburg Autosport will refund me for about €100ish for the part and labour (£87). So all in all its costing me €350 (£307) to have my car back 100% fixed by the weekend!!! Well chuffed.

How on earth can VW misdiagnose worn CV joints as a knackered driveshaft? I'd totally understand such incompetence from English VW dealers, but German ones?? That's bad :lol:

Maybe the 'technicians' didn't realise you can actually replace CV joints and the long bit of metal between them can be reused :D