Sign in to follow this  
andy

Mk2 3dr vs 5dr wheelbase

Does a Mk2 Golf 3dr have a different wheelbase to a 5 dr. I'm doubting they are different but have been told they are.

Any thoughts?

They are the same

Random fact - the Renault 16 had a longer wheelbase on one side than the other

Thanks chaps, was the Renault designed like that, if so why....

Yes the 16 was designed that way, the rear supension was torsion bars I think and the way they were arranged resulted in different wheelbases either side, seem to remember the difference being something like 7cm (so not exactly a tiny difference).

Renault seem to have a habit of doing strange things, the 21 had different wheelbases depending on whether it was a transverse engined or longnitudinally engined

the mk2 golf 5 door is actually stiffer than the 3 door.

I would agree, the pillar between the doors is stronger due to it havin the rear door hangin from it and the rear door is stiffer than the 3dr rear quarter panel, seem to remember subaru used the 5door in the wrc due to the same reason

A chap at work reckons the 5 door is better on a track than a 3 door, I questioned this ,naturally, and he said its due to the longer wheelbase of the 5 door. (which is apparently b0ll0cks!) I think he's trying to justify his own purchase of a 5 dr model! I can't see how a 5 door can be stiffer without significant bracing/extra metal.

The B pillar would have to be enormous to offset the sodding great big hole immediately aft of it - there is no way the 5 door MK2 Golf has a stiifer bodyshell than the 3 door, same applies for any 3 door vs 5 door car.

Subaru initially used the 4 door Impreza because it was the stiffest bodyshell, no 2 door Impreza existed at the time and the 4 door was stiffer than the 5 door, the 2 door eventually replaced the 4 door when the 2 door model was homologated and it replaced the 4 door because, surprise, surprise it was stiffer than the 4 door

If there was ever a time for a Harry Hill stylee 'FIGHT!' this is it.

We should get one of each and roll them to find out, however i heard that the mk3 5 door was stiffer than the 3 door mk3 but i can't comment for the mk2's.