Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

US spec clear headlights...

theyre either non standar units, which it loks like, cause they aint seated quite right, or, they are new glass bonded on. buddha a forum member used to be a lot, use to do this too, and the indicators.

yeah theres no holes for screws on the indicators...they look like small 'RING' fogs you can buy from halfords.

Would cutting some perspex sheeting do the job?

Has the guy also painted the partitions black in the inside of the lamp..someone else on here did that when they took the lenses off to clean them.

The Vr666 corrado's lights seem to be kinda like something In-pro produce for the mk4 polo...glass polishing may just work!

making 'em outta plastic/perspex is a really bad idea too... 60 seconds of main beam and all you're left with is a molten splat on the front of your car where your BLING covers used to be... :roll: :lol:

dubbprince, late spec stuff doesnt have holes for adjusting the screws, another reason why they look far better.

But spot on with the red car, thay are just standard lights with the bits that dont reflect light, painted black. the glass will b custom bonded in, like zarman did with his Audi A6 transplant 8)

yeah, the glass does have a lot to do with beam pattern, hence why when you go to euro land, you have to put funny stickers on your headlights to block just that. like the same when the come here.

Think im going to have a go at making some clear lenses to see how the beam goes and if it can be done.iv got some perspex type stuff only its about 30mm thick and is meant to be a stand for a huge shop display.not sure how to go about cutting it though-dad mentioned somit about they use high pressured water to cut it.already took the lenses of the rado the other day think if they can polish the inside it would be a long hard job!

just had a thought(scary i know)what about the type of lense they have on 500w security lights?does nothing bout the beam but atleast they can take the heat?

This may sound silly but as anyone thought of seeking advice from a local glass place? I'm sure they can make a mould of the original lense and make clear ones. Just a thought.

spot on kev...i'll try my best to contact a few places this week when i get time.

Dubster- thanks for that mate, what do i need to have the later spec fogs/indicators then? My screws are lookin a bit rusty.

smiff- the evosports site has the standard lights for sale, so what exactly do the US spec lights look like?

I think it'd be so much easier to buy a spare set of lenses and get them polished by a glass place.

basically, if you want the new stuff, but the new fogs and indicators from GPC, take out your old stuff, knock out a panel behind the lighting, fit the new stuff. simple.

HTH

Think I'm going to ask a few glass places in the local area to see if they would be able to make a mould and then produce some clear versions. Only probs is I need some late spec lights now. Anyone got a spare set??

Ben

This is my corrado on Evolution Sports site https://www.evolutionsports.com/product ... 1#bigImage

they are the standard Hella E code lights. As i said before, if you buy new lenses at the VW Dealer, you will get the nice clear look you want. The lense is designed to direct the light where you need it. Without it it's just like a flashlight putting light everywhere.

U.S. lights are really foggy looking, no where near as clear as E codes. Sorry i don't have any better pics showing them then this:

ww03_4467.jpg

On MIke's Corrado, the clear fog lenses are Blazer brand covers. This is the alternative to replacing your cracked fogs with new ones. You cut off the old lense and glue on the universal cover.