Sign in to follow this  
kuksool

G60 life expectancy of cambelt!

going to look at a corrado finnaly!

its cambelt was changed at 70k its now done 100K but the cambelt was done about 5 years ago is this ok or should i get it replaced because its been on there for 5 years!

Scott

Depends on your money situation and if you can do it yourself. Mine has been on 3 years and 30K I plan to do it when the weather warms up.

Would you want it to break when they only cost a fiver?

Even VW have reasonable prices for stuff like cambelt changes on older Dubs. Might be worth ringing a few? Do the poly V and PS belt at the same time if you do it.

Gavin

Do the poly V and PS belt at the same time if you do it.

Don;t forget to change the tensioner for a new one! they're only a tenner, so the parts should come to less than £40 for everything! 8)

vag dont offer any form of garantee unless u change the tensioner at the same time........... I very much doubt however that if you turn up in the parts dept with a snapped belt, a new tensioner and an reciept and ask for a new engine, that they will say 'certainly sir' :cry: :( :mad: :evil:

Vw jus told me that the cambelt is changed every 60,000 miles or 7 years what ever comes sooner... but did reccomend i check it and that if it needs a new one its cost roughly £270 inc vat for tensioner, belt, fitting

VAG say 80k if not before on most cars of that age, mine was changed after 55k after 'visible signs of wear' but not sure if VAG changed it so going to do it again just incase!

From the dealer, the Belt was £4.50 and the tensioner £18 I also bought the nut and washer which were a few pence extra(these were club prices and don't include VAT)

supercharged

where do youget your g60 serviced im in mildenhall suffolk!!!

Scott

He doesn't service it. He bought loads of stuff yonks ago that's still sitting in his boot, the lazy git :lol:

He prefers the company Astra diesel he drives around in as it's a lot quicker :lol:

K

kuksool, my local dealer is Wolsey in Ipswich - there pretty good for parts but I wouldnt trust them to work on the car! - I have heard alot of bad stories about them and alot of people round here drive to Stowmarket (Barnards) or all the way up to Bury for servicing because of better overall customer care.

Kev - DON'T diss the Vauxhall Ashtray man, Its reliable even if it does look like a minature fire engine!

Vw jus told me that the cambelt is changed every 60,000 miles or 7 years what ever comes sooner... but did reccomend i check it and that if it needs a new one its cost roughly £270 inc vat for tensioner, belt, fitting

Jesus, 270 quid for a cambelt change!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't cost much more to have one done on a 20Vt and you need to take the bumper off most cars with them in, A4s, Passats etc.

Do they have gold plated tools and stuff? :lol:

I'd ring a couple more dealers nearby and see what they quote you. The prices are not fixed by VW just the delear in question. Get a breakdown of the cost as well, so you know everything you are paying for.

Gavin