Sign in to follow this  
H13VYY

Test drove a corrado

I test drove a corrado for the first time today. I got a few queries.

1. the accelerator pedal was quite stiff compared to my golf mk3 vr6 highline, is this normal?

2. The gearbox seemed a little loose unlike the one on my golf which is nice and tight, again is this normal?

Other than that I enjoyed the drive.

my accelerator pedal in my corrado feels totaly different to the one in my bmw 130

perhaps its got a new cable ? and the gearbox will feel a little loose as they linkages are 15+ years old but it should not feel like a stick in a bucket !! :D

all cars vary mate i tend to enjoy the corrado for being the corrado and not a golf as i drove a mates mk 3 vr6 and thought it was nasty compaired to the corrado

he felt the same as its quite a diffeent drive

depends what corrado really. my throttle is stiffer than the make two golf i had. not an issue though.

gearbox it depends really, the cable change are always a little loose in my experience

throttle cables do need changing from time to time, some of the Corrado ones take quite severe bends as the cars were designed for LHD pedal positions a new cable will make it so much better

gear linkages on the corrados can vary a lot, the early ones especially can have a lot of play in them which can be improved by re-bushing the gearlever and swapping components at the selector tower on top of the box

VW modified the parts every year from release of o2A boxes to the end of the mk3 production and beyond, later the car the better generally, although worn selector forks or synchros can't be fixed as easily and cheaply.

When I first drove my C i noticed the throttle was very stiff compaired to my golf.

When I first drove my C i noticed the throttle was very stiff compaired to my golf.

yeah... id say mine was a little stiff compared to my polo... But ive never changed the cable :shrug:

The gears being sloppy could be that particular car though mate... my gear box after a change of oil was v.good indeed

Yeh the corrado i test drove was a 'K' reg so it was one of the early models.

i thought k was late?

I had the throttle cable changed on my first Storm at about 110k miles.

The difference was amazing as you don't realise how 'bad' it is getting as it slowly deteriorates.

i Think Im right in saying that a highline doesnt have a throttle cable. So that prob where your finding the difference there

Just ordered one for my 16v - £26 after discount. Pretty sure they're all still available.

Thats good to know, wouldnt hurt in getting one. 8)

I take it they are easy to change?

Also how do you get the discount?

Easy enough to change the cable, although getting the grommet to sit in the scuttle bulkhead can be a pain.

All cables still available and it is job that is worth doing, pedal difference is huge.

All the newer Golfs etc are drive by wire so there is no cable to provide resistance, in fact the Mk IV R32s used to have the throttle programmed in a difference way, you get about 50% opening for a 1/4 throttle....

Easy enough to change the cable, although getting the grommet to sit in the scuttle bulkhead can be a pain.

All cables still available and it is job that is worth doing, pedal difference is huge.

All the newer Golfs etc are drive by wire so there is no cable to provide resistance, in fact the Mk IV R32s used to have the throttle programmed in a difference way, you get about 50% opening for a 1/4 throttle....

Sounds good.

Sorry to take this more off topic but can any one tell me the part numbers?

I too would be interested in knowing this. Is it expensive to get the dealership to do it? Don't know if I'm confident enough handling this myself.

I too would be interested in knowing this. Is it expensive to get the dealership to do it? Don't know if I'm confident enough handling this myself.

I ordered one today £29 for it, will be getting it friday.

How so you guys get discount?

your ccgb will get you discount from vw i believe. as its an official vw group.

trade is the other way

your ccgb will get you discount from vw i believe. as its an official vw group.

trade is the other way

Right, thanks for that, will give it a go friday :D

Sorry, going even more off topic.

Getting discount really depends on the dealer as they are all franchises and only really look out for themselves.

Once you start getting a name for yourself as the Corrado nutcase that spends a lot of money replacing all sorts of bits and pieces you should always be getting discount.

On asking at our dealer (who Kip has used for year and years and who now know me too) they give a sliding scale depending on the parts being bought and the total amount spent :shock:

Rear wheel bearings they almost give away!

Where do you use as your delaer? I had my first Storm dealer serviced and MOTed Gloucester way for 8 years.

Sorry, going even more off topic.

Getting discount really depends on the dealer as they are all franchises and only really look out for themselves.

Once you start getting a name for yourself as the Corrado nutcase that spends a lot of money replacing all sorts of bits and pieces you should always be getting discount.

On asking at our dealer (who Kip has used for year and years and who now know me too) they give a sliding scale depending on the parts being bought and the total amount spent :shock:

Rear wheel bearings they almost give away!

Where do you use as your delaer? I had my first Storm dealer serviced and MOTed Gloucester way for 8 years.

Fair enough.

I will be using Blade vw just on the out side of Gloucester.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&source=hp&ie=UTF8&q=blade+vw+gloucester&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=blade+vw&hnear=gloucester&view=map&cid=170936215450391286&iwloc=A&ved=0CBsQpQY&sa=X&ei=W9pyS7WhFs21OIS2tY0B

The marker is off slightly tho its on the corner of priory road just up from it

Ah, Blade. I knew them well.

I wont go into all that old history but search for my early posts in 2005 for a few of the details re why I've never trusted a dealership to work on my car since.

Spares is another matter though and as you have to go somewhere so long as they treat you right I'm sure Blade is as good as anywhere.

I just hope the tw@t that thought I should be impressed that he used to work for Merc or some other car manufactor... can't really remember who [obviously I wasn't impressed]..... doesn't still work there as I wouldn't wish having to deal with him on anyone :pukeright: Can you tell I'm still pissed off with him / his attitude? :bad-words:

The Hereford dealer with a site on the Ross / Monmouth road just down from Symonds Yat always had a good reputation but I guess they are well out of your way!!

Ah, Blade. I knew them well.

I wont go into all that old history but search for my early posts in 2005 for a few of the details re why I've never trusted a dealership to work on my car since.

Spares is another matter though and as you have to go somewhere so long as they treat you right I'm sure Blade is as good as anywhere.

I just hope the tw@t that thought I should be impressed that he used to work for Merc or some other car manufactor... can't really remember who [obviously I wasn't impressed]..... doesn't still work there as I wouldn't wish having to deal with him on anyone :pukeright: Can you tell I'm still pissed off with him / his attitude? :bad-words:

The Hereford dealer with a site on the Ross / Monmouth road just down from Symonds Yat always had a good reputation but I guess they are well out of your way!!

I will have a search in a mo. I've been there once before and the parts guy wasnt very interested at all and didnt really care. But the guy I spoke to on the phone today was realy helpfull and friendly.

The Hereford one isnt realy that far out the way from where I live, I just use blade as its down the road from my work.

Any way I think we should get back to topic.