Sign in to follow this  
pebisit

Service items VR6 - 95

Right, just about ready to unleash the Storm (well, after this w/e when the CV joints get replaced)

Anyhow, thought I'd give it a service beforehand as I ahve no proof the guy before me did (a mechanic, reckoned he serviced it every 5k)

Anyhow, only want to give it the best, so

Plugs - NGK BKR5EKUP?? (theres also a BKR5EKU on the NGK site, but Im guessing the P is the platinum ones)

HT Leads (no idea, oe or is there anythign better??)

Air filter - was going to fit K&N panel, but reading the air filter thread would appear VW may be better

Oil - Any ideas??

Oil filter - VW??

Only want the best to look after the beasty, so any ideas very welcome. And wile I'm at it, anything else I should change assuming it may not have been for a while.

If any of this stuff is available from anyone else cheaper but at the same quality, I'd be really grateful if you let me know

Thanks

Phil

Sounds about right, most people on here use synta silver (or titan xtr as its now called) oil from German and Swedish (GSF Carparts). Its the same stuff as VW themselves use. Filter wise, VW or decent brand from GSF will be fine.

Cheers guys, will do the gearbox oil as well, whats the best stuff for that???? And how much??

Thanks

I've used Redline MT90 before - most recommend that on here......was good enough for me - how much ?? uhmm cant really remember, someone will come along soon and tell you that.

Check out Opie oils for MT90 ;)

Change the fuel filter too.

You can get good OE quality leads (identical!) made by Beru from http://www.vwspares.com for a very good price.

Get oil (quantum synta silver) and oil filter from VW.

MT90 is very good, as is Silkolene Syntran 5... never used the Silkolene but heard good things about it :)

Brilliant, thanks everyone, I know this has been done before, but things move on (i.e. the oil name) so I appreciate everyones input

Re the plugs, I am better off with the platinum ones??

Will check out Opie oils for the liquid stuff - MT90, anyone know how much you need??

Get oil (quantum synta silver) from VW.

Thought had all moved on Synta Platinum...still in a silver container.

Is that what mean?

Is that what mean?

Well this is the stuff I recently got from the stealers. It was about twice the price of vwspares, I should have check online first :mad2:

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... ts_id=1137

Brilliant, thanks everyone, I know this has been done before, but things move on (i.e. the oil name) so I appreciate everyones input

Re the plugs, I am better off with the platinum ones??

Will check out Opie oils for the liquid stuff - MT90, anyone know how much you need??

The normal ones will be fine mate.

Check this for service information:

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/servicing_guide.html

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/engine_oil_ ... hange.html

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/gearbox_oil_change.html

Forum is having a 'moment' sorry for double post, can't delete them :/

Is that what mean?

I wouldnt recommend the Platinum mate. My dealer said its good stuff, and granted he gave it to me free (regular you see :p ) but my car went through the stuff real quick. Changed back to the Silver stuff and its much better!

I thought they phased out the Silver and was only old stock left if you could find it?

Not used the platinum yet other than in a PD engine but now VR is breathing again it will need serviced, was going to give the platinum a go but might stick with the Magnatec as that#s been used all it's life almost, well according to dealer receipts.

Had a look at some other day and says not suitable for vr6, surely must be if some dealers been using it?

I thought they phased out the Silver and was only old stock left if you could find it?

Not used the platinum yet other than in a PD engine but now VR is breathing again it will need serviced, was going to give the platinum a go but might stick with the Magnatec as that#s been used all it's life almost, well according to dealer receipts.

Had a look at some other day and says not suitable for vr6, surely must be if some dealers been using it?

I had no problem getting Silver from the stealers and if you look at my link above, vwspares sell it too.

regarding the plugs, I would have gotten the "regular" ones - not the platinum.

AFAIK the VR6 is more "comfortable" with the regular ones - or so I'v heard.

I'v run the regular ones on my Passat VR6 now for roughly 5 years - as a daily so they atleast seem to be alright :)

Well this is the stuff I recently got from the stealers. It was about twice the price of vwspares, I should have check online first :mad2:

How much did you pay then oliherst? It's just about £18 from my stealers, and from VW spares plus VAT it's not far off that..?

How much did you pay then ollievr6? It's just about £18 from my stealers, and from VW spares plus VAT it's not far off that..?

Sorry my Xbox has been calling so haven't been on 'ere for ages. I paid £25 all in for 5 litres then (as you need 5.5 for a change) I got another 1l bottle from someone on here for a few quid delivered.